Question on QT every new fish

momars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Please don't throw hate at me for the dumb questions. Long story short, lost all the fishes due to an outbreak recently. Lesson learned, QT every new fish. Will restart once fallow period is done.

Can some one please educate me on how to QT fishes? Any article I can refer to?

What common medications I need to keep handy (I am in Canada), so it will be a struggle getting hands on them.

After adding the new fish into QT tank, do I wait for them to show any symptoms of diseases (Ich, Fluke etc. )or start dosing them before hand?

How many days should i keep an eye on them for symptoms if any before I put them into DT.

Please help.

Thank you.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can some one please educate me on how to QT fishes? Any article I can refer to?
The one above is our expert's (Jay Hemdal) current recommendation for us hobbyists.

There are lots of ways to do it. Most differences of QT protocol comes down to philosophies and risk tolerance.

What common medications I need to keep handy (I am in Canada), so it will be a struggle getting hands on them.
I would recommend people QTing to keep Prazi-Pro and either Copper Power or Coppersafe on hand. I know Canada has rules about medications. I won't tell you to smuggle that stuff in, but I would smuggle that stuff in. If you feel like doing the work, Tank Transfer Method does work well for Ich. It does not treat anything else, and you still need a tank for the fish to go in after it's done.

After adding the new fish into QT tank, do I wait for them to show any symptoms of diseases (Ich, Fluke etc. )or start dosing them before hand?
That's sometimes a philosophical thing. I like to get the fish eating first for a couple days, especially if the fish has recently been in transit and/or is skinny. The exception is if I and seeing symptoms, I would start immediately.
How many days should i keep an eye on them for symptoms if any before I put them into DT.
If only observing, and not medicating? I would go a couple months. And I would medicate if I saw any symptoms.

The easiest way to QT is to have a cycled QT set up. A 20 Long with an air driven sponge filter, and a heater, and enough light to observe the fish is all that is needed.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resized_20231130_144528.jpeg

Heres my qt setup. I keep it running all the time with mollies in it. Mollies are great because they are cheap, hardy,docile and are always out making new additions feel safe.

Cheap tank, heater and light and 30g fluval filter. Air stones too. This tank is hidden in basement so its not meant for public viewing.

Got 4 new fish chillin in it right now.

Let the algae run wild. Great filtration.

Never medicate unless you see sick fish. Feed 3 times a day if possible. Get them use to them seeing you come to tank with food. Mollies will show them cuz they grew up in captivity so will be smashing faces against glass the minute you walk in room.

Good luck

I usually only do 2 -3 weeks unless i see sickness.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While many fear QT or the thought of quarantine, it has its benefits mainly in the fact that it will be harder to catch a fish and risk having to treat all the occupants when a given disease arises. At Minimum, I recommend a 60-90 minute bath but QT most effective

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back