1   0   0
Awesome bro! Any FTS? :)

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, sweet setup! My stand is virtually identical to yours. I basically copied D2mini's old tank stand and I think it looks great! I also run a 400 watt Radium on my 36x30x16 tank with a pair of 24" t5's. I'm also thinking about adding a RB xho to the mix. Do you feel that your RB is helping out a lot with the colors of your acros? Are you running them both at 100