Reef Casa Flat 6 Build

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to see any tank photos you have lit with the Luxdium upgrade. How do you program spectrum? Is it the same AI app, or do you use a Luxdium app? Which upgrade do you prefer? Gold or Cyan?

I was in the Luxdium beta test, so I've been running them on 2 tanks for 3+ years now. Several of the featured photos on their website are my tanks, and any tank pics I've posted here (build threads or otherwise) are all Luxdium lights.

You control the lights with the myAI app, just like normal, it's just that a few of the channels control other colors. There are no red or green LEDs in the Lux pucks, so those sliders control other shades of blue. The original blue channel is now the white channel, and the original white channel is blues, etc. He explains it all very well in the documentation, and there are a ton of preset schedules for Lux pucks in the user group on Facebook (I made and uploaded several of them).

As for my preference... That's a tough one. When I got in on the beta, there was only one option, now known as "Gold". It has a SPECTACULAR color rendering white channel, so if you like a whiter tank and like your fish to look bright and colorful, then the "Gold" wins hands-down. But, I found myself still turning down the white channel, so I recently tried a "Cyan" puck to see how I liked it (upgraded one Prime HD). After running it for a month or two, I decided all the 26HDs for the new tank were going to be "Cyan" as well. For me, it is a brighter, crisper blue color than the purpley-blue you get with a lot of lights. Colors are great and, since I don't have to turn the whites down as much (fewer of them), I get to use more of the full power output of the light.

Anyway... I hate to clutter up someone else's build thread. If you have more questions, just shoot me a PM. :)

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates today! Finally filled the tank and added some Microbacter quick cycle ammonia and Start XLM. Going to test for ammonia later today to see where the levels are at:

IMG_8008.jpeg
IMG_8009.jpeg

Installed the inkbird as well to have some sort of fail safe on this tank. This setup was a breeze, and you get push notifications to your phone if something goes wrong as well:
IMG_8007.jpeg

The stock return pump is extremely noisy, or maybe I just received a defective one. I'm going to swap that out today with a SICCE .5 pump. I also ordered the random flow gen nozzles to stop the sand from being blow around:
IMG_8004.JPEG

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update:

After 24 drops of Brightwell quick cycle, I still have no readings of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. Going to add another 24 and retest.

Replaced my return pump with a sicce micra plus return and it’s SO much quieter on my desk. Flow seems almost identical as well.

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling update:

Ammonia - .5
Nitrite 1.0

Seems like the cycle is under way! Will leave it for a few more days.

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still debating on which one to get... I'm leaning towards the flat 9.. I wish they made like a taller one like 3 inch taller :). Looking good!!

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle seems to be about half way complete!

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 4ppm

I’ve gone head and printed some RFG nozzles to have a better flow pattern in the tank. Printed two that are slightly different sizes to confirm fit. So far they have made a massive difference!

IMG_8127.jpeg

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling still underway with the current numbers:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 4ppm

IMG_8163.jpeg

Nitrate - 50.5

I think I’m going to definitely want a large water change to get those nitrate numbers down to around 15-20ppm.

IMG_8164.jpeg

The 3d printed nozzle was a huge success, no longer blasting the sand and creating a nice random pattern.

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update:

Nitrite reduction seems to have stalled, and is still showing well over 4ppm. I'm going to do a 50% water change with my display tank water and see if that jumpstarts the cycle again.

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle is finally done! I think the small water change, addition of some small pieces of live rock, and doing a water change with my display water really kicked things into gear. Got a few snails for a CUC to test the waters.

So far so good!

Attachments

• E6DFC433-FF27-410B-8B8D-FCAF27BD6673.jpeg
    E6DFC433-FF27-410B-8B8D-FCAF27BD6673.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 47

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o thinking of grabbing a Jolly heater instead, as space is so limited in terms of depth... Thanks for the Jebao suggestion, I was thinking the return pump may not be enough and more flow is generally always good.
I would suggest the Jabeo pump. I have it on my flat 9. I currently have it all the way up do not seem to have flow problems. but then again I am still cycling it.

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest the Jabeo pump. I have it on my flat 9. I currently have it all the way up do not seem to have flow problems. but then again I am still cycling it.
Since using a random flow nozzle and the sicce micra plus, flow seems pretty decent in the tank.

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks been running with a Filefish that I had in my sump since Saturday to confirm the cycle is holding with daily feedings. I took the plunge and bought my two Storm clownfish today, a Bubble Magus Mini Q skimmer, and two rose bubble tips! Definetly starting to get the "ugly stage" now, but that should pass in a week or two.

Top down:
400190286_1003877854006367_922671092059282930_n.jpg

Bubble Magus Skimmer, this thing is DEAD silent and is already producing some nice foam!

399871403_351884610758457_865296573438001831_n.jpg

The Storm Clowns, I'll try and snag a better picture yet...

400128163_712675577146824_1522446198161313873_n.jpg

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im happy there is a skimmer that fits back there! My only concern is the limitations of the water height inside the skimmer? Also what are feeding to keep up the nutrients in the tank? Keep us updated! I haven't seen many others with the reefcasa flats..

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im happy there is a skimmer that fits back there! My only concern is the limitations of the water height inside the skimmer? Also what are feeding to keep up the nutrients in the tank? Keep us updated! I haven't seen many others with the reefcasa flats..
Right now I’m just feeding some mysis and phyto to the tank, along with Microbacter7.

Update:

Seems to keep nutrients up slightly and the “ugly phase” seems to have already passed!

CD7202CE-2953-4CC2-9683-3F94C07EC81A.jpeg

This skimmer is a beast! Even for such a new tank, it’s doing a great job wet skimming.

54E0AC8E-B0E7-4CAD-9A16-B76CA3FFC8D2.jpeg

The rose bubble tips I picked up seemed to have settled and the AI Prime is doing a great job lighting it up.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I’m just feeding some mysis and phyto to the tank, along with Microbacter7.

Update:

Seems to keep nutrients up slightly and the “ugly phase” seems to have already passed!

CD7202CE-2953-4CC2-9683-3F94C07EC81A.jpeg

This skimmer is a beast! Even for such a new tank, it’s doing a great job wet skimming.

54E0AC8E-B0E7-4CAD-9A16-B76CA3FFC8D2.jpeg

The rose bubble tips I picked up seemed to have settled and the AI Prime is doing a great job lighting it up.
That BTA looks great!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back