SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef2Reef family! I’m super excited to share my newest build, the IM NUVO Fusion Pro 40L AIO. This will be the fourth IM tank I have owned, and it has already become my favorite! I am thrilled with the shallow lagoon dimensions, the size of the sump compartment, and that I can access everything without sinking my whole arm into the tank.

This will be an SPS only build, upgrading from my current SPS focused IM NUVO Fusion 15 tank. I have two of the Fusion 15 AIOs, one dedicated to LPS corals, the other will become an SPS quarantine or frag grow out tank.

I’ve been cycling CaribSea life rock in a separate bin over the past 6 weeks with Dr Tim’s ammonium chloride and MB7. I have a TBS Pico Package being delivered to further seed the biome, which includes both rock and sand (sand will get repurposed into my Fusion 15s). Once I see stability in this build, I will swap most of the live rock and corals from my Fusion 15 to the 40L.

I haven’t decided on a skimmer yet. I own both an IceCap K1 Nano and Tunze Comline DOC 9001 DC skimmers. I believe the IceCap provides more flexibility as I can place it in a secondary chamber. The Tunze will fit in the pump return chamber, which I prefer to leave open for easier access.

The majority of the equipment for this build is coming from my prior 81g Fiji Cube build. The lighting, heater, controllers, flow, etc were all items I owned. I did purchase the Maxspect Gyres for this build and am interested in how these will pair with the SOW-8s to make random flow within the tank.

I will continue to use Tropic Marin A- & K+ elements, NP-Bacto Balance, and dose trisodium phosphate, calcium nitrate, or ammonium bicarbonate depending on the P04 & N03 needs. I have been following the ammonium bicarbonate thread and dosing to my 15g for the past two months to maintain N03. This will be a bacteria driven tank, like my 15g, following SunnyX’s example.

I’m looking forward to sharing this build with the community. Thanks everyone for stopping by and following along!

Display Tank
Innovative Marine NUVO Fusion Pro 40L AIO
35.4”×19.7”×13”

Stand
Husky standard duty 46” 9 drawer workbench cabinet

Water Movement
MightyJet 538 GPH DC Return Pump x2
Maxspect Jump 2K Gyre Flow Pump x2
Jebao SOW-8 Wavemaker x2

Lighting
ReefBreeders Photon 32-V2 Plus
ReefBreeders BOT V2 Mount
Apogee MQ-510 PAR Meter

Skimmer
TBD

Control
Neptune Apex A2 controller w/ EB832
Neptune DOS
Neptune ATK ATO (FMM & sensors)
Inkbird heater controller
Finnex 300w titanium heater

Dosing
Tropic Marin A- Elements
Tropic Marin K+ Elements
Kalkwasser
Trisodium Phosphate
Calcium Nitrate (depends on N03 needs)
Ammonium Bicarbonate (depends on N03 needs)
Tropic Marin NP-Bacto Balance

Substrate
None

Filtration and salt
InTank Floss Holder x2
Poly-fil floss
Fritz RPM Blue Salt

Dosing & maintenance schedule

Daily

• Will update as build matures
Weekly
  • Will update as build matures

Photos:

Fresh out of the box and getting settled
IMG_1293.jpeg

Leak test - tank filled slowly with RODI to confirm
IMG_1295.jpeg

No leaks! Time to fill with freshly mixed saltwater and get return pumps and heater online :)
IMG_1297.jpeg

Cycled CaribSea Life Rock moved over from curing bin. Will scape the tank once the TBS Pico Package arrives!
IMG_1299.jpeg

First top down view!
IMG_1300.jpeg

OP
OP
SliceGolfer

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my existing light mounted up with the new BOT mount. A simple and effective mount, much better than the rails included with the light originally. I did run into a problem with one of the tank bracket, as the weld was inside the mount position for the upright. A simple fix with a square rasp file.

Lights are tested and programmed. I’ll dial them in once I scape the tank. I’m shooting for 250 PAR at the top of the scape to match the current PAR of the Fusion 15. Wires and such will be cleaned up this weekend.

I received notice my TBS Pico Package will be here tomorrow. New photos will follow.

IMG_1303.jpeg

IMG_1304.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my existing light mounted up with the new BOT mount. A simple and effective mount, much better than the rails included with the light originally. I did run into a problem with one of the tank bracket, as the weld was inside the mount position for the upright. A simple fix with a square rasp file.

Lights are tested and programmed. I’ll dial them in once I scape the tank. I’m shooting for 250 PAR at the top of the scape to match the current PAR of the Fusion 15. Wires and such will be cleaned up this weekend.

