Red Sea? Water box? Direct buy? LFS? ‍♂️

DerekPino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! My name is Derek but my friends call me D. So please feel free.
I’ve had a 32 bio cube for over 7 years now. I’ve done very well with it and for the most part I love it. I’ve learned, often times, the hard way what will and what will not thrive under the hood of a BC and it’s limited lighting. 7 years of diligent water changes. 7 years of giving my Kenya tree…well, let’s just call it grooming on a regular basis. And everyone I know in the hobby has some frags from my Kenya trees. It’s been wonderful but alas, I’m pretty much done. Can’t really add anything, there’s really no room and that’s one of the joys of the hobby.
so I’m looking at a new tank.
I think the Red Sea 250 would be just the right size for my apartment and everyone I talk to tells me to do my own lighting.
ok, great. I’m going to buy a new Red Sea!
Ewwwww… lol look at the water boxes that have mysteriously appeared in my Facebook feed? It’s like they knew I was thinking about purchasing a new thank…Hmmmmm
Talked to my LFS. Oh yeah get the Red Sea, we know nothing about the Water Box! Looked on line. Lots of opinions. Lots of prices. There’s only about an $800 dollar difference between buying on line, direct and going they my LFS! If it were a few bucks surrrrrre! I’d buy at my local fish store but $800? That’s a lot of live rock, a good chunk of the new lights or at least some really cool new corals and or fish. So, any opinions on RS? WB? Where to purchase and what light packages you’d buy?
TIA,
D!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome D,

I don't have a preference between RS or WB but either one would be a nice upreade. I am sure you will get lots of opinions shared here.
black ish appearance GIF

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are comparable. Get the one that fits the dimension you want. Buy online to save money. It will be drop shipped to your house regardless.

IMO though, I will get red sea just because they are a bigger company with better long term support. And red sea also makes a lot of equipments now if you want to stay with red sea for everything

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R D! Bothe Red Sea and Waterbox are good, quality tanks. You could be happy with either one. Red Sea has a more complete line of accessories but I actually prefer the look and finish of the Waterbox tanks, a little and I think that, for the sump models, the plumbing for the Waterbox is a little better. I bought my Waterbox direct, no hassles. I have no experience with buying Red Sea direct but I'm sure it is comparable. Waterbox built their business model around direct sales, in fact they now have their own truck doing deliveries in the southeast USA. Just pick the model you like and buy direct. They are both great tanks that will not disappoint.

One thing to consider. With a direct buy the tank is usually delivered to your door. The LFS may include inside delivery and initial setup. On a small tank it doesn't matter but on a bigger tank it can.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back