Red Sea 625 xxl sump question

Nick063

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m looking at trading my Red Sea 425 xl for a 625 xl, however he doesn’t have the original sump and wants to keep his aftermarket one. Would my 425xl sump be comparable with the volume of the 625xxl? Any foreseeable issues? Ty!

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont see why not, only little smaller. as long as your equipment can fit in it you should be good.

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at trading my Red Sea 425 xl for a 625 xl, however he doesn’t have the original sump and wants to keep his aftermarket one. Would my 425xl sump be comparable with the volume of the 625xxl? Any foreseeable issues? Ty!
How many gallons is the 425 sump. I have a 625 as well and the sump is 32 gallons. So the only issue I would think of would be flow maybe from the return? I’m new to this but I would think that would affect it somehow but don’t quote me on it?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few points to consider

1) I'm assuming with bigger tank you will get more fish. Would you need bigger equipments to handle the bigger bioload? If so, can your smaller sump fit the bigger equipment?

2) do you use your sump as a refugium? If so, it will be less effective because it will be harder to compete against the algae in the DT bc now relatively speaking it will have a smaller surface area for light and photosynthesis.

3) do you have an ATO? If not you will have a more frequent top off cadence bc larger tank = more evaporation so the water level in your current return chamber will drop faster.

OP
OP
Nick063

Nick063

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few points to consider

1) I'm assuming with bigger tank you will get more fish. Would you need bigger equipments to handle the bigger bioload? If so, can your smaller sump fit the bigger equipment?

2) do you use your sump as a refugium? If so, it will be less effective because it will be harder to compete against the algae in the DT bc now relatively speaking it will have a smaller surface area for light and photosynthesis.

3) do you have an ATO? If not you will have a more frequent top off cadence bc larger tank = more evaporation so the water level in your current return chamber will drop faster.

ty for the follow up, we ended up trading sumps as well…got a trigger sump

OP
OP
Nick063

Nick063

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many gallons is the 425 sump. I have a 625 as well and the sump is 32 gallons. So the only issue I would think of would be flow maybe from the return? I’m new to this but I would think that would affect it somehow but don’t quote me on it?
The 425 sump was24 gallons…he ended up trading sumps as well! Ty for the input

Back