Reefer 350 Peninsula (73gal) began 4/13/23

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had a personal tank set up at my house for the past couple years after a catastrophe claimed my 300 gallon (3 day power shutdown over high winds, while out of town and no cell service, luckily my brother was able to rescue a lot of the livestock). However, with the recent birth of my first child, I felt I had to set one up.

We had an unused space under the stairs I figured would be perfect. However, depending on the height of the system, I was limited to around 36-40” to not have it stick out past the edge of the stairs. Because this area is in the center of our home, I knew it had to be peninsula style.
IMG_9235.jpeg
Red Sea launched the new 350 peninsula shortly after I began looking, so after double checking measurements and using their online visualization tool, I ordered the tank immediately after it was released.
IMG_8923.jpeg IMG_8922.jpeg
This location also meant that I would need power, so in the time it took for the tank to ship, I pulled power for four new plugs to the intended location. IMG_9252.jpeg

I also used the time to build my aqua scape, for this I used dried shelf rock that I had acquired over the years and set aside as my favorite pieces, some of which had come from my previous tank. Knowing the tank was intended to be viewed from 3 sides, I wanted to still make sure I provided hiding spots and plenty of caves so that fish and inverts would feel comfortable. I worked on the scape for a few days to get something I was happy with, propping the rocks up on boxes and buckets for temporary support before using 2 part underwater epoxy to secure the final structure. I’ve always found the epoxy by itself to not be that “sticky” so I always use it in conjunction with cyanoacrylate gel / frag glue. 69992105624__71DE569D-D6DA-440F-8F06-377D4570C151.fullsizerender.jpeg 69993086103__67AF94E1-E532-40AC-8100-1B4C0EC3A582.fullsizerender.jpeg IMG_8836.jpeg IMG_8846.jpeg IMG_8847.jpeg

I did not have the final dimensions when I actually started building the structure, so when I actually got it in-tank I noticed it was a little too close to the front glass if I positioned it down the middle as originally intended. Rather than be too frustrated, I just angled the whole structure slightly, which I found to be much more aesthetically pleasing, giving me ample clearance all around and a large focal sand bed area.
IMG_9277.jpeg IMG_9258.jpeg
I definitely should have soaked the dry rock in RO water before setting up, because after I built the structure I didn’t have a container large enough to do the whole thing, and brushed the task aside. I would later come to regret this decision. Haha
IMG_9278.jpeg IMG_9347.jpeg
I added 4x 20lb bags live sand, classic Fiji pink. Later after some movement of the sand bed due to flow, I added another 10lbs and feel that gave me the appropriate depth I wanted. IMG_9345.jpeg

I did briefly play around with a SCWD, (switching current water director), as with the Red Sea plumbing design, there are 2 return nozzles that can each be fed individually via two different pumps, or by a single using a Y or T, or. So with just some soft tubing, I was able to easily install it. I also felt with the peninsula design, the effects on flow would be more noticeable. While the tank was cycling, I put in a long fake freshwater plant decoration so I could observe and experiment with flow patterns throughout the tank.
IMG_9487.jpeg
IMG_9488.jpeg
Ultimately, I ended up removing it to run the one return constantly via the 2 stock returns. I felt this gave me a much higher overall flow rate without the restriction, which I feel outweighed the benefits of the switching current. I may revisit this with a stronger pump, or if I ever upgrade to a controllable DC pump which would allow for a lot of fine tuning. I’m on a mission for as few in-tank power heads as possible while still having a dynamic flow (tho I know that can be a bit oxymoronic in a reef tank).

