Starting up my 15 gallon cube!

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After months of research I finally decided to get my first tank! I decided that I wanted a saltwater tank when I first walked into my local fish store and saw all the coral. I knew I wanted something small that could fit on my desk so I got the Innovative Marine 15 gallon cube tank. I just got in the tank the heater, the lid and the media basket. I ordered the rock and sand to come in next week and I will be getting the reef casa halo light. Exited to get my first tank up and running! If you can leave any tips for me down below please!

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a bad update. I was inspecting it and I saw that there may be a crack in the back chamber. Not 100% sure if it is but here is a picture to see.
IMG_5236.jpeg

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a bad update. I was inspecting it and I saw that there may be a crack in the back chamber. Not 100% sure if it is but here is a picture to see.
IMG_5236.jpeg
I thought it may have been silicone as well so I took a razor blade to it and it was silicone!

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to good start. What kind of kid are using (the glass one). Have you thought about an ATO for a tank that size - has kept mine very stable with it -especially since I’m not good with remembering to top off evaporation

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to good start. What kind of kid are using (the glass one). Have you thought about an ATO for a tank that size - has kept mine very stable with it -especially since I’m not good with remembering to top off evaporation
I am using the safe screen lid from innovative marine. I will get an auto top off later on I just can’t no it now because I am in a budget.

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I picked up a pair of clowns and 2 trocus snails from my amazing LFS! The LFS said that they were a pair and they have had them for a little while with no fighting. I already named the smaller one (the male) Mango. I am still trying to think of other names for the female but if you have any ideas leave them below.
IMG_5384.jpeg
IMG_5380.jpeg
IMG_5379.jpeg
IMG_5382.jpeg

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on maintenance I have been doing a 10% water change every week and am feeding a pinch of freeze dried brine shrimp every day. Th clowns are doing well and have been eating machines! I am planning on adding my first coral either a zoe or a mushroom in a few weeks. My plans going forward are to make this a mixed nano reef with lots of softies/lps and some sps up top.
IMG_5276.jpeg

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small update but Yesterday I noticed a small amount of algae on the rocks but this morning the snails had already cleared it off. I will dile back on the lights for now before I get corals.
IMG_5518.jpeg
IMG_5523.jpeg

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last week has definitely been a tough one. I lost one of my two trochus snails for unknown reasons. I just walked in on tuesday and I saw it on a rock in one spot then the next day went back same spot then the next day same spot. I decided to move the snail and I just picked it up off the rock not problem and no suction witch was strange. I put it on another rock and It still stayed there for a few days until I decided to pull it out. when I pulled it out it had no reaction and I was sure it was dead. So know I only have 1 snail. I also noticed some more algae coming up so this marks the start of my ugly stage.
IMG_5560.jpeg
IMG_5561.jpeg

It looks a little off in the pictures but it is definitely there. I know that it is just a phase but it bugs me. Should I get more CUC? Well after those notes I would like to give some positive things! First off the clowns are doing awesome and are eating like champs. They are always curious especially pumpkin (female). I have also noticed growth in Mango (Male) and he is definitely a feisty one!
IMG_5564.jpeg

(Pumpkin well I was trying to get photos of algae)

On another positive I won one of those reefbreeders pico lights that they are doing a giveaway for! (Link) I decided to use it for my bettas 10 gallon planted as my old light mounted to the lid it came with just went out. Here are some pics of that!
IMG_5558.jpeg

I am also 3d printing a new lid designed by me in 2 half’s for the 10 gallon!
72332517280__23500308-BA54-4FE9-90D8-47DE31BF249A.jpeg

For the future I am planning on getting my first frag a zoa or a shroom after christmas when I have a little extra cash. I also want to get some nassarius snails along with some other cuc and a pom pom crab eventually! Over all I am exited with the tank as it is doing well so far! I’ll give another update next week or sooner if anything new happens.

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week has definitely been an interesting one. I lost my other trochus snail. I think that it died because of a lack of algae. I added cuc a little bit soon before the algae started to take over and they just died. This especially stinks because I found a small feather duster (larry) on the snail. I decided to leave the shell on the sand bed for now just because I do not want to kill Larry.
IMG_5596.jpeg

Another thing is that the uglies are definitely getting worse. I am not sure what they are but If you know leave it below!
IMG_5659.jpeg

IMG_5660.jpeg

I also went to the LFS this week for some rodi water and I decided to get a small piece of live rock with some coraline on it to help with the tank some more.
IMG_5661.jpeg

I made a small cave out of the rock because I f felt there was not enough places for future fish and inverts to hide. My lfs sold me this one pound piece for $5 which I thought was a steal! I love my lfs as they are always helpful and always have a good selection!
IMG_5663.jpeg
Overall this week was pretty good and I am exited for the future of the tank!

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, very nice looking setup!
I'm thinking that "Larry" could very well be aiptasia, a pest that can reproduce fairly quickly. Maybe take a closeup of it so we can confirm.

Also, my opinion is to embrace the ugly stage and let that algae start coating the bleach white rocks. Only after you have a nice amount of it should you add a cuc.

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, very nice looking setup!
I'm thinking that "Larry" could very well be aiptasia, a pest that can reproduce fairly quickly. Maybe take a closeup of it so we can confirm.

Also, my opinion is to embrace the ugly stage and let that algae start coating the bleach white rocks. Only after you have a nice amount of it should you add a cuc.
I definitely agree with the ugly stage part I made a mistake and got 2 trochus snails when I saw the tiniest bit of algae and that was definitely not a good choice. I am going to wait a while before I get more cuc. I am pretty sure it is a feather duster. The tube is hard and I also posted a thread hear about it with better pics and most people said it was just a feather duster.
Link to thread

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back