Question about managing epoxy effect on skimmer

Psi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year all! I recently bought a few turbo snails to help with some algae. Having heard they can be rough on aquascape (bulldozer, I believe was the term), I decided to reinforce my rocks with some WaterWeld epoxy. I used enough that my skimmer freaked out. I have read several solutions -leave skimmer off a few days, dial down the skimmer, raise the skimmer, or do water change. My question relates to the water change approach - Does anyone know if it would make a difference if I remove existing tank water via siphon (as I usually do) versus letting the skimmer remove it by running really wet into an external bucket? In other words, do you think the skimmer actually helps to remove whatever causes the excess foaming, or is it just reacting to it? Any thoughts appreciated.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year all! I recently bought a few turbo snails to help with some algae. Having heard they can be rough on aquascape (bulldozer, I believe was the term), I decided to reinforce my rocks with some WaterWeld epoxy. I used enough that my skimmer freaked out. I have read several solutions -leave skimmer off a few days, dial down the skimmer, raise the skimmer, or do water change. My question relates to the water change approach - Does anyone know if it would make a difference if I remove existing tank water via siphon (as I usually do) versus letting the skimmer remove it by running really wet into an external bucket? In other words, do you think the skimmer actually helps to remove whatever causes the excess foaming, or is it just reacting to it? Any thoughts appreciated.
This. Whatever your skimmer doesn't like is what's going into the collection cup, so if you're just going to change out the water anyway, why not this way :)

OP
OP
Psi

Psi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding Crabs! That was kind of my thinking but wondered what others thought.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back