I received notice my TBS Pico Package will be here tomorrow. New photos will follow.

IMG_1303.jpeg

IMG_1304.jpeg
Looks much more sleek than the stock mounts!

OP
OP
SliceGolfer

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, an update without pics is boring. HOWEVER...

I received my Pico Package from @LiverockRocks and I am very happy with the delivery. The base rock had coralline coverage, nice pink and deep red coloration. The premium rock has tube worms, some macro algae, a cucumber here or there, a limpet, and a few other small crustaceans. The blue leg hermits and Astrea snails were divided into my three tanks, and the three pounds of sand was placed into a bin and sunk to the bottom of the 40L tank. No mess, no fuss. And the freebie Porcelain Crab was a nice bonus! If you're on the fence if you should purchase a Treasure Chest, go for it! I might purchase another in the future.

I'm basting the rock a couple times here and there to get any detritus or other bacterial goodness into the water column so it can seed the CaribSea rock. No lights on yet, want to give the tank time to settle in.

New update and pictures coming soon. Need to scape the tank, clean up wires, install the two new Maxspect Jump 2K Gyres, and then take PAR mappings. Thanks for following!

OP
OP
SliceGolfer

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! Wires cleaned up, initial aquascape done, Maxspect Jump 2K Gyres installed, ReefBreeders Photon v2+ programmed and dialed in with the Apogee MQ-510. The fixture is 14" from the water surface and I'm getting 300 PAR at the top of the scape, 230 on the bottom. Perfect! Now to let this tank settle in for another week, and then add a couple fish and snails.

I added my Duetto ATO for now until I make the big swap and move my Apex equipment over to this tank. A simple 5g bucket for the reservoir. I found that a John Guest 5/16" to 1/4" push connect reducer fits the Duetto pump outlet perfectly, so I was able to run 1/4" RODI tubing up to the tank. I prefer the RODI tubing over any other because it is so configurable to your need.

IMG_1312.jpeg

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be awesome! What are your thoughts on a skimmer for this tank? I've currently got an NF-1 skimmer that the previous owner used, I might look into something else down the road.

OP
OP
SliceGolfer

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be awesome! What are your thoughts on a skimmer for this tank? I've currently got an NF-1 skimmer that the previous owner used, I might look into something else down the road.
I decided on an AquaMaxx HOB 1.5 - going to pick this up in the coming days when BRS has their doorbuster on AquaMaxx.

I have some new fish additions that went into the tank today. Three schooling Bangaii Cardinals and a Royal Gramma join my pair of Storm Clownfish. Everyone is settling in with the Clowns, pictures to follow tomorrow when they're all a bit more comfortable.

Also added a Tuxedo Urchin, two Money Cowries, two Astrea Snails, thirty Dwarf Cerith snails, and twelve Banded Trochus snails that I pulled from my 15g thanks to my breeding pair of Trochus. Thanks to John at @reefcleaners for the Cowries, Astrea, and Ceriths :)

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! Wires cleaned up, initial aquascape done, Maxspect Jump 2K Gyres installed, ReefBreeders Photon v2+ programmed and dialed in with the Apogee MQ-510. The fixture is 14" from the water surface and I'm getting 300 PAR at the top of the scape, 230 on the bottom. Perfect! Now to let this tank settle in for another week, and then add a couple fish and snails.

I added my Duetto ATO for now until I make the big swap and move my Apex equipment over to this tank. A simple 5g bucket for the reservoir. I found that a John Guest 5/16" to 1/4" push connect reducer fits the Duetto pump outlet perfectly, so I was able to run 1/4" RODI tubing up to the tank. I prefer the RODI tubing over any other because it is so configurable to your need.

IMG_1312.jpeg
Aquascape looks great!

OP
OP
SliceGolfer

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Performed baseline testing and added the first SPS coral to the tank. Pics to follow once the lights come on in full spectrum ;)

OP
OP
SliceGolfer

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! Pulled out the Sony A6400 DSLR with Sigma 105mm Macro lens, with an 85b orange filter. Taking pictures of coral is 100 times easier than chasing these Storm Clowns around the tank! Shout out to @Projects with Sam for the freebie ParlAquatics frag holder from my last Noopsyche shade order. Thanks!

