Red Sea MG test - cannot replicate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a dozen times to replicate the mg test. Both for tank water and newly mixed saltwater. I am all over the board.

I'd like to understand if I need to dose mg. But test results are so random, I wouldn't know where to start.

I follow the instructions to a T. Thoughts or tips?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've tried a dozen times to replicate the mg test. Both for tank water and newly mixed saltwater. I am all over the board.

I'd like to understand if I need to dose mg. But test results are so random, I wouldn't know where to start.

I follow the instructions to a T. Thoughts or tips?
What numbers are you getting? Is it a huge range?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using a tuberculin syringe (1cc) to draw the test sample. 2ml is not very accurate in that 10cc syringe they provide, add an air bubble to that and who knows if your testing 2.0ml or 1.9ml. Doesn't sound like much but its a 5% difference in the sample size.

Also just to be sure, you are adding the first 5 reagent drops one at a time and mixing between each drop? Many people miss that

OP
OP
D

Dank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. One at a time. I'll try using the 1 ml syringe for test sample.

Ouscazz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mg can be a bit tricky to test, it's so easy to get it wrong.

I do it like this:
  1. Rinse the glass container with RODI water.
  2. Rinse the glass container with tank water.
  3. Let the glass container dry completely. One single drop of tank water left in the container will ruin the test.
  4. Rinse reagent fluid syringe with RODI water, blow and let it dry completely.
  5. Add exactly 2 ml of tank water with a 1ml syringe to the glass container.
  6. Slowly add about 70% of the expected amount of reagent fluid with the syringe.
  7. Then start to add reagent drop wise stirring the test sample at least 2 seconds between drops.
  8. Stop adding reagent fluid at the initial change from purple to a clear blue end color. The blue will only stay stable for a couple of seconds so pay close attention.
  9. Read the used amount on the syringe and compare with the chart.
Remember, Mg tests generally have a resolution of +/- ~30ppm. Never react and take action after a single reading, look for trends over a week or two, or more.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do it like this:
  3. Let the glass container dry completely. One single drop of tank water left in the container will ruin the test.
  6. Slowly add about 70% of the expected amount of reagent fluid with the syringe.
  7. Then start to add reagent drop wise stirring the test sample at least 2 seconds between drops.
  8. Stop adding reagent fluid at the initial change from purple to a clear blue end color. The blue will only stay stable for a couple of seconds so pay close attention.
Remember, Mg tests generally have a resolution of +/- ~30ppm. Never react and take action after a single reading, look for trends over a week or two, or more.

+1

The Mg test is very sensitive so don't react to any 'odd' readings until they are checked. I know from experience!

OP
OP
D

Dank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do it like this:

Very helpful. Will give another go. Thanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back