Reef Factory Smart Tester - Time for a test!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

So this arrived in the mail today! Chuffed and exited to see what they're like! Has anyone here tried them out yet?

My plan is to run one testing phosphates daily and the other one, eventually testing nitrate daily. For now, the second unit will be tried out with the magnesium reagents.

As for the Dosing Pump Pro X1, I plan on dosing Reef Zlements Phosphate remover basis the results from the Smart Tester.

Alternatively, it will be used for aminos :star-struck:

A more detailed review will be coming down the line..

1000001576.jpg

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no,never seen these but following….
added: is that available stateside or Europe only?
They recently released their product line in the US! BRS has them :) they make some great products..

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration and setup is going well, makers instructions are easy to follow and all in all, a positive experience so far! Only thing, the power cable and sampling lines are very short, so the tester has to be very close to the cabinet- or in it.

1000001592.jpg

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration and setup is going well, makers instructions are easy to follow and all in all, a positive experience so far! Only thing, the power cable and sampling lines are very short, so the tester has to be very close to the cabinet- or in it.

1000001592.jpg
Congrats on the new testers! I've been on preorder for one of these since July, so obviously super jealous :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:. Hoping to eventually be able to do something similar to you and have one for phosphate and one for nitrate. Along with the RF KH keeper I got going recently, I would finally be able to accomplish my very small dream of auto testing kh, phosphate and nitrate.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1000001592.jpg
So how's it going?

Do you have comparison results against the Hanna ULR Phosphate tester.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how's it going?

Do you have comparison results against the Hanna ULR Phosphate tester.
Having two units, it's a bit of a mixed review so far - but it could come down to the reagents being used as I have not swapped around to fully determine the errors I am seeing on one of them.

Phosphate - This unit has been running perfectly and like clockwork since I installed it. It is consistently within 0.1 PPM +/- off the Hanna HI736 checker. I am very please with this unit and while I don't fully trust an automated tester, I have allowed this one to somewhat control phosphate dosing on my DT using a Reef Factory Pro X1 dosing pump.

Magnesium - I have experienced a variety of issues with this unit, most of which I (as well as RF support) expect to be related to dodgy reagents. I have replaced reagents three times, done numerous calibrations and verifications and a variety of other fault finding. The first couple of measures were well within what I test with my Red Sea test kit as well as my Trident - since then it started to drift landing abt. 300 ppm off before failing completely.

I did have faulty reading of constant 3010 ppm before it started giving me a number of different error codes. After working with RF Support for about two weeks, I am awaiting a new unit and new reagents.

It is worth noticing that the second unit has been bought to test for Nitrate - reagents have not quite been released yet so as for the functionality on Magnesium, I don't really dare! :)

I do run two of the dosing pumps controlling my nutrients levels and I am very, very happy with these. Probably the best dosing pumps I have ever used.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some piece of kit very nice
It has the potential to be fantastic for sure, and in many ways it already is! :) Once they get their reagents properly sorted out (and released!) I am gonna be one happy chap!

I am eagerly waiting to be able to do with nitrate what I already to with phosphate! :)

The plan is for the smart testers to control a dosing pump each and balance nutrient levels. I have a very well working regufium and dose both nitrate and phosphate up.

PXL_20240104_120845211.MP.jpg

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has the potential to be fantastic for sure, and in many ways it already is! :) Once they get their reagents properly sorted out (and released!) I am gonna be one happy chap!

I am eagerly waiting to be able to do with nitrate what I already to with phosphate! :)

The plan is for the smart testers to control a dosing pump each and balance nutrient levels. I have a very well working regufium and dose both nitrate and phosphate up.

PXL_20240104_120845211.MP.jpg
Very tidy and organised set up a thumbs up from me.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given some of the talk in the Reef Chem forum - I am not sure any magnesium test is going to be accurate or repeatable. It certainly is not with my Hanna egg or ReefBot Lab. What is the word on Calcium? I am more concerned with Calcium, Phosphate and Nitrate.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given some of the talk in the Reef Chem forum - I am not sure any magnesium test is going to be accurate or repeatable. It certainly is not with my Hanna egg or ReefBot Lab. What is the word on Calcium? I am more concerned with Calcium, Phosphate and Nitrate.
So, the phosphate tester that I have spinning away on the wall has been running absolutely flawlessly since i set it up back in early December. It reads consistently within 0.01 of my Hanna Phosphorous ULR - I am extremely pleased.

