Reef Factory Smart Tester - Time for a test!

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah OK, I was wondering why you got 2 testers. So there is limit on the number of params you can test per tester without switching reagents.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah OK, I was wondering why you got 2 testers. So there is limit on the number of params you can test per tester without switching reagents.
Yeah, each set of reagents will test for one thing only! Here's your PO4 reagents - they look like ink for your printer.

During the "change reagents"-task, you will type in the unique ID on the batch you have and the unit will recognize what you will be testing for. After a short calibration process, you're good to go.

While you can swap around as much as you like, it's not really what this particular piece of equipment is made for. While it will certainly not appeal to everyone not having the flexibility of a Mastertronic etc. , it will work very well for others.

1707575949816.png

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to add to the PO4 reagents, they're advertised for 160 tests. I am getting about 150 - and I am testing once every day. So five months between replacement. Quite pleased with that!

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had your tester through yet? :)

Would be interested in hearing your opinion and experience with this as well!

I will be receiving nitrate reagents soon hopefully so my second tester can serve the purpose it was bought for! :star-struck:
Unfortunately, I have not. I actually just cancelled my preorder because they weren't getting any updates on when they would be available, after originally being told end of 2023. I'm still really itching to get one when they finally hit the US though. Otherwise, I'll have to move to the UK just to get one. :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I have not. I actually just cancelled my preorder because they weren't getting any updates on when they would be available, after originally being told end of 2023. I'm still really itching to get one when they finally hit the US though. Otherwise, I'll have to move to the UK just to get one. :grinning-squinting-face:
Well, I have brought home two tridents; one from the US and one from Canada! Much cheaper than in the UK so on you go! There's a couple of good shops next to London Heathrow :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Might be a pain for reagents though :p

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have brought home two tridents; one from the US and one from Canada! Much cheaper than in the UK so on you go! There's a couple of good shops next to London Heathrow :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Might be a pain for reagents though :p
Interesting. Didn't consider they may be cheaper over here. Honestly, really hoping they show up over in the next couple of months. If not, I might just task my fiancee with tracking one down for me when she goes to visit her family in France this May. Her brother moved to the UK so she usually starts there before going to Paris to see the rest of the family, so that would probably be a good place to start. I would tag along if it wasn't for work but honestly after visiting the inlaws a few times not too sad to miss the trip :squinting-face-with-tongue:

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review!
Hmmmm.i do fancy one of these purely for phosphate on next setup.im leaning towards the d-d KH manager over the RF kh keeper though.
Heard good things.
It's a slightly reworked kamoer unit from what I gather

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review!
Hmmmm.i do fancy one of these purely for phosphate on next setup.im leaning towards the d-d KH manager over the RF kh keeper though.
Heard good things.
It's a slightly reworked kamoer unit from what I gather
I think you'd be quite happy with either TBF, the KH Manager from D&D is a sleek unit though- and very popular in the UK! Haven't been lucky enough to try it out though..

As for the RF KH Keeper, I have one unit in the house and have had it for almost three years now. It's been solid for me working well on one of my nano tanks. Either unit will do you well I am sure!

What I will say, if you're considering the Smart Tester and you're keen on the RF ecosystem, then go with the KH Keeper!

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to add to the PO4 reagents, they're advertised for 160 tests. I am getting about 150 - and I am testing once every day. So five months between replacement. Quite pleased with that!
I purchased a smart tester on the weekend to test PO4 and so far it's doing a great job.
After comparing the first few tests against a hanna and salifert, they were all within 0.03 of each other.
I'm currently testing twice a day but will eventually drop it to once a day, what time of the day are you doing your test at?

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to purchase a Smart Tester for PO4. Is anyone aware if/when it will be available in the US?

PO4 is the parameter I care about most other than alkalinity. I like to test PO4 daily with ULR Hanna due to it's accuracy; automating the PO4 with similar accuracy to Hanna would be a game changer for me personally.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting piece of equipment. At $600+ USD currently for single unit, a bit out of my interest but my biggest surprise is that they don't seem to have any alkalinity reagent available.

I would've expected that to be one of the first.
Is that planned or not likely for some reason that I'm missing?

DaMenace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting piece of equipment. At $600+ USD currently for single unit, a bit out of my interest but my biggest surprise is that they don't seem to have any alkalinity reagent available.

Doesn't look like it advertises alk at all. Just phosphate, nitrate, calcium and magnesium.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like it advertises alk at all. Just phosphate, nitrate, calcium and magnesium.
Right -- that seems weird to me.
Feels like this would be geared for someone who wants to automate testing of one parameter (or maybe two if you buy two units),,, and be able to periodically stop testing a specific parameter and dedicate a unit to something else,,, but I'd think alkalinity would be one that many would like the option to automate.
*maybe I'm missing something

Mastertronic is looking pretty good at twice the price (but no experience).

DaMenace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right -- that seems weird to me.
Feels like this would be geared for someone who wants to automate testing of one parameter (or maybe two if you buy two units),,, and be able to periodically stop testing a specific parameter and dedicate a unit to something else,,, but I'd think alkalinity would be one that many would like the option to automate.
*maybe I'm missing something

Mastertronic is looking pretty good at twice the price (but no experience).
No experience with the mastertronic. I like the concept though. Especially being able to use any company's reagents and not be stuck to their own. But I've seen a lot of negative reviews so I passed on it. Reefbot is another one that I would like to get. Big unit for sure. So if you have no space for it then no go. I do. Plus, I think it would make it easier to self service being that big. Idk. There is a new mastertronic coming. Called mastertronic essentials. May go for that instead.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you want auto Alkalinity testing you buy the KH Keeper which is another piece of equipment.

I have one here that controls dosing of Alk, Ca, Mg, and Balling Salt.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 4.14.38 PM.png

Last edited:

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A valid point BUT if they did that you wouldn't have to spend around $800 on the separate KH keeper.....
Until automation becomes a little more cohesive & feels less like a cash grab I'll stick to my Hanna's:)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back