Let's start with the Birdsnest frag added this morning. I've been growing this one out for about two months in my 15g. The first of many additions!
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 3.25.16 PM.png

Royal Gramma came out of his hidey hole long enough to get a photo!
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 3.26.24 PM.png

And then there's the Trio of Bangaii Cardinals. These three were already schooling together for a couple weeks at the LFS so thought they would be a great addition!
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 3.28.27 PM.png

And last, the Storm Clowns. These guys... So hard to catch a photo! Had to bribe them with food so they would stay still long enough.
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 3.31.11 PM.png

Bonus sneak peek: Here's my Beach Bum Monti that will make it's way into this tank in the future!
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 3.32.48 PM.png

OP
OP
SliceGolfer

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hump Day Update!

The tank is coming along nicely. I’ve added an AquaMaxx HOB 1.5 skimmer and am pacing through the break in period. Still getting micro bubbles but the skimmer is starting to quiet down.

I also added some SPS corals from my other tank to start consuming nutrients and add to the bioload. So far I have a Green Birdsnest, Greenish Blue Stylo, Bubble Gum Digitata, Montipora Palawensis, Montipora Setosa, and Acropora Abrolhensis.

Algae is kicking in full, clean up crew hard at work!

Pics to follow soon!

OP
OP
SliceGolfer

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would post an update on how the tank is doing. It's hit the one month old mark, and I'm seeing both good and, unpleasant. I won't say bad because algae and the ugly phase is normal with a new tank. Some observations at this point include:

1. Cycling the dry rock in a container was a good plan. It made adding the TBS Pico Package super easy. And I was able to add fish quicker as well.
2. Adding the TBS Saltwater Pico Package also was solid execution. The tank has been more stable, the parameters don't fluctuate up or down as much (unlike a typical dry rock build). I think some of this stability is due to the three pounds of live sand from the Pico Package being contained in a plastic bin and sitting off to the side in the display. I've seen some micro fauna like brittle stars popping their legs out to catch food.
3. At one month, I already have coralline algae growing on the TBS rock, on the return pump outlets and on the Gyres. I can tell it is starting on the tank bottom as well. You know, that greenish covering that doesn't blow off with a baster, nor does it scrape off easily with a melamine sponge.
4. Adding hardy SPS corals earlier has added some diversity from my other tank. I'm seeing pods and coralline algae sooner, which likely came from both the TBS rock and my 6 frags. Every coral has exhibited growth and polyp extension. They love the cross flow of the Gyres.
5. Equipment wise, the Maxspect Gyres are set and forget, the BOT mount for my @Reef Breeders Photon v2+ was a clean choice, and the Photon is doing what it does best, grow coral and coralline algae. I did up the intensity of the spectrum to get 350-400 PAR at the tops of the rock.
6. The AquaMaxx HOB 1.5 is settling in nicely. I found I needed to adjust the output to quiet down the skimmer, and the only noise at this point is the air intake. I purchased some silicone tubing and may run that behind the tank to see if it quiets down. pH has not been an issue at this point.
7. I'm already dosing Kalkwasser. Not much, only 350ml daily but this is keeping the Alk in check.
8. The algae and ugly phase isn't terrible, just unpleasant. I have browns and some green, a touch of hair, and some dinoflagellates. Nutrients are showing bottomed out, but with the new rock, one month old, coupled with a biome that is trying to find its identity, this is normal. I'm testing, adding a smidge of trisodium phosphate and calcium nitrate as I feel is right, and a little heavier on the frozen food. I think this will all subside in another month. I also did some turkey baster+siphoning hose action to clear the detritus.

Next up is to determine when to clean the back wall of the tank. It's algae and maybe dino covered, could be come coralline algae too. Looks like some 1970's shag carpet. Not fuzzy, but matted.

The six fish are doing great, quick to eat, and have found their own caves and tank space. I'm thinking about 3 or 5 Azure, Talbot, or Rolland's Damsels as future additions. That's long term, a maybe. I'll add more fish when I need to add more bio load.

Coral wise my 15g is loaded up with a bunch of frags just waiting to find their home in this tank. I have some Millies, some Stags, and some unknowns on the rack. In comparison, I dose 510mls of Kalk to the 15 daily, versus 350mls for this tank.

I'm a fan of using my Apex to monitor all three tanks. It's nice to see everything on one dashboard, have the pumps turn off with feed mode, and I like the DOS for dosing at night. I debated on the expense of adding this to all three tanks, but am glad I did. I'm a techie and I like gear so it goes hand in hand.

Thanks for following this long, more updates to come!

Today's N03 & P04. The depletion is real.
IMG_1379.jpeg

Go go Apex gadget!
Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 12.22.04 PM.png

Last edited:

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear about the Aquamaxx skimmer, I think I'll go that route as well. What chamber did you use for it?

