ReefHacks | Clownfish Breeding System - 160g.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. What does your broodstock system look like?

I missed this thread, it probably should have been in the fish breeding forum.

We need more threads like this..

Thank you! ;Happy Our brood system at this moment is a temporary setup that we are planning to move next year. I'll make sure to share more on this subject when we start building it. But now it's a shallow 12" tank with attaches chambers and a 20g connected to it. But we need to rebuild this part.

@Berlibee - thank you for the information that you and your team have shared and continue to share! I have been doing this for many years and I have found myself learning key nuances from you - thank you!

Thank you very much! I'd love to try also a few different types of fish in the feature. Something challenging and interesting. But didn't decide yet what fish. Any tips maybe? I'm ready for the notes ... ;Writing

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you very much! I'd love to try also a few different types of fish in the feature. Something challenging and interesting. But didn't decide yet what fish. Any tips maybe? I'm ready for the notes ... ;Writing

One thing that you may want to consider is to grab a copy of the Sep/Oct 2019 Coral Magazine, look at the list of Captive Bred Marine Fishes, and then pick out a fish or fishes that fits into the "Moderate to Low" or "Scarce" categories. For example, you already have proven your ability to spawn common clowns, but what about A. mccullochi? Or possible a species of damselfish? There are many fish that have been bred a few times that are not commercially available (and maybe not currently commercially viable because the recipe hasn't been firmed up yet).

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that you may want to consider is to grab a copy of the Sep/Oct 2019 Coral Magazine, look at the list of Captive Bred Marine Fishes, and then pick out a fish or fishes that fits into the "Moderate to Low" or "Scarce" categories. For example, you already have proven your ability to spawn common clowns, but what about A. mccullochi? Or possible a species of damselfish? There are many fish that have been bred a few times that are not commercially available (and maybe not currently commercially viable because the recipe hasn't been firmed up yet).

This is very interesting! Will take a look. Thanks a lot! No, I never tried any other fish yet.

No wait .... I had Guppy spawned in my tank when I was in school 20 years ago, does this count? ;Woot

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is very interesting! Will take a look. Thanks a lot! No, I never tried any other fish yet.

No wait .... I had Guppy spawned in my tank when I was in school 20 years ago, does this count? ;Woot

Fish want to live and fish want to breed - sometimes they do it because of us and sometimes they do it in spite of us. Either way, we still need to provide the water so your guppies count!

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish want to live and fish want to breed - sometimes they do it because of us and sometimes they do it in spite of us. Either way, we still need to provide the water so your guppies count!

Hahaha nice! ;Woot When I first read your message, I saw "sometimes they do it because of us, and sometimes they do it to inspire us." And I was like ... wow! @Peace River is good at writing! Indeed they breed and inspire us to learn more about the process and to push us experiment and find new ways to grow their babies! I even noted it in my notepad and marked that I need to quote you in the next article about breeding. ;Writing

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hahaha nice! ;Woot When I first read your message, I saw "sometimes they do it because of us, and sometimes they do it to inspire us." And I was like ... wow! @Peace River is good at writing! Indeed they breed and inspire us to learn more about the process and to push us experiment and find new ways to grow their babies! I even noted it in my notepad and marked that I need to quote you in the next article about breeding. ;Writing

There is no question that the fishes within my care inspire me and I have learned many life lessons from them and I also am regularly reminded of my ineptness and need to continually be learning.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed and how often?

In the modern world, we all know the importance of choosing the right food. Because how you feel now, tomorrow and in the future depends on your choices of food. And proper nutrition is a critical part of staying healthy. When talking about breeding, this statement is even more valuable.

When clownfish eggs hatching, the larvae are supported by a yolk sack. And the nutrients inside this sack are directly related to the diet of the parents. Not all the babies will be able to hunt immediately after hatching; it's a learning curve. The yolk sack will help them to survive during the first day and give them time to master the art of hunting when live food is introduced. So how to make sure they have beautiful and fat yolk sack when born? ;Pompus

Breeding Clownfish - Proper Diet.

The answer is very easy - Proper Diet. A balanced diet is essential in the breeding process. Today we see a lot of fish food on the market, but not all of them can be counted as a reliable source of nutrients. Without proper nutrition, not only the yolk sack won't be developed the right way, but the clownfish pair itself won't start breeding. Clownfish pair with a poor diet run the risk of eggs development problems and fertilizing issues. Balance is a fundamental element of progress to any goal, whether you are looking just to keep your reef tank fish healthy, good colouration or you want to stimulate them to breed. One of the most common questions that our readers ask us, is: "What are you feeding to your fish, to keep their colouration so intense and lay eggs?"

