Random clarkii clownfish death

Boj4k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting for a friend
About a week ago my larger Clarkii clownfish started acting abnormal. First was I noticed she was swimming against the substrate sometimes and would dart around a few times into the glass. Her eating had dropped off some but not completely. She also was moving gravel from under a rock and actually was under the rock on her side. She saw me and swam out and was acting normal again. I had Thought she might be pregnant .Today she was fine I ran an errand was gone for about an hour and she was dead. Sea nems are doing well as is most of the soft corals.Her mate is fine and eating normal.

Tank is a 55 with a canister and Chinese reef lights. 4+months old with established live rock from other systems.
The clarkii had exhibited normal behavior for clownfish for the months leading up to the random death, was fed daily, and the tank is tested weekly. The person who I'm posting this for also has a separate tank that he's moved rock back and forth from which contains salt water mollies so I would think they would succumb to any disease first.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Posting for a friend
About a week ago my larger Clarkii clownfish started acting abnormal. First was I noticed she was swimming against the substrate sometimes and would dart around a few times into the glass. Her eating had dropped off some but not completely. She also was moving gravel from under a rock and actually was under the rock on her side. She saw me and swam out and was acting normal again. I had Thought she might be pregnant .Today she was fine I ran an errand was gone for about an hour and she was dead. Sea nems are doing well as is most of the soft corals.Her mate is fine and eating normal.

Tank is a 55 with a canister and Chinese reef lights. 4+months old with established live rock from other systems.
The clarkii had exhibited normal behavior for clownfish for the months leading up to the random death, was fed daily, and the tank is tested weekly. The person who I'm posting this for also has a separate tank that he's moved rock back and forth from which contains salt water mollies so I would think they would succumb to any disease first.
Need more info. With a canister unit, what was your nitrate and ammonia levels?
The behavior described can be either flukes or brooklynella but hard to confirm without pics and video

OP
OP
B

Boj4k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more info. With a canister unit, what was your nitrate and ammonia levels?
The behavior described can be either flukes or brooklynella but hard to confirm without pics and video
Non detectable ammonia and nitrates cross checked with multiple different api test kits, and again nothing was visible on the clowns and they weren't breathing hard like mine were when I thought I had brook taking out fish. I'll see if I can't get some decent pictures added onto here

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back