Reef with SUBS

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As the title suggests....

Anyone have Home Theater setup with a reeftank in their house?

I got over excited and set up a HT (home theater) and wanted some real bass.

Obviously I didn't think far enough in advance and here I am :zany-face::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

The sub is for ultra low frequency's so it can get single didgit hz and hit well above 100 decibels. PSATV2112

One of our tanks is in a completely separate room so not too worried about that but one of the tanks is in the open area where the sub will be sending its sound. Not direct tho.

Anyone have a monster sub that they use in the same house?

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly, I would not have a tank anywhere near speakers like that. As an example, if you were to hit the glass slightly with your fist, it will cause corals to retract. It would be the same concept, but multiple times in a row. I feel it would really stress corals and fish out alot.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always like to sync the music to an "in tank light show." REEF RAVE baby! HA!

www.reefrave.com

OP
OP
MERKEY

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always like to sync the music to an "in tank light show." REEF RAVE baby! HA!

www.reefrave.com

OP
OP
MERKEY

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
honestly, I would not have a tank anywhere near speakers like that. As an example, if you were to hit the glass slightly with your fist, it will cause corals to retract. It would be the same concept, but multiple times in a row. I feel it would really stress corals and fish out alot.
I feel that sentiment for sure!!!

I may have to relocate one of them :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
MERKEY

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you this makes me feel quite a bit better ;)

I know I'll never use it to its fullest haha

The 1500 was a very nice sub!
I have the PSA V1500-b (now discontinued) and have had no issues with either tank.

@MERKEY Very nice sub, by the way. ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
MERKEY

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I promise I won't be putting any fish or tanks in jeopardy.

Truth be told I have had 2 12" klipsch going in the room I'm talking about for over 2 years AND the tanks are completelyunaffected.

im just now getting into the real side of HT And the true value of subs. Don't always use what you have.

I've invested too much Into the tanks to let anything happen :face-with-spiral-eyes:

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promise I won't be putting any fish or tanks in jeopardy.

Truth be told I have had 2 12" klipsch going in the room I'm talking about for over 2 years AND the tanks are completelyunaffected.

im just now getting into the real side of HT And the true value of subs. Don't always use what you have.

I've invested too much Into the tanks to let anything happen :face-with-spiral-eyes:
If you really want to put tanks in the same room, I would recommend putting some anti-vibration mat under the tanks and stand. Also do not have the tanks within a straight line of the subs, Bass is somewhat directional and has less impact off-center of the actual cone.
the only other example I can give is, when the bass drops, you can feel it. So can your tank and everything in it. If you take precautions, you can lessen the impact.

OP
OP
MERKEY

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ab
If you really want to put tanks in the same room, I would recommend putting some anti-vibration mat under the tanks and stand. Also do not have the tanks within a straight line of the subs, Bass is somewhat directional and has less impact off-center of the actual cone.
the only other example I can give is, when the bass drops, you can feel it. So can your tank and everything in it. If you take precautions, you can lessen the impact.
So true!

That's one thing about the HT journey is making the room sound proof!

Minifoot77

Jack of all trades and a master of none
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 10's iso with a 250w plate amplifier I copied off toids on youtube you can see how it stacks up against an ultimax 18 on his channel

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of 18" FI Infinite Baffle subs in a Home Theatre in the same room as my main display. You almost have to leave the room if they are turned up too far. What do you want to know? My fish do not care. I had to reinforce the walls for me, which is normal.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you spend too much on a sub that is super low frequency, make sure that your other gear can handle it. No need to spend so much on a sub only to have a receiver/whatever start to take a dump at 24 hertz and cannot get anywhere near single digit levels.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back