I found a thread that shows minimum 3.5 inch clearance from the wall for it... I need less than 1/4 inch :upside-down-face:.

OP
OP
SliceGolfer

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear about the Aquamaxx skimmer, I think I'll go that route as well. What chamber did you use for it?

I found a thread that shows minimum 3.5 inch clearance from the wall for it... I need less than 1/4 inch :upside-down-face:.
I have the skimmer placed in the return pump chamber, center of the tank. I found if I turn the output elbow so it faces the back of the tank, this cuts down on salt creep and micro bubbles. Here are some pics, hope these help!

IMG_1386.jpeg

IMG_1408.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg

OP
OP
SliceGolfer

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year Friends! It's been a minute so time to post some updates.

The tank is coming along nicely. I'm very pleased with how things are going, although not everything has been smooth sailing. But when is it?

I had an outbreak of Dinoflagellates before Christmas. I tried raising nutrients, turkey baster, feed more, feed less, lowering nutrients, changing filter pads. Some days I won, some days I lost. I knew I would be traveling over Christmas so I took that time and performed a 3 day blackout coupled with the IM Midsize UV Sterilizer. I came home to a crystal clear tank, no Dinos, all good news! Very happy how this turned out.

AuqaShield_Midsize_1__76267.jpg

I also made the switch back to Pinkyfilter pads. I use these in the past with great luck, but wanted to try Polyfil as a less expensive solution. It worked OK. I found myself changing the material often, and I wasn't as satisfied as when I used Pinkyfilter. Happy with the switch, and yep, Pinkyfilter still causes protein skimmers to go nuts for about and hour after changing pads. Beware of foamage!

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 1.08.39 PM.png

Last week I noticed all my Trochus snails having a fiesta at the top of the tank. I was like, cool, let me count how many I put in the tank. I had been snagging the little Trochus babies out of my 15g SPS tank and placing in the IM40, because, Trochus. Yep, they breed like crazy if you get the right pair. There were 26 snails collecting at the top of the tank. Nice! Day two, day three, day four, the Trochus are still collected at the top of the tank. That's when I was like, weird, why? And then I saw him.

IMG_1523.jpeg

Throwing some food in the tank, I see some hairy legs coming out from the rock structure. Not the hairy type of legs you want to see, and I'll leave that right there for you to contemplate on your own! Sure enough, Mr Gorilla Crab comes popping out for a snack. As it turns out, the Pico Package from TBS Saltwater must have had a baby Gorilla Crab tucked in the rock somewhere, as I haven't seen him for the two months I've had the rock in the tank. I have not had any mysterious invertebrate deaths, so apparently he's been in a hidden hole grabbing left over mysis. I wasn't sure how I was going to get him out of the tank, and then I read a thread where someone simply went for it and grabbed it with tongs. Could it work? Sure enough, it did. I don't know if the crab was in a post mysis food coma or whatever lethargic state it found itself in, but he came out and I simply grabbed him and pulled him from the tank. Problem solved.

I added a Jebao SOW-8 for added flow. I turned the Maxspect Gyres so they are vertical vs horizontal, placing them in the left and right corners beneath the overflows. I have one part of the gyre facing the back and the other part facing the front, to stir up detritus. I then placed the gyres in random mode at 80% max. Coupled with the SOW-8 that is at full power and in wave mode, I have great random flow and wave action that is stirring up all the detritus. I have been turkey basting the rock and am amazed at how much material is going into the overflow vs settling on the bottom.

IMG_1586.jpeg

I mounted some of the existing SPS frags to the aquascape, and introduced a few more frags from my 15g tank. It's been really hard not wanting to move a large portion of my frags into the IM40. This tank is doing very well, quickly stabilizing and maturing from the real ocean live rock. I noticed I have some new sponge growing on the CaribSea Life Rock, a sign that ocean life is spreading to the once dead base rock.

IMG_1574.jpeg

Alkalinity had been creeping upwards, so I halted kalk dosing for a couple days. This was done to realign daily consumption and dosing, and to lower Alk back to 7.2-7.6dKH. I turned dosing back on yesterday once Alk fell to my preferred range. What an impact to overall pH levels. For those doubting the power of kalk, you need to get on this train. So many benefits with little effort and low cost to your wallet!

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 12.37.25 PM.png

I'll close out with some pictures and wishing Happy New Year to all you Reefers around the world!

IMG_1576.jpeg

IMG_1585.jpeg

IMG_1580.jpeg

Corals waiting to land in this tank:
IMG_1519.jpeg

IMG_1583.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back