I added the bacteria and starter ammonia and let things go, however I had an “ugly phase” / pea soup for over a month. After testing the water, I found the phosphate had spiked to a 0.93 via Hanna checker. All I could surmise was this it was leaching from the old, dry, live-rock I used, tho it was still a pretty shocking level. I used seachem phosgaurd to drop the Phosphate down to a manageable level, as well as running poly filter media to help absorb any other stray contaminates that may have leached in.
IMG_0150.jpeg
I added the first fish, 5 chromis and 2 clowns, a month in well after the ammonia and nitrite spikes had subsided. The tank still fluctuated with various stages of cloudy water for the next few weeks, which I suspect could’ve been remedied with a larger skimmer.
IMG_0277.jpeg IMG_0377.jpeg IMG_0379.jpeg
The first corals went in at around the 2 month mark and were a selection of zoanthid frags and mushrooms, which have done great from the start, since then have been gradually adding more pieces from my frag/ qt tank.
IMG_0606.jpeg IMG_0618.jpeg
I’m currently only running one of the Reef LED 90s at around 65% while the corals acclimate; the other one for this tank is currently being used on the frag tank until I can buy an additional one. I’m pretty impressed with how well lit the tank is off of just 1 light though. I didn’t plan on keeping the frag tank going after the tank was established, however am quickly discovering…. That is not the way haha

Nothing else too fancy equipment wise:
- Sicce Syncra 5.0 return pump (1321gph, estimated 750-950gph after head loss),
- MP40 as the sole powerhead for now,
-Vertex Somatic skimmer,
- heater
- small media reactor.

I also have the new Red Sea ATO and JBJ maxum battery backup air pump I still need to install.

Media wise just running carbon and clear fx pro. IMG_0614.jpeg .
IMG_1135.jpeg
IMG_0631.jpeg

IMG_9278.jpeg IMG_1483.jpeg

IMG_9235.jpeg IMG_8922.jpeg IMG_9252.jpeg IMG_9258.jpeg IMG_9277.jpeg IMG_9345.jpeg IMG_9347.jpeg IMG_9485.jpeg IMG_9491.jpeg IMG_0150.jpeg IMG_0151.jpeg IMG_9275.jpeg IMG_9364.jpeg IMG_0148.jpeg

OP
OP
reefadam

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is thus one of the new G2/G2+ tanks? Did it come with the Red Sea mat? (now I want one...)
This is a G2, but it is not the plus system so I didn’t get the Reef Mat. I have used the Reef Mat on other systems, they’re pretty cool, just didn’t want to add that expense for this one. All the G2 do come with ATO and leak detectors tho.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a G2, but it is not the plus system so I didn’t get the Reef Mat. I have used the Reef Mat on other systems, they’re pretty cool, just didn’t want to add that expense for this one. All the G2 do come with ATO and leak detectors tho.
I meant the floor mat in front of the tank - I want one! If yours came with the new ATO system you have a G2+.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had a personal tank set up at my house for the past couple years after a catastrophe claimed my 300 gallon (3 day power shutdown over high winds, while out of town and no cell service, luckily my brother was able to rescue a lot of the livestock). However, with the recent birth of my first child, I felt I had to set one up.

We had an unused space under the stairs I figured would be perfect. However, depending on the height of the system, I was limited to around 36-40” to not have it stick out past the edge of the stairs. Because this area is in the center of our home, I knew it had to be peninsula style.
IMG_9235.jpeg
Red Sea launched the new 350 peninsula shortly after I began looking, so after double checking measurements and using their online visualization tool, I ordered the tank immediately after it was released.
IMG_8923.jpeg IMG_8922.jpeg
This location also meant that I would need power, so in the time it took for the tank to ship, I pulled power for four new plugs to the intended location. IMG_9252.jpeg

I also used the time to build my aqua scape, for this I used dried shelf rock that I had acquired over the years and set aside as my favorite pieces, some of which had come from my previous tank. Knowing the tank was intended to be viewed from 3 sides, I wanted to still make sure I provided hiding spots and plenty of caves so that fish and inverts would feel comfortable. I worked on the scape for a few days to get something I was happy with, propping the rocks up on boxes and buckets for temporary support before using 2 part underwater epoxy to secure the final structure. I’ve always found the epoxy by itself to not be that “sticky” so I always use it in conjunction with cyanoacrylate gel / frag glue. 69992105624__71DE569D-D6DA-440F-8F06-377D4570C151.fullsizerender.jpeg 69993086103__67AF94E1-E532-40AC-8100-1B4C0EC3A582.fullsizerender.jpeg IMG_8836.jpeg IMG_8846.jpeg IMG_8847.jpeg

