Yet another QT question

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protocol for Prazi is to dose with the directions once, then do it again 8 days later to get the eggs.

I have combined Prazi and copper without issue. I'm not sure if that's risky or not. I would ensure good aeration if you're doing that. You could also wait, like you said, since you aren't seeing other symptoms.

Also, check the copper concentration in the water again to make sure the rocks haven't absorbed any of it.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protocol for Prazi is to dose with the directions once, then do it again 8 days later to get the eggs.

I have combined Prazi and copper without issue. I'm not sure if that's risky or not. I would ensure good aeration if you're doing that. You could also wait, like you said, since you aren't seeing other symptoms.

Also, check the copper concentration in the water again to make sure the rocks haven't absorbed any of it.
I've used both at the same time for an emergency situation with no losses, but there's so many conflicting stories about Dwarf Angels being more sensitive to medications that I'm not sure I want to mix multiple meds if I don't need to.

No real rock - just plastic.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a quick look this morning and the Lemonpeel looks better, but it was just with a small flashlight so I'm not sure. I'll take a better look this afternoon once the lights come on to be sure.

I planned for Prazi after the copper treatment is done, but I've got about 3 weeks to go still. I'm thinking I should monitor and hold off on dosing both concurrently if it doesn't spread or start causing other symptoms. Does that sound reasonable? Or should I start Prazi now? I know flukes aren't good, but also not necessarily a death sentence.

Correct - I try not to run those two treatments at the same time unless I have to. Cloudy eyes would be a good reason to run both if that develops.

Neobenedenia is a death sentence, but it is slow to kill, so it is always best to treat for possible protozoans first, then flukes.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I checked the Lemonpeel around lunchtime, again around 5, and again about 15 minutes ago. No sign of “ruffled” scales, and everything else is still going well.

If it wasn’t actually scales, or some sort of bug, I have no clue what it could have been other than maybe he swam through the air stone bubbles and they attached for some reason, but that seems like a stretch.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this morning I noticed the Lemonpeel now has a few dozen small black spots on both sides. Other than that everything is good. Eating, swimming, etc.

Black Ich? Obviously copper does nothing as QT has been between 2.21 & 2.33 since 04/01.

Treatment options?

He wouldn’t hold still much for video, but there’s a decent view at about the 38 second mark, and I’ve attached some screenshots as well.

IMG_5177.png

IMG_5177.jpeg

#fishmedic

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this morning I noticed the Lemonpeel now has a few dozen small black spots on both sides. Other than that everything is good. Eating, swimming, etc.

Black Ich? Obviously copper does nothing as QT has been between 2.21 & 2.33 since 04/01.

Treatment options?

He wouldn’t hold still much for video, but there’s a decent view at about the 38 second mark, and I’ve attached some screenshots as well.

IMG_5177.png

IMG_5177.jpeg

#fishmedic

That does look like black ich. I’ve never seen that on a lemonpeel before.

There are a few parasites that cause this symptom, including two species of turbellarian worm. You’ll read everywhere (including here) to use prazi. That only works on one species that causes this symptom though. It seems to work in other cases because in some cases, this disease dies out on its own, treated or not.

Formalin dips work for all species, but that is toxic to use in homes, and you need to move the fish to a sterile tank.

What I would do is run a praziquantel treatment in case it is the one species that will help with.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like black ich. I’ve never seen that on a lemonpeel before.

There are a few parasites that cause this symptom, including two species of turbellarian worm. You’ll read everywhere (including here) to use prazi. That only works on one species that causes this symptom though. It seems to work in other cases because in some cases, this disease dies out on its own, treated or not.

Formalin dips work for all species, but that is toxic to use in homes, and you need to move the fish to a sterile tank.

What I would do is run a praziquantel treatment in case it is the one species that will help with.
Should I follow the normal QT protocol and wait for Prazipro, or should I start now? I’ve only got about 3 days left with copper treatment.

I don’t know how serious a problem that black ich is.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back