Rainbow Chalices - Let's talk about them!

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m and m - If you do not own a piece dynamite, flash bomb, or atom bomb, how do you know that they do or don't look like what you own?
Spaceman has a point that all 3 are in same pic with same lighting. And same enhancements if any are done..
I don't own any, I wish I did!! But Atom bomb takes the cake IMO.

Last edited:

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow the flaming bugatti and dynamite look very different as colonies, great shot of the bugaati, I had never seen the mother before.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m and m- If you are going to come into this thread and spout off all of your superior knowledge because you are "in the know", why don't you back up some your claims with proof and enlighten us regular, mortal reefers. And now it seems you're goal is to cause even more drama? Thanks for adding your nice pictures to the thread......because that's about all you've done in this thread and since becoming a sponsor.

What superior knowledge am I spouting out? That some in fact on that list are the same piece. I was not attacking anyone nor did I say which ones are so how am I causing drama? You in fact are causing the drama by jumping at me with this post, I have yet to say anything negative or attack anyone If I have done that in this thread please point it out and show me all I have done was contribute my knowledge in this thread.

Actually my Dynamite looks alot like Mike's picture. See how his and mine has that nice shine to it. The bugatti doesn't have that. And the 2nd pic you posted is the Flash Bomb, not Atom Bomb which is the one I have. My atom bomb looks alot like Mike's picture also. As I mentioned earlier, my piece has that purple hue over it which you can see in his colony.

Here's the Flaming Bugatti colony pic from Rich. Funny how I can replicate the color and shine of Mike's pics but not the Flaming Bugatti. And I put all 3 frags in the same picture so no one can say its different lighting or picture exposure.

From the picture you posted unsaturated it looks nothing like the the Dynamite pictures I posted from the originator. It must be one of those bad angles or weird lighting situations, Because clearly the mother is allot brighter then yours.

m and m - If you do not own a piece dynamite, flash bomb, or atom bomb, how do you know that they do or don't look like what you own?
Spaceman has a point that all 3 are in same pic with same lighting. And same enhancements if any are done..
I don't own any, I wish I did!! But Atom bomb takes the cake IMO.

I have seen two of those three in person, and luckily I own 8 out of those 12 chalices mentioned so I believe I can give a accurate opinion. Even at that I know where almost all of those chalices came from the exact wholesaler.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m & m- I dont even know why I am responding to you. Your intent was to cause drama by posting Mike's pics and saying something akin to: "looks like your pieces have some coloring to do cause they dont look like the mother colonies..." It's basically your way of indirectly saying Mike's pics are shopped/over saturated/altered or whatever you want to call it, and that the coloration is unattainable. If you say otherwise you are lying.

Last edited:

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is why I've sold so many frags of my trio the last couple Weeks.. Lol. Great thread. Back to golf.... Go tiger!!
I hear that bro! I'm off to the course as well after I finish some fragging. Shot a 69 the other day, watch out Tiger I'm coming for you!!!LOL

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any of these at the moment, but this thread has been very useful in coming to a conclusion as to which one I may buy as I don't have deep pockets. As for the comment about the frag not looking like the SC pic, it could easily be taken as a dig and seems to just bring down what was otherwise a great discussion.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear that bro! I'm off to the course as well after I finish some fragging. Shot a 69 the other day, watch out Tiger I'm coming for you!!!LOL

If you took the time to read this thread, which I doubt you have done yet Space stated all his pieces are colored perfect. Was that not said by him? Yes it was, then he attacked me by saying his is colored perfect and mine is saturated/brightened...Now look at the picture he posted that he claims is unaltered and what it looks like does that look like the mother? No, it does not I have never said I think the mother is altered. I have seen the Dynamite in person and that first photo I posted is pretty accurate a little brighter but good representation. Now for space to claim that the FB is colored and all his other corals are as well when clearing his pictures look NOTHING like the mother picture......

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you took the time to read this thread, which I doubt you have done yet Space stated all his pieces are colored perfect. Was that not said by him? Yes it was, then he attacked me by saying his is colored perfect and mine is saturated/brightened...Now look at the picture he posted that he claims is unaltered and what it looks like does that look like the mother? No, it does not I have never said I think the mother is altered. I have seen the Dynamite in person and that first photo I posted is pretty accurate a little brighter but good representation. Now for space to claim that the FB is colored and all his other corals are as well when clearing his pictures look NOTHING like the mother picture......
I have READ the entire thread, I'm not one of those guys who is here for the pretty pictures....I just read this post and I'll I got from it was this: blah blah blah, cry whine, blah blah I was attacked, wa wa cry cry..I'm done responding to you here and on this forum entirely.

Yo do post some nice pics, tho!

Spaceman Spliff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the picture you posted unsaturated it looks nothing like the the Dynamite pictures I posted from the originator. It must be one of those bad angles or weird lighting situations, Because clearly the mother is allot brighter then yours.

I know you know photography so you can tell my original picture is underexposed. I wasn't trying to replicate Mike's photo or show off my photography skills but show all 3 under the same conditions and its obvious all 3 are different. I think everyone here can agree the 2 SC pieces look brighter and have a nice shine to them. Take into consideration they were placed at the bottom of my tank and photographed through the glass. Mike's picture looks to be top down, better exposed and under intense light so of course it photographed brighter. One day I'll take pictures of them higher in the tank getting blasted with light so people can see my colors are accurate. I wish I had the flash bomb too so we could see all of them side by side.

