Red Sea energy plus - my review -

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as I was excited like some of you I ordered the new Red Sea energy plus. I have been dosing acropower for a couple of month in full recommended dose daily.

with the understand that the Red Sea energy plus is mixed vitamins and amino and the acropower is an amino as well, so I dosed it little less than 50/50.

Oh boy, I didn’t see anything good except way more algae film on the front panel. Plus, it scared the crap out of the fish, they still do!

I guess I will cut back 1/4 or one day acropower and the next energy plus? Dang I bought the big bottle lol

Anyone got some positive experience on this?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used reef energy for years around once a week in my S650 because nutrients levels were higher, rather than every day.

I’ve been using the new plus version for a month or so on its own, and sometimes mixed with Reef Roids in my S650 and new large system.

Does it make a difference, probably because the new system has lower nutrients and the corals are growing like weeds including SPS. But, I have absolutely no evidence that it’s anything to do with Reef energy

I say this because in my S650 I’ve sometimes gone months between adding any reef energy, just because at 20ppm nitrate I didnt feel it necessary every day/week. Did it make any difference, no.

I have no doubt it works and will continue my weekly use of it, in my new tank, and occasionally in the S650, but it may take a BRS or similar experiment with 2 similar tanks to see the comparison

It is a ‘cool’ colour though! Lol

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used reef energy for years around once a week in my S650 because nutrients levels were higher, rather than every day.

I’ve been using the new plus version for a month or so on its own, and sometimes mixed with Reef Roids in my S650 and new large system.

Does it make a difference, probably because the new system has lower nutrients and the corals are growing like weeds including SPS. But, I have absolutely no evidence that it’s anything to do with Reef energy

I say this because in my S650 I’ve sometimes gone months between adding any reef energy, just because at 20ppm nitrate I didnt feel it necessary every day/week. Did it make any difference, no.

I have no doubt it works and will continue my weekly use of it, in my new tank, and occasionally in the S650, but it may take a BRS or similar experiment with 2 similar tanks to see the comparison

It is a ‘cool’ colour though! Lol

i hear, not going to throw it away since it was $35 lol. Cool color but again scare the crap out of my fishes.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am a downer but in 11 years doing this reef thing I have yet to see a noticeable increase in coral health dosing any "food" other than simple trace elements (that was only because I didn't do water changes). I have never been an "undetected" nutrients guy though so take that for what it's worth.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am a downer but in 11 years doing this reef thing I have yet to see a noticeable increase in coral health dosing any "food" other than simple trace elements (that was only because I didn't do water changes). I have never been an "undetected" nutrients guy though so take that for what it's worth.
Hey whatever works for you, great. But for some to including me, sometimes things are not going well but you seems to do everything right, you just have that itch to add somethjng. Just like some take vitamins, do we grow wings from taking them, nope but we still do.

Last edited:

unklez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My euphyllia torches got huge and plump after adding energy plus. Do you dose Nopox or something similar? That might sort your algae issue out.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My euphyllia torches got huge and plump after adding energy plus. Do you dose Nopox or something similar? That might sort your algae issue out.
Nope. I feel acropower is better but still dosing both by taking turns daily. Energy plus half dose

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing AB+ once every three days and have noticed greater polyp extension on my SPS. The one purple coral whose name I don't know has gotten the nickname of "Purple Fuzzy" due to the MASSIVE polyp extension from dosing AB+

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this somewhere else but I have had a great exp. with AB+ so far. I dose 10 a day with no adverse effects. I have been using this one Mille as a test coral and have been taking Picts to watch changes here it is feb1 shortly before dosing and here it is today

9687E1A0-7550-4D5A-94A2-C467DCA2DD5F.png 18EE82E8-086D-4736-BBF6-88EFF55BCC4E.png

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using RedSea+ for about a month now dosing daily at 50%. I cant say whether my corals are doing better with or without as I started using this at the same time I bought a bunch of frags. But the frags look good and the zoas are already showing new heads.