I did not have the final dimensions when I actually started building the structure, so when I actually got it in-tank I noticed it was a little too close to the front glass if I positioned it down the middle as originally intended. Rather than be too frustrated, I just angled the whole structure slightly, which I found to be much more aesthetically pleasing, giving me ample clearance all around and a large focal sand bed area.
IMG_9277.jpeg IMG_9258.jpeg
I definitely should have soaked the dry rock in RO water before setting up, because after I built the structure I didn’t have a container large enough to do the whole thing, and brushed the task aside. I would later come to regret this decision. Haha
IMG_9278.jpeg IMG_9347.jpeg
I added 4x 20lb bags live sand, classic Fiji pink. Later after some movement of the sand bed due to flow, I added another 10lbs and feel that gave me the appropriate depth I wanted. IMG_9345.jpeg

I did briefly play around with a SCWD, (switching current water director), as with the Red Sea plumbing design, there are 2 return nozzles that can each be fed individually via two different pumps, or by a single using a Y or T, or. So with just some soft tubing, I was able to easily install it. I also felt with the peninsula design, the effects on flow would be more noticeable. While the tank was cycling, I put in a long fake freshwater plant decoration so I could observe and experiment with flow patterns throughout the tank.
IMG_9487.jpeg
IMG_9488.jpeg
Ultimately, I ended up removing it to run the one return constantly via the 2 stock returns. I felt this gave me a much higher overall flow rate without the restriction, which I feel outweighed the benefits of the switching current. I may revisit this with a stronger pump, or if I ever upgrade to a controllable DC pump which would allow for a lot of fine tuning. I’m on a mission for as few in-tank power heads as possible while still having a dynamic flow (tho I know that can be a bit oxymoronic in a reef tank).

I added the bacteria and starter ammonia and let things go, however I had an “ugly phase” / pea soup for over a month. After testing the water, I found the phosphate had spiked to a 0.93 via Hanna checker. All I could surmise was this it was leaching from the old, dry, live-rock I used, tho it was still a pretty shocking level. I used seachem phosgaurd to drop the Phosphate down to a manageable level, as well as running poly filter media to help absorb any other stray contaminates that may have leached in.
IMG_0150.jpeg
I added the first fish, 5 chromis and 2 clowns, a month in well after the ammonia and nitrite spikes had subsided. The tank still fluctuated with various stages of cloudy water for the next few weeks, which I suspect could’ve been remedied with a larger skimmer.
IMG_0277.jpeg IMG_0377.jpeg IMG_0379.jpeg
The first corals went in at around the 2 month mark and were a selection of zoanthid frags and mushrooms, which have done great from the start, since then have been gradually adding more pieces from my frag/ qt tank.
IMG_0606.jpeg IMG_0618.jpeg
I’m currently only running one of the Reef LED 90s at around 65% while the corals acclimate; the other one for this tank is currently being used on the frag tank until I can buy an additional one. I’m pretty impressed with how well lit the tank is off of just 1 light though. I didn’t plan on keeping the frag tank going after the tank was established, however am quickly discovering…. That is not the way haha

Nothing else too fancy equipment wise:
- Sicce Syncra 5.0 return pump (1321gph, estimated 750-950gph after head loss),
- MP40 as the sole powerhead for now,
-Vertex Somatic skimmer,
- heater
- small media reactor.

I also have the new Red Sea ATO and JBJ maxum battery backup air pump I still need to install.

