Reef Aquarium Fact #301 Buying a Blue Ringed Octopus could mean death to you or someone else.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An old boss of mine had one. It escaped from the tank and the dog found it. The Dog didn't survive.

Merlin3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was in high school I worked at a small pet shop. The guy that did the marine livestock orders for our location (and now happens to be my husband) ordered one in not knowing the danger it posed. We were 16 or 17 at the time and for whatever reason corporate did not catch it before it was already in the store. We both held it and played with if for the evening while acclimating the other fish from the shipment. Someone finally realized the error from the warehouse and immediately called the store and came and picked it up. It was an amazing creature and we were very lucky that we were not hurt or worse.

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua SD got one in for a customer that was looking for one for years. I guess they are hard to come by and with good reason... Lol... It was really an amazing specimen... It was cool how it bright the blue rings would get

bloopergrooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh, this is all fact. We had a customer years ago with one who went on vacation and wanted someone to watch their tank. He said "if you go into the room and don't see the octopus in the tank, just black out and close the door". Now I'm in love with all things octopus and plan to set up a tank this year, but with my cat's habit of finding her way into my tank (especially when feeding) and my perpetual clumsiness, I'd say the blue ring won't make my list of potential species

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #301

Buying a Blue Ringed Octopus could mean death to you or someone else.

Blue-ringed octopuses, such as H. maculosa and H. lunulata, display their blue rings as a warning when threatened. They are not aggressive and tend to avoid confrontation by flattening their body and blending into their surroundings. Humans have only been injured when a blue-ringed octopus is provoked or stepped on.

When the threat is unavoidable, blue-ringed octopuses eject a neuromuscular venom that contains maculotoxin and tetrodotoxin which cause paralysis. This poison is fatal and more potent than any poison found in land animals. Human victims can be saved if artificial respiration begins quickly; however there is no known antidote and the only treatment is ongoing heart massage and artificial respiration until the poison dissipates (usually in 24 hours with no ill-effects).

Symptoms include: nausea, vision loss and blindness, loss of senses, loss of motor skills, respiratory arrest.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

blue-ringed-octopus-venom_zps5f6b50a2.jpg
These dudes are pretty (and deadly).

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back