Red Flatworms in Barebottom LPS tank?

MaverickReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have a 125 gallon LPS dominant barebottom reef tank. Recently I've started noticing some red flatworms (planaria) on my live rock and want to do something to combat them. They haven't been noticably affecting my corals, but I'm sure it would be better if I get rid of them. I've been researching ways to get rid of them and have come up with 3 ways to combat them, but I'm not sure what is the best long term for the reef.

The 3 main options I have seen are:

Manually remove with 3/8 siphon and filter sock, then use a chemical product such as flatworm exit. Would have to do multiple rounds because it doesn't kill the eggs and it could cause a mass toxin breakout from the die off. Can use carbon to mitigate that risk.

Option 2: manually remove and add a wrasse such as a six-line or melanarus. Would have to add a bowl of sand behind rockwork for them to sleep in. A bonus with this is that they have other pest control benefits, but probably won't exterminate all of the flatworms.

Option 3: similar to option 2, but use blue velvet nudibranchs.

Any advice on what you would do in this situation or how you were able to beat red flatworms?

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had success with flatworm exit multiple times over the years. I always hit them as soon as I notice, because they tend to progress to plague numbers. As you stated above, multiple applications will be needed.

Upvote 1

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have a 125 gallon LPS dominant barebottom reef tank. Recently I've started noticing some red flatworms (planaria) on my live rock and want to do something to combat them. They haven't been noticably affecting my corals, but I'm sure it would be better if I get rid of them. I've been researching ways to get rid of them and have come up with 3 ways to combat them, but I'm not sure what is the best long term for the reef.

The 3 main options I have seen are:

Manually remove with 3/8 siphon and filter sock, then use a chemical product such as flatworm exit. Would have to do multiple rounds because it doesn't kill the eggs and it could cause a mass toxin breakout from the die off. Can use carbon to mitigate that risk.

Option 2: manually remove and add a wrasse such as a six-line or melanarus. Would have to add a bowl of sand behind rockwork for them to sleep in. A bonus with this is that they have other pest control benefits, but probably won't exterminate all of the flatworms.

Option 3: similar to option 2, but use blue velvet nudibranchs.

Any advice on what you would do in this situation or how you were able to beat red flatworms?
FW exit or wrasse

Upvote 0

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 104 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back