Recurring Bacterial Bloom

D_0827

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I wanted to share a tiny success that I’ve had with a recurring bacterial bloom.

My tank is about 5 months old, never have had crystal clear water which I’ve been told it’s kind of normal in a new tank. Redsea reefer 170.
Recently after adding more live rock (not sure if it’s related somehow) I started experiencing back to back bacterial blooms. It looked horrible and was pretty frustrating.. I added carbon (it did nothing) but decided I would ride out the bloom. This was going on for a month and a half.
Water changes didn’t help (normal when it comes to BBs).

Anyways the solution that I came across that has helped for anyone going through this was Seachem Clarity. I added 3 bottle caps and about 36 hours later my tank was clearing up and a whole lot of gunk in the filter sock which I’m still changing out every 2 days.

I’ve added a before and after video. The lighting doesn’t give a clear picture of what the tank was going through but I couldn’t even see the power head standing from the front of my tank.

Good luck to anyone going through this same issue and hope this helps someone a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_3943.mov
    22.9 MB
  • IMG_3970.mov
    32.1 MB

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally once a week.

After the bacterial bloom I was changing out filter socks every single day.
Now Im changing every 2 days.

Usually these blooms come from something rotting, so adding scavengers and cleaning socks frequently should help prevent them. You can always buy a cheap UV sterilizer to help. It might not be a bad idea to run the UV at night as a precaution (as that is when oxygen is lowest and the blooms become dangerous) if these blooms are frequent and you cant identify the source.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 39 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 34 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back