ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooooonooooo I love that thing never been so satisfied with a tank

Ooookaaay, but when you get sick of it I call dibs:D I'll clean the shop for a year as payment haha. Man I really wish Ryan would let me put the 90 in the living room, it matches the furniture in there perfectly! But the laminate wood floors are much less water proof then the kitchen (plus the kitchen has the extra space) so I can understand why. As long as he doesn't complain that I spend all my time in the kitchen NOT making him a sandwich, then we won't have any issues haha.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank!
Thanks, it was. It is now in the process of being torn down, half the rock is in another tank and half of my corals are squashed in my biocube, everything else is just kind of hanging out in the 45 waiting. This upgrade has been put on hold for health reasons, but the good news is my surgery is in 2 days so hopefully I will feel better soon after and we can get the ball rolling again:) the munchkin will be going to his great aunts for a week starting next weekend, so that will be the perfect time to get these floors done while we don't have an extremely needy toddler running around lol. So that gives me about 5 days to heal before I finish tearing down the tank and start ripping up the floor, I wish I didn't have to go right back to work after, but being extremely short staffed and having someone on vacation means that I will just have to do most of my healing on the job lol.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is done, the 45 is no more:( I spent a good portion of my day Sunday tearing it down and transferring everything into a 20 long for the time being. This was after getting 4 hours of sleep, waking up and packing the munchkins bags, dropping him off, and then spending 3 hours in Lowes getting stuff for the floors. Obviously i also picked up odds and ends for tank stuff while i was there:) Everyone is alive and well, although annoyed with me. I, on the other hand, feel like a train hit me lol. My arms are sore from lifting rocks and buckets for 8 hours, and my legs are even more sore from tripping over the dog gate while running with a monti cap, which broke to pieces when I slammed into the floor:( luckily I did not smash my face on the floor and break my teeth to pieces before the stitches are even out hahaha. Anyway now the fun of ripping up the floor can start, which is turning out to be more of a pain then we anticipated. The old floor is so brittle it is proving hard to pry up, so I will see about getting a heat gun to help soften the glue and hopefully that will help the process go a little faster. Thank goodness the kiddo is visiting family this week because I could never get away with how the 20 it set up with him around lol. There would be trucks and crackers in the sump and everything would be unplugged!
2016-08-23-03-08-03.jpg

I am reaaaaally liking a tank in this spot though, I might have to make pouty lips and bat my eyes a bit so I can put the 90 there lol. It would be nice to spend some time in the living room with everyone else instead of in the kitchen constantly. That's where I always have to have the bigger tanks, not because I cook or anything lol. I will post some pics of the floors when we are done and maybe some of the upgrade before I start a new build (well more of a transfer) thread.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- that is why I purchased my new tank and am setting up my system the way I did. The wife and I are always in the living room , either reading, talking, watching TV. So, it did not make any sense to put up a tank anywhere else. Since I am getting old and do not want to lift buckets anymore-- I will have my sump/refugium and mixing station in the basement- just picked up a 3/4 ID hose 30 feet for 18 bucks at the local small Sears outlet that is closing. It will be a way to pump new salt water into the sump from the mixing station or pump water out of the sump to laundry sink.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- that is why I purchased my new tank and am setting up my system the way I did. The wife and I are always in the living room , either reading, talking, watching TV. So, it did not make any sense to put up a tank anywhere else. Since I am getting old and do not want to lift buckets anymore-- I will have my sump/refugium and mixing station in the basement- just picked up a 3/4 ID hose 30 feet for 18 bucks at the local small Sears outlet that is closing. It will be a way to pump new salt water into the sump from the mixing station or pump water out of the sump to laundry sink.
Maybe if I leave the floors half finished I will HAVE to have the tank in there lol. This floor scraping buisiness is getting old, and I don't even have 1/4 of the room done. It doesn't help that all the tools are in the car that Ryan took to work today, so I am just using a hand scraper until he gets home lol. Although it's not like I don't have a tank in the living room. There is the 8 gallon biocube next to the couch, which is fun and all, but there just isn't as much to look at. I can't wait to see your new tank up and running. I would love to do a custom tank like that one day. Maybe when space isn't such an issue:)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best of luck to you and hope you feel better soon!

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck to you and hope you feel better soon!

Thank you, I am a fast healer so I am better every day:) My bruises from my fall are almost gone already. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to being able to eat a burger though lol. Bumps and bruises I am ok with, it's teeth stuff that keeps me from eating that I can't stand! I still have one more week until my follow up appointment where I will get the stitches out, if they haven't come out on there own by then. I haven't popped over to your build thread in a while, hopefully you are making some good progress:D

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here we go, my last update. The floors were finally finished. It took much longer then I anticipated due to problem areas found along the way, work, and our kitchen being freakishly huge, but I couldn't be happier with how they turned out. Here they are when I was pulling the old stuff up. I thought what we had was bad, look at what was under that! Lol.
2016-08-28-15-42-47.jpg

Here is the finished product. Still have some patching and painting to do in some places, but that's another project.

2016-08-28-15-38-38.jpg

2016-08-28-15-39-03.jpg

Oh, did you notice something in the corner? Yes, that is the beginning of the new "build", but I will save the details for a new thread;) Thanks for following along everyone. I am sad to see the 45 go after such a short time. It was definitely one of my favorite tanks, even with all the issues i ran into, but it's time to move onto bigger and better things.

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here we go, my last update. The floors were finally finished. It took much longer then I anticipated due to problem areas found along the way, work, and our kitchen being freakishly huge, but I couldn't be happier with how they turned out. Here they are when I was pulling the old stuff up. I thought what we had was bad, look at what was under that! Lol.
2016-08-28-15-42-47.jpg

Here is the finished product. Still have some patching and painting to do in some places, but that's another project.

2016-08-28-15-38-38.jpg

2016-08-28-15-39-03.jpg

Oh, did you notice something in the corner? Yes, that is the beginning of the new "build", but I will save the details for a new thread;) Thanks for following along everyone. I am sad to see the 45 go after such a short time. It was definitely one of my favorite tanks, even with all the issues i ran into, but it's time to move onto bigger and better things.
I would have stuck with the old retro layer underneath and called it a day. LOL. I actually am a flooring installer by trade. Looks good. Did you use the "self sticking" vinyl tile? Cant wait to see what you have going on with that nice little stand over there... :)

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have stuck with the old retro layer underneath and called it a day. LOL. I actually am a flooring installer by trade. Looks good. Did you use the "self sticking" vinyl tile? Cant wait to see what you have going on with that nice little stand over there... :)
Haha oh no way, that stuff was so sticky! My poor dog tried to walk on it and got his little feet stuck for a minute lol. Which obviously made things much more fun lol:/ Thank you, it is peel and stick. It is the first time I've used peel and stick before, so considering that and the room not being a perfect rectangle, I think it turned out pretty well:) You should have mentioned you do flooring sooner, I would have had you do a road trip hahaha. Keep an eye out for "ReefQueen's 90 gallon", title pending;)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back