I have set it up to work with one of the new X1 dosing pumps to maintain my phosphates levels in check.

As for the nitrate and calcium reagents, they are not quite out yet. Reef Factory told me recently that nitrate reagents are almost ready. I am waiting for an early version for me to test - I will update you once I have them up and running.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the phosphate tester that I have spinning away on the wall has been running absolutely flawlessly since i set it up back in early December. It reads consistently within 0.01 of my Hanna Phosphorous ULR - I am extremely pleased.

I have set it up to work with one of the new X1 dosing pumps to maintain my phosphates levels in check.

As for the nitrate and calcium reagents, they are not quite out yet. Reef Factory told me recently that nitrate reagents are almost ready. I am waiting for an early version for me to test - I will update you once I have them up and running.
Hi Casper,

While I’m nowhere near your level of knowledge, competency, and hands-on trials of complex products or tools; I always appreciate your threads for their clear, concise thoughts.

Having the ability to have true, reliable automated testing that ties into a auto-doser would be the holy grail for a newbie and non- science person like myself.

Bookmarking and following this thread closely.

Thanks Mate!

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Casper,

While I’m nowhere near your level of knowledge, competency, and hands-on trials of complex products or tools; I always appreciate your threads for their clear, concise thoughts.

Having the ability to have true, reliable automated testing that ties into a auto-doser would be the holy grail for a newbie and non- science person like myself.

Bookmarking and following this thread closely.

Thanks Mate!
Hey man! :)

Thank you for the kind words, I do appreciate it! I am just a fellow hobbyist with an addiction to toys; while trying to share my experiences as inspiration- and help and aid other reefers out there!

The automation and being able to have periods of "hands off" is essential to me in being successful in this hobby as I spend half of my year working away on a bit boat around the world. Currently underway from Cape Town to Lake Charles..

I am glad you're enjoying my posts - thank you for letting me know! You did make me smile! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Happy reefing my friend, take care!

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the cost?
The Smart Tester retails for £599 in the UK. Not sure as to what the price will be when it hits the US market.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new testers! I've been on preorder for one of these since July, so obviously super jealous :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:. Hoping to eventually be able to do something similar to you and have one for phosphate and one for nitrate. Along with the RF KH keeper I got going recently, I would finally be able to accomplish my very small dream of auto testing kh, phosphate and nitrate.
Have you had your tester through yet? :)

Would be interested in hearing your opinion and experience with this as well!

I will be receiving nitrate reagents soon hopefully so my second tester can serve the purpose it was bought for! :star-struck:

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that include all reagents?
It comes with one set of reagents. I use my two testers for phosphate and magnesium currently (although the Mg tester will run with Nitrate once the reagents are released).

You can test one parameter at one time, the unit is made for continuously testing for ex. phosphate.

If you want to test for something else, reagents will need to be swapped.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man! :)

Thank you for the kind words, I do appreciate it! I am just a fellow hobbyist with an addiction to toys; while trying to share my experiences as inspiration- and help and aid other reefers out there!

The automation and being able to have periods of "hands off" is essential to me in being successful in this hobby as I spend half of my year working away on a bit boat around the world. Currently underway from Cape Town to Lake Charles..

I am glad you're enjoying my posts - thank you for letting me know! You did make me smile! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Happy reefing my friend, take care!
You too and be safe on those glorious seas!

I’m dealing with my first big uglies on my 5-month old lil tank. Methodically going through process and mostly using the tool of “patience”. I’m blessed to have one of the owners of my LFS service my tank and graciously stops by when my patience tool isn’t working- lol.

Going to be adding some new fish finally and new lights over the next couple weeks so my build thread should start to look interesting again - lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back