Question on best means to connect Reefer 250 to UV to Apex Flow Sensor to Sicce Pump

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I apologize for typing this on the go as @revtree hasn’t released the R2R app. Please excuse brevity and typos!

I am being restricted by connections and tubing diameter, resulting in only 350-370 GPH max with a Sicce 4.0 and 300-320 GPH with Sicce 3.0 from the sump using nothing but a straight tubing 5/8 OD and 1/2 ID tubing (the likely culprit).

I need to replace or use the Red Sea Spigot that is sold for the original Reefer 250 return, to a 3/4 barb on both sides of the UV, down to the oversized 1 inch unions the Apex Flow Sensor uses and then to another spigot or something that will connect the Sicce 3.0 to that. I also gage an extra SDC 3.0 pump too if needed but I hear PEX is the way to go, with a bit of flex tubing at the end.

Lowes is the closest thing to me, but I can do Home Depot if I need to or order from Amazon as well.

I cannot for the life of me figure out the most solid way of doing this without knowing more about PEX or plumbing. Could anyone suggest some parts for this as a replacement to get the 650 GPH expected?

All suggestions welcome, parts list desired. Thanks everybody!

Regards,
OfficeReefer

IMG_1506.jpg E2C5087C-15C1-4CDE-9A12-6333BC4FC05A.jpeg

OP
OP
OfficeReefer

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I used to remove the existing return pipe and fitting.

1677891159676.png

Then, I need to remove this barb and go to a larger one that is 3/4 OD to match the UV barbs.

Afterwards, I then need to connect them to the oversized Apex Flow Sensor 1 inch unions. Afterwards, to the Sicce pump, which has both a 5/8 and 3/4 barb fitting if I recall. I'm thinking that cutting some PEX is the best way, but I'd need to use 1 inch PEX to permit the 3/4 barb on the Aqua Advantage 2000+ and it might not make sense being that I only require 5 feet or less of pipe.

Any thoughts with this or suggested parts from Lowe's, Home Depot or Amazon?

Thank you,
OfficeReefer

OP
OP
OfficeReefer

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing this would work to remedy the smaller barb from the return fitting under the tank and permit PEX A, maybe B to fit onto this and the UV 3/4 barb.

1677892656391.png

Then I would do the same from the second UV barb to something like this, which is connected to the 1 inch Apex Flow Sensors on both sides, but instead of 1 inch PEX A or B, use Flex PVC or similar to the Sicce barb.

1677892808661.png

Then I would need something like this to secure it altogether.

Am I on the right path here? Does anyone see an issue with this working?

OP
OP
OfficeReefer

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have found a better way and certainly for far less (not that PEX is bad as I hear its the best).

Then to UV and then more of the same pipe to the spigot shown above

Then from the Flow Sensor to the Sicce pump, perhaps with some Flex PVC. I will connect it all up with the following

For those with a Lowe's, I ended up going to two of them before I found these at Home Depot. I suppose it really is where the "doers get more done".

I am not entirely certain though of its safety. @bblumberg would you have any thoughts on safety with this?

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your question about PEX, polypropylene or polyethylene? All have been used safely for aquariums and potable water systems.

OP
OP
OfficeReefer

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Bruce! Thanks for responding. I was curious if it were safe to use polyethylene (sprinkler tubing) safely with reef systems, since most on here use PVC or have recommended PEX. I am about to cut a few pieces to size and implement them in my return from the sump this week.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that with low density polyethylene (LDPE) tubing such as sprinkler tubing, the main issue is that it can get brittle over time and leak/break. I'd stick with more sturdy polyethylene variants such as PEX (frequently used for plumbing) or LLDPE (used for RO units) tubing.

Nearly all types of plastics leach chemicals into water over time. The levels are low and may, or may not cause any obvious effects. There is nothing we can really do about that since I don't know how to run an aquarium (other than a small one) without plastic tubing or pipes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back