Reef Casa Flat 6 Build

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

Just started up a new pico build with the Reef Casa Flat 6 that was designed up in Canada by Fragbox! The ultra shallow lagoon style should make for a nice unique desktop tank.

Equipment List:
Tank - Flat 6 from www.reefcasa.com
Lighting - AI Prime HD16
Return - Reef Casa Pump 200gph
Wavemaker - Not sure yet?
Heater - Reef Casa 50w Heater W/ Inkbird Controller
ATO - Tunze 3155

IMG_7981.JPEG
IMG_7982.JPEG

Still debating on what exactly I'm going to do with this tank. I was leaning more towards the idea of a rock island in the middle slightly peaking out of the water, with nems and clowns. Zoas would then be on the sandbed for my grow outs/fragging. Thoughts?

I'll keep updating this build thread regularly as I receive more hardware and livestock.

Last edited:

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool setup, been thinking about one as a classroom tank. The idea of having rock stick out is nice, although I’ve never been a huge fan of BTAs as they can wander and be destructive. Maybe rock flowers? Think about corals that look good from top down.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in getting one of these for my office. Interesting aquascape idea, I like it! Looking forward to how this turns out for you.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of the tank itself? Does 7” depth feel like enough? Depth of AIO compartment?

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of the tank itself? Does 7” depth feel like enough? Depth of AIO compartment?
I think the 7" depth is what makes the tank feel very unique! I have a buddy who is running one, and the top down super shallow look is something you cant capture in many other nano tanks. The AIO still has room to hold a 50w heater, a tunze skimmer if you'd like, and the media basket upgrade. Here's the link of all the features you can add to the tank:

I also have some updates today. Picked up some dry marco rock to create a scape that I'm still not 100% sure about. I also grabbed 7lbs of caribsea livesand that will go in once I'm ready to fill. This won't create that deep of a sandbed, but enough for aesthetics.

The current scape design has a large tunnel going through the left and right side, and a channel on the left. The sand should raise this very close to the waterline as well. Let me know what you think:

IMG_7998.JPEG
IMG_7997.JPEG

IMG_7996.JPEG

My 3d printed AI prime shroud also just finished this morning, as the light bleed was WAY to much for my desk. Cant wait to see how much it impacts the area:

2023-10-25 08_21_18-iCloud Photos.png

I should have the rest of my supplies later this week, which will include an Eheim Jager 50w heater and my Microbacter quick cycle/start XLM to get this cycle going.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed this but how many gallons is this tank? I really like the idea mentioned above about rock flower anemones. Can’t wait to see what you decide.

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed this but how many gallons is this tank? I really like the idea mentioned above about rock flower anemones. Can’t wait to see what you decide.
This is a 6 gallon tank. Yeah the rock flower nems seem like a great idea as well! Just not sure what other livestock I would add as I had initially thought BTA's with clowns.

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 7" depth is what makes the tank feel very unique! I have a buddy who is running one, and the top down super shallow look is something you cant capture in many other nano tanks. The AIO still has room to hold a 50w heater, a tunze skimmer if you'd like, and the media basket upgrade. Here's the link of all the features you can add to the tank:

I also have some updates today. Picked up some dry marco rock to create a scape that I'm still not 100% sure about. I also grabbed 7lbs of caribsea livesand that will go in once I'm ready to fill. This won't create that deep of a sandbed, but enough for aesthetics.

The current scape design has a large tunnel going through the left and right side, and a channel on the left. The sand should raise this very close to the waterline as well. Let me know what you think:

IMG_7998.JPEG
IMG_7997.JPEG

IMG_7996.JPEG

My 3d printed AI prime shroud also just finished this morning, as the light bleed was WAY to much for my desk. Cant wait to see how much it impacts the area:

2023-10-25 08_21_18-iCloud Photos.png

I should have the rest of my supplies later this week, which will include an Eheim Jager 50w heater and my Microbacter quick cycle/start XLM to get this cycle going.
Wow that scape is awesome!!!

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the rockwork, following along

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the build process of a Flat 6 myself. I'm putting it in my home office as well (along with my Nuvo 10 SPS tank), since I work in here 4 days a week. My build is going to be called "Disco Inferno", and it is going to be a tiny shroom lagoon with only Jawbreaker variants (Discosoma) in it. It'll have a sand/crushed coral substrate and an appropriate clean-up crew. Maybe one small fish.

I'm going to try one of those new SICCE pico preset heaters, lighting will be an AI Prime HD with upgraded LED puck by @luxdium, for the lower flow mushrooms, the return pump should be plenty and I'll be doing water changes with the "dirty" water from one of my bigger tanks. It should be a fun one for sure!

Following along with your build as well, as I really, really like these little tanks. :D

If you need extra flow, the Jebao ELW-3m is perfect for this size tank. I have a couple of them running here. Nice, programmable pumps that are tiny and can dial WAY down on the flow side.

Also: As an avid AI Prime user myself (7 of them around here), that light will give nice, even coverage over the 16" length of the tank, with a lot less spill over if you have it mounted about 9" above the surface of the water.

Last edited:

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you upgrading the puck on a new prime?

I assume you mean me? No. The 16HD isn't upgradeable. I've sold off all my 16HDs and replaced them all with Prime HDs, just so I can upgrade the pucks. I've done 6 now with the "Gold" version of the Luxdium puck, and one with the "Cyan" version. I've also upgraded 4 Hydra 26HDs now, all with "Cyan" pucks.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you mean me? No. The 16HD isn't upgradeable. I've sold off all my 16HDs and replaced them all with Prime HDs, just so I can upgrade the pucks. I've done 6 now with the "Gold" version of the Luxdium puck, and one with the "Cyan" version. I've also upgraded 4 Hydra 26HDs now, all with "Cyan" pucks.
Would like to see any tank photos you have lit with the Luxdium upgrade. How do you program spectrum? Is it the same AI app, or do you use a Luxdium app? Which upgrade do you prefer? Gold or Cyan?

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the build process of a Flat 6 myself. I'm putting it in my home office as well (along with my Nuvo 10 SPS tank), since I work in here 4 days a week. My build is going to be called "Disco Inferno", and it is going to be a tiny shroom lagoon with only Jawbreaker variants (Discosoma) in it. It'll have a sand/crushed coral substrate and an appropriate clean-up crew. Maybe one small fish.

I'm going to try one of those new SICCE pico preset heaters, lighting will be an AI Prime HD with upgraded LED puck by @luxdium, for the lower flow mushrooms, the return pump should be plenty and I'll be doing water changes with the "dirty" water from one of my bigger tanks. It should be a fun one for sure!

Following along with your build as well, as I really, really like these little tanks. :D

If you need extra flow, the Jebao ELW-3m is perfect for this size tank. I have a couple of them running here. Nice, programmable pumps that are tiny and can dial WAY down on the flow side.

Also: As an avid AI Prime user myself (7 of them around here), that light will give nice, even coverage over the 16" length of the tank, with a lot less spill over if you have it mounted about 9" above the surface of the water.
I was also thinking of grabbing a Jolly heater instead, as space is so limited in terms of depth... Thanks for the Jebao suggestion, I was thinking the return pump may not be enough and more flow is generally always good.

It's really too bad that the 16HD does not support the @luxdium upgrade... I'd love to try it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back