OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank, I always like getting the small stuff fron the store and watching it grow out. Looks more natural over time than adding 3-4 big colonies all at once.
Ya I am doing it because I would love to see this small tank grow out but also because of budget reasons. Even though my LFS did just get in indo gold hammers…

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here goes this weeks update! First off I had to go away for a few hours this Saturday and one of my roommates decided that my fish “looked hungry” So they decided to feed my betta fish around 50 pellets in which I usually give him 4 or 5 a day and a whole cube of freeze dried brine shrimp in witch a single cube normally lasts me around 2 weeks. So inevitably when I tested phosphates were at 0.50 and Nitrates were at around 30 witch is not horrid but I still did an immediate water change. I was frustrated but told them to not do it again without my permission and they agreed. in other news I think my emerald crab molted!
IMG_5881.jpeg
Here is the top, it is more white than usual and semi transparent I also had not seen the crab in a few days.
IMG_5880.jpeg

There is also a large whole on the bottom and it has no smell. I had broke the legs off well removing it by accident. Finally in not so good news I spotted a very small aptasia on the zoa frag. I used superglue to cover up the spot but I know there are probably more around the tank that I will need to get rid of. I accidentally also partially superglued a zoa polyp but the other 5 polyps are out now. I will be getting a peppermint shrimp next weekend when I visit my LFS.

IMG_5871.jpeg

I thought it could be another Majano but it was really dull and brown ish.
To end it off here are a few pictures of my amazing conch snuffleupagus!
IMG_5878.jpeg
IMG_5865.jpeg

Also a pic of my corals right after I turned the light on.
IMG_5870.jpeg

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s that time again here is this weeks update! First off last week I saw a small anemone on my zoa frag but I did not really know what it was. I thought it was aiptasia or a majano but was not sure. I ended up posting a thread and they said it was definitely aiptasia. So I decided to get a little peppermint shrimp.
IMG_5915.jpeg

This one is L.Ankeri I believe but not 100% sure. I know that this is not the token one but as long as it does not eat my corals I am ok. If I wanted to be if this little guy does not eat aiptasia could I add another one of the right species? Or would I have to remove this one?
IMG_5919.jpeg

I also decided to start mixing my own saltwater. I will still buy RODI water from LFS but I wanted the ability to choose my salinity and customize it. I bought a 50 pound bag of Instant Ocean for $25 which should last me a while. I used the power head my relative got me as it was to much flow for the tank and mixed it up. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.
While I was at the LFS I got a sticker from the shop and a pack of algae wafers for my conch. I also decided to pick up one last coral for a few weeks as I am busy for the next month or so. I got a small one head branching hammer for $40.
IMG_9303.jpeg

I put it on the sand bed until more glue comes in. That’s about it for this week but here are some photos to finish it off well!
IMG_9302.jpeg
IMG_9305.jpeg
IMG_9301.jpeg
IMG_5913.jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart decision to make your own salt water, gives you complete control of what your putting in your tank and it will save you money in the long run. You are using a R/DI unit?

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart decision to make your own salt water, gives you complete control of what you’re putting in your tank and it will save you money in the long run. You are using a R/DI unit?
I am just buying rodi from LFS I will switch over eventually but not yet.

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another week another update! This week was really good for the tank. Yesterday I finally mounted the hammer coral onto the rock with a glue putty sandwich!
IMG_5976.jpeg

I mounted it about midway up the tank and I am hoping that it will grow down rather than up. I may also put a red hammer in between that one and the cabbage coral.
I have not seen the emerald crab in a long time so It may have died I am not really to sure. The “Molt” did have claws on it to so I am hoping it is just hiding. On news of inverts the peppermint shrimp is doing well. He is definitely eating a lot and seems to be doing pretty well.
IMG_5947.jpeg

I also got my pods in this week!
IMG_5957.jpeg

The corals seem to be doing pretty good as well very big puffy and happy!
IMG_5978.jpeg

That’s all for this week thanks for reading!

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I missed the update last week becauseI was super busy but I will just update everything now! First off last Sunday I decided to check out a new LFS and it was an interesting experience. I still prefer my main LFS because everyone there is just much friendlier and they also are way closer. Well I was their I saw this little guy and thought he was very cool! I will have to get one when I upgrade.
IMG_6029.jpeg

They had a special if you spend 50 you get $15 in livestock for free! I picked up some rastas that were 8 polyps with 2 more coming in for $50 and 3 astrea snails for 10 along with some fish food.
IMG_6032.jpeg

This is a horrible picture and in person they look amazing in person super bright and vibrant.
Now this week. This week was really not that crazy I moved the hammer down a little as it looked unhappy but other than that It was not really crazy. My corals especially the candy cane have been looking real good though.
IMG_6047.jpeg
I did average maintenance changing out carbon, filter floss and doing a water change. It is crazy how dirty those filter floss pads get!
IMG_6061.jpeg

I also tested the water.
IMG_6064.jpeg

Recently I have also been having a hair algae issue and my emerald crab has not been seen in a long time.
IMG_6026.jpeg

I will probably just let it take it’s course as my nutrients are a little high but not to much and it is a very new tank. I am starting to look for the final resident for this tank and right now I am really leaning towards a lawnmower benny. Could I do one in this size tank? I had seen a thread on here were someone asked and a lot of people said yes but I am not sure If I can. I mean look at this derpy little face!
1707171119538.jpeg

I would love one but I want it to be happy as well. Would it be happy in this tank?
Thanks to everyone for reading and see you all next week.

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty nothing really happened this week with the tank. The Hair algae on the back glass is almost gone but the cyano is getting worse.
IMG_6093.jpeg

Other algae is getting worse as well but I will just let it take its course for now.
That’s all for this week see you next week!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back