And you know, looking at your bugatti frag and the mother, they don't look much alike either. His has a yellow/green rim, yours is orange and seafoam green and the color shades just look off on the whole thing. Maybe yours is still coloring up too.

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever happened to just wanting a nice fish tank to look at? Is this really what the saltwater hobby has become?

What is the point of having 5+ corals that all look alike? Imagine how boring a tank would look with the same 8 acros growing in it! :tongue:

I guess it doesn't matter to compare because no one grows these chalices out to a size that matters anyways.....

(in most cases, there's always a few exceptions :D )

Last edited:

roblshan2000

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my fishies Ian, but I think everyone here knew it was only a matter of time before this thread would get good. Good reading, lol

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the point of having 5+ corals that all look alike? Imagine how boring a tank would look with the same 8 acros growing in it! :tongue:

I guess it doesn't matter to compare because no one grows these chalices out to a size that matters anyways.....

Actually, Ian, I have to admit, I'm guilty of this. Certain chalice "looks" do it for me, others don't. I have MANY JC Orange Sherbert type chalices. I love that look...the brushed yellow/orange color to the bumps... pink, orange, or same colored eyes. I also have several mummy eyes. Obviously WM types. Totally not into the pinstripe, widow maker, orengi/goku looking chalices :)o sorry folks). With these new rainbows coming out, I definitely want several, just not the exact same ones, which was part of the purpose of this thread.

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, Ian, I have to admit, I'm guilty of this. Certain chalice "looks" do it for me, others don't. I have MANY JC Orange Sherbert type chalices. I love that look...the brushed yellow/orange color to the bumps... pink, orange, or same colored eyes. I also have several mummy eyes. Obviously WM types. Totally not into the pinstripe, widow maker, orengi/goku looking chalices :)o sorry folks). With these new rainbows coming out, I definitely want several, just not the exact same ones, which was part of the purpose of this thread.
I'm with you Peter...of course I have a pretty wide collection to start with, but in my display I like to group similar ones together and see some differences in them. I have my dynamite, flash bomb, atom bomb, and shock fire all in the same area and I intend on leaving them there to mature into sizeable colonies and to compare growth, color, pattern etc. I also like to group my watermelon and mummy eye types as well and compare those too...while there are many chalices that exhibit extremely similar color patterns and growth structure, they are not all the same. This has been and I'm sure will continue to be an interesting thread :tongue:

IMG_6521.jpg

UFreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, what a hilarious thread. Posting pictures of tiny $1k frags that look almost identical, I bet the sponsors love these threads!

What ever happened to just wanting a nice fish tank to look at? Is this really what the saltwater hobby has become?

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MANY people (private folks and vendors alike) have sold MANY EXPENSIVE corals on this website... the corals being discussed here are a small, albeit recent, fraction. Let me enjoy the discussion; go start your own hilarious thread about coral size and pricing if you like.

I agree, what a hilarious thread. Posting pictures of tiny $1k frags that look almost identical, I bet the sponsors love these threads!

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ladies & Gentlemen, please keep this thread on topic without the childish bickering or it will be shut down. This started as a mature debate citing differences and similarities between the chalices in question, please keep it that way. If you'd like to start another thread regarding picture enhancement, feel free to do so... but this is not the place.

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll snap a pic of my shock fire when the lights come on. It has settled in very nicely, plump and happy. That's the other thing I like about these rainbows. I've said it before... they seem very hardy!!

I'm with you Peter...of course I have a pretty wide collection to start with, but in my display I like to group similar ones together and see some differences in them. I have my dynamite, flash bomb, atom bomb, and shock fire all in the same area and I intend on leaving them there to mature into sizeable colonies and to compare growth, color, pattern etc. I also like to group my watermelon and mummy eye types as well and compare those too...while there are many chalices that exhibit extremely similar color patterns and growth structure, they are not all the same. This has been and I'm sure will continue to be an interesting thread :tongue:

IMG_6521.jpg

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is 250W DE 14K Phoenix on Icecaps. LED's are blue PowerBrites. These are pretty accurate representations of what the corals look like in my tank, and on my computer monitor. Any post processing done was done equally to each set (LED or no LED) to counteract any funky stuff the point and shoot camera did to the photos. Small one is the Flashbomb, large one is the Dynamite, and the purple one is the Shockfire.

No LED:
3-noLEDC5R10.jpg

1-noLEDC5R10.jpg

4-noLEDB1C5R10.jpg

With LED:
5-LEDR20AB-20.jpg

6-LEDR20AB-20.jpg

4-LEDR20AB-20.jpg

1-LEDR10AB-20.jpg

2-LEDR20AB-20.jpg

Crazy Fox, for comparison of brightness, contrast:
3-LEDR20AB-20.jpg

Last edited:

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Pics Peter! I'm still loving the dynamite and flashbomb above the rest though. Can't wait for the crushes to get here. I'll do some side by side pics when they do.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back