Clownfish-Anemone-Fish-Food.jpg

Breeding Clownfish Food Choice:

And sure I understand, we all want to have beautiful and colourful fish in our reef tanks. But fish food choice is massive, and it's easy to get lost in all the brands and ingredients. But a few elements are easy to spot.

Haematocococсus:

Haematococcus is a genus of algae in the family Haematococcaceae. And it's playing a critical role in the colouration of fish because it's a massive source of astaxanthin. In the wild tropical fish can get astaxanthin from different sources around them, plants, fungi or algae. But in aquaculture or our reef tanks fish are unable to synthesize astaxanthin biochemically; this is why it's essential to have it in their diet.

We are using two types of food, dry and frozen. Both of them are very quality and balanced mixes that contain Haematococcus or Astaxanthin in pure form. Remember: Diversity is Stability.

Brood:

1. @Reef Nutrition - TDO Chroma BOOST - С1 (Contain Haematococcus). Mixed with Probiotics - Morning.
  2. Rod's Food Original Mix. (Contain Astaxanthin) Mixed with Probiotics - Evening.

Grow Out:
  1. Reef Nutrition - TDO Chroma BOOST. (Contain Haematococcus). Mixed with Probiotics - Morning and Evening.
Probiotics:

Probiotics are the second essential ingredient for us.

Let's jump right in. The word "probiotic" dates back to 1905 when Dr Metchnikoff first described the idea of how good microbes in food could replace the harmful ones and have an overall positive effect on health. The word itself appeared later, and it originates from Greek pro and bios, which are translated as "for" and "life".

It's not that simple to find fish food with all the required probiotics inside. So we're using our blend that includes all the essentials strains. That we have developed last year and tested on our breeding projects, I will post a link to our test results this week as well. This way we are not attached to a particular food that contains probiotics, but we can use any fish food we want and still enjoy the benefits of probiotics by adding them right before feeding.

Don't skip on the quality of the fish food you're feeding to your pets. They deserve the best food you can find on the market. This subject is very interesting and please take your time and read the full article on our blog when you have time on the probiotics:

https://reefhacks.com/fish-food-probiotics/

Next, I will share the full process of the hatching clownfish eggs. It's a fascinating process you will love it, and I hope you'll try it as well!

What's your experience, what do you feed, and what are the ingredients you think are the most important? ;Happy

Last edited:

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I felt the need to to post a review here... after a conversation with @Berlibee, the next day his wife yulia sent me a bunch of choice pic clowns to choose from and after a long conversation where she graciously answered all my questions and my back and forth between a few clowns I really liked. I chose a really pretty mochavinchi to pair with my black storm. They shipped the lil guy out yesterday and I recieved him this morning in perfect shape and the water was still warm. I drip acclimated the new addition to my tank and then added him to an acclimation box to get everyone acquainted... this lil guy and my black storm will be moving into the frag tank as soon as it's up. Heres some pics.

Just wanted to thank you guys again. So gracious and patient. Yulia even texted me this am to make sure everything was good. You never see that with any other sellers. Top notch!!

20191105_094403.jpg 20191105_094408.jpg 20191105_104041.jpg 20191105_104327.jpg 20191105_104207.jpg

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this! To celebrate my new [HOSPITALITY AWARD] badge I have now a custom graphics with my wife Yuliya on it who's taking care of many clownfish breeding aspects. So I can property welcome new members of R2R! ;Happy

Welcome_ReefHacks.jpg
This is awesome. And so is she. she took her time to answer all my questions and even messaged me to ask how the fish was doing after delivery. That's customer service!

Halo_003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are really cool!

Couple of questions if you: I know you went over pairing maroons, have you ever tried pairing a female Occ. with a male/juvenile maroon? Also, since I've seen people mentioning orders from you, how would I go about doing so? I'd be interested in seeing what options you guys have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You two are awesome! Keep up the great work!

Thanks! ;Woot Don't forget to share you breeding results later with us.

Those are really cool!

Couple of questions if you: I know you went over pairing maroons, have you ever tried pairing a female Occ. with a male/juvenile maroon? Also, since I've seen people mentioning orders from you, how would I go about doing so? I'd be interested in seeing what options you guys have.

Hey! Glad you like them. ;Happy No, sorry we have never tried to do this. Best way is to send a PM and I'll try to help you. Enjoy the evening. Thanks.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back