Media wise just running carbon and clear fx pro. IMG_0614.jpeg .
IMG_1135.jpeg
IMG_0631.jpeg

IMG_9278.jpeg IMG_1483.jpeg

IMG_9235.jpeg IMG_8922.jpeg IMG_9252.jpeg IMG_9258.jpeg IMG_9277.jpeg IMG_9345.jpeg IMG_9347.jpeg IMG_9485.jpeg IMG_9491.jpeg IMG_0150.jpeg IMG_0151.jpeg IMG_9275.jpeg IMG_9364.jpeg IMG_0148.jpeg
I never knew redsea sold a mat like that. Great tank though!

OP
OP
reefadam

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant the floor mat in front of the tank - I want one! If yours came with the new ATO system you have a G2+.
@Gumbies R Us
Oooo haha yea I forgot I had that there. The floor mat was given out by Red Sea this year to all Platinum Dealers as part of their annual swag pack of marketing materials.

Finn450

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice...how do you like the footprint of the 350 Peninsula? I see that the width is 25" which is a bit wider than the P500 I had a few years ago.

OP
OP
reefadam

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice...how do you like the footprint of the 350 Peninsula? I see that the width is 25" which is a bit wider than the P500 I had a few years ago.
I love it. I have been so happy with this tank and the way it fits my space. I’ve seriously considered removing the stair bannister to give a more unimpeded view, but I have a new baby who will be mobile soon….. The added width is definitely a bonus and something I’ve always liked about Red Sea tanks in general. With where it’s situated under the stairs, I could’ve gone wider, but I’ve never really been a fan of cube tanks.

OP
OP
reefadam

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to share a current stock list for the tank. Many of these came out of other displays I had, while the others were all conditioned at my shop for a minimum of a few months before I left.
-10x Chromis
-Rainford Goby
-2x pearly Jawfish, Aunt Alma and Uncle Red
-2x Bangaii cardinals (mated pair)
-3x Occelaris clown (the dark one is a chocolate mocha morph and was added as known Nem hoster, but the three have all been getting along great)
-Midas Blenny
-sixline wrasse
- long nose Hawkfish
-Vanderbuilt chromis
-Springer’s damsel
-Orange Anthia
- spotted dwarf scorpionfish (eating large pellet food, mysis, small krill)
-spotted mandarin (eating frozen)
IMG_0252.jpeg
IMG_0606.jpeg
IMG_0610.jpeg
IMG_0614.jpeg
IMG_0618.jpeg
IMG_0630.jpeg
IMG_1423.jpeg

I belie the male is carrying eggs in this photo, taken about a week ago.
IMG_1426.jpeg

This was taken during conditioning, he’s become quite cryptic in the display.

OP
OP
reefadam

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost forgot the Star of the tank, Haylie the Comet fish. Definitely a “reef safe with caution” fish, after observing some of the unique behaviors of this fish in particular, I deemed it worthy of the concession to forego smaller inverts and fish. This fish showed some not often seen behavior for this often not seen fish, with a very relaxed behavior overall. It also seemed more bold and less shy than other comets I’ve come across.
I’ve always wanted to keep this fish in a display, and figured now was my perfect opportunity. She was acclimated for a few months at my shop, during which I added a few other fish like a springer’s damsel to monitor aggression and she was super passive. She began accepting 3mm pellet shortly after I received her, and now gets a varied diet of pellet, mysis and krill. I made sure to design my scape to include caves for her to hide in and feel safe, but for the most part she hangs out under the overhang in plain view and even regularly ventures out into the open water. She leaves the hermit crabs alone, but I did find out a large porcelain crab was perfect size for a meal. I have 2 large cleaner shrimp and 1 large Blood Red shrimp she has left alone.
IMG_1531.jpeg
IMG_0075.jpeg

OP
OP
reefadam

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little 4 month update. Still only running one ReefLEd 90 at 80% and pretty happy with coverage. The other one I’m using on my frag tank until I get another one. So far dosing has been minimal to maintain calcium and alk, have been considering transitioning to All For Reef.
IMG_2078.jpeg
IMG_2079.jpeg
IMG_2083.jpeg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back