But I just see this as an easy way to make sure there is a consistent level of nutrition for my corals.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as I was excited like some of you I ordered the new Red Sea energy plus. I have been dosing acropower for a couple of month in full recommended dose daily.

with the understand that the Red Sea energy plus is mixed vitamins and amino and the acropower is an amino as well, so I dosed it little less than 50/50.

Oh boy, I didn’t see anything good except way more algae film on the front panel. Plus, it scared the crap out of the fish, they still do!

I guess I will cut back 1/4 or one day acropower and the next energy plus? Dang I bought the big bottle lol

I think to do a review on a product you should probably follow the instructions for a decent amount of time.. I wouldn’t expect it to work if not used how it was designed/intended to be used. Not trying to be negative just constructive criticism. At least you were honest about how you utilised it which I respect.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think to do a review on a product you should probably follow the instructions for a decent amount of time.. I wouldn’t expect it to work if not used how it was designed/intended to be used. Not trying to be negative just constructive criticism. At least you were honest about how you utilised it which I respect.
How was I not following the instructions? I was dosing less than recommended due to the side effects I stated. So you think dosing the full dosage will reduced the bubble or hair alage?

matter of fact, I am dosing the recommended dosage now. It’s been about 7 months already, I can’t say 100% if my corals got any significant improvements but still got bubble and hair algae. Yes these started appearing after I used the product.

erdrick80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been dosing for couple of months and I believe it's definitely working. Right after I dose I see the difference the next day, my blastos, birdsnest,duncan,and candy canes just seem more fluffy/bigger and just healthy looking. I dose 3times a week because I have noticed my nitrates are usually already high 10.0ppm so afraid it will get higher if I dose every day.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was I not following the instructions? I was dosing less than recommended due to the side effects I stated. So you think dosing the full dosage will reduced the bubble or hair alage?

matter of fact, I am dosing the recommended dosage now. It’s been about 7 months already, I can’t say 100% if my corals got any significant improvements but still got bubble and hair algae. Yes these started appearing after I used the product.
Mate I wasn’t having a go at you. You stated that you weren’t dosing the full amount and you were also dosing along side another product. That’s not the instructions on the bottle. If this product is enough to cause algae problems then it’s your filtration that’s not up to scratch.

Again I’m not having a dig at you I’m just trying to find a review on this product that’s representative of exactly how it was intended to be used.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why did it scare the hell outta the fish? After I started using the reef energy plus I quickly noticed that algae started growing quickly, so I lowered the dose and dose it only twice a week and now I have it dialed in, moderation is the key. By the way its works great in my mixed reef. Still wondering what kinda fish are scared of it, never heard that, my fish all think I'm feeding them.
20210102_125001.jpg

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did it scare the hell outta the fish? After I started using the reef energy plus I quickly noticed that algae started growing quickly, so I lowered the dose and dose it only twice a week and now I have it dialed in, moderation is the key. By the way its works great in my mixed reef. Still wondering what kinda fish are scared of it, never heard that, my fish all think I'm feeding them.
20210102_125001.jpg
Your fish are beasts and probably not scared of anything lol.

Do you mind saying what exactly has improved after use?

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Funny you say that it scares your fish. My buddy had a rather expensive fish jump right after he doses this stuff one night.

Me: All film algae stopped growing (not necessarily a good thing), and my SPS stopped polyping. They still largely don't polyp months after I stopped dosing it.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish are beasts and probably not scared of anything lol.

Do you mind saying what exactly has improved after use?
Just to give a little simple history on this current tank. I set it up 5 years ago last week and its a very populated reef full of all different kinds of corals and fish and all the different livestock is healthy, growing and colorful. I stopped doing water changes over 4 years ago. I manually dose everything so with that said in my eyes the corals grow and have great color and since I only add reef energy plus along with Red Sea ABCD colors it must be having a positive effect. Thats all I'm basing my succes with it on. Forgot if I posted a pick bit heres a few recent ones.
20210102_125001.jpg
20201205_225324.jpg
20201205_225324.jpg
20201205_225512.jpg
20201201_173755.jpg

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The day I dose, my SPS have more polyp extension; the day after I dose, my LPS are super fluffy. I'm continuing to dose the recommended amount because my tank runs ULNS naturally anyways, so I need all the nutrient help I can get.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back