Red, itchy and burning of fingers

naybedg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall so I’m new to the saltwater aquarium reef tanks and I just started one not long ago and have handled some coral but just yesterday night my thumb and index finger started burning a bit, didn’t think much of it until today it started itching more and burning more and now it’s even red. Does anyone know if this happens when handling some coral or just cuz of the saltwater? But all my other fingers aren’t like this.

IMG_3507.jpeg IMG_3506.jpeg IMG_3508.jpeg IMG_3509.jpeg

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it may seem cumbersome but you should look into getting a pair of shoulder length gloves on Amazon for working in the tank. After you get used to it it becomes quite convenient since it is easier to wipe those down with a towel than wash your hands. When doing more delicate work like fragging coral I use latex gloves.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall so I’m new to the saltwater aquarium reef tanks and I just started one not long ago and have handled some coral but just yesterday night my thumb and index finger started burning a bit, didn’t think much of it until today it started itching more and burning more and now it’s even red. Does anyone know if this happens when handling some coral or just cuz of the saltwater? But all my other fingers aren’t like this.

IMG_3507.jpeg IMG_3506.jpeg IMG_3508.jpeg IMG_3509.jpeg
What is in your tank? Fish, corals inverts will help. Im deathly allergic to lion fish venom (literally) so it could be anything that is irritating you

OP
OP
N

naybedg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of coral? Was it on a rock? Did you touch rock while handling coral?

This is important because bristle worms will get you while messing around their home.
I was handling Kenya tree, toadstool leather, green star polyps, mushrooms. They are on live rock. I touched the rocks while handling the corals. What do I do or what can I put on my fingers to make it go away?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was handling Kenya tree, toadstool leather, green star polyps, mushrooms. They are on live rock. I touched the rocks while handling the corals. What do I do or what can I put on my fingers to make it go away?
If handling rocks, I'd seriously think about wearing gloves. Those bristle worms are gunna get you. It burns, itches lasts a few days or more depending on person.

Vinegar is reported to disolve the bristles, never worked for me.

When touching coral flesh, wash hands well. May need to use peroxide if it irritates your skin.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Benadryl and immediate care if gets worse or doesn't go away.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A leather could excrete turpins, it’s chemical warfare, but have no idea if it would do that.

I was thinking the rock.

Polysporin may ease that.

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Its probably bristle worms. try to see if you still have bristles in your skin, easier to see under blue light. for me it never lasts more than a couple days. if i can see and remove the bristles, then it usually doesn't bother me at all.

all i can say is if it doesn't go away in a couple days see a dr. cause everyone reacts a little different and who knows you might be allergic to something in there.

OP
OP
N

naybedg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is in your tank? Fish, corals inverts will help. Im deathly allergic to lion fish venom (literally) so it could be anything that is irritating you
I’m not allergic to anything at all, but I had clownfish, canary blenny, royal gramma and twin spot goby but sadly died due to water being high on ammonia, and I have one cleaner snail.

OP
OP
N

naybedg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its probably bristle worms. try to see if you still have bristles in your skin, easier to see under blue light. for me it never lasts more than a couple days. if i can see and remove the bristles, then it usually doesn't bother me at all.

all i can say is if it doesn't go away in a couple days see a dr. cause everyone reacts a little different and who knows you might be allergic to something in there.
Omg now I’m a bit worried. I’ll look and make an appointment asap

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bristle from the worms is finer than fiberglass shards, I doubt you could see them with the nakid eye. especially if your tank is young, the worms would be really tiny most likely.

Do you have any Zoa's or Paly's in your tank? You may be allergic to palytoxin. if so add Activated Carbon in your system? Should do this anyways as it aids in water clarity and odor reduction.
Did you have any abrasions or cuts in the affected area? Salt Water is brackish, it is full of nasty stuff that can cause dermal irritations.

If when rubbing the affected area you felt tiny stabs or stings in a particular spot, Dab that area with Duct Tape, soak that area in 12% h2o2. That could be the bristleworm sting.

But as with anything, symptoms lasting more than 36 hours should get medical attention.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back