Raising Alk without affecting ph

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What products are available to raise alkalinity but nothing else?

I currently dose all for reef manually once a day, it’s worked well for me until now. I can’t say I’m the best at testing regularly, but my last testing showed a drop in alkalinity but my other elements are at a level I’m ok with. I have Reef Builder by seachem which I’m using to get alk back up slowly but I was wondering if there was another product that does the same?
You can do a water change with Fritz salt in the red box. It’s there high alkalinity version

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, to be fair, I didn't know that it was was a wholesale size packaged bag of food grade Baking Soda.
If it's being sold for pool use I expected it would be labelled as such.

I have often seen folks using non food grade products in their reef tanks, especially swimming pool calcium, and was just sounding a warning.
I have been one of those people who has used many non food, or pharma grade chemicals but mostly in the past. As my corals have gotten more expensive I have started paying more attention to possible sources of contamination.

When I used to add solutions made from Prestone driveway heat and stump remover, bulk arm and hammer baking soda seemed like a minimal risk, lol.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the 13.5 lb bag and it has the same directions on how to use the baking soda as an antacid.
IMG_0342.jpeg
IMG_0343.jpeg

That is food grade. :)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but since I said I would post what reply I got from Church & Dwight here it is.
They said all of their products are 100% pure baking soda (which I think is a worthless claim) and that the only difference is the granule size.

Attachments

• IMG_0361.png
    IMG_0361.png
    252.1 KB · Views: 21

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but since I said I would post what reply I got from Church & Dwight here it is.
They said all of their products are 100% pure baking soda (which I think is a worthless claim) and that the only difference is the granule size.

Yes, worthless for a purity perspective, but still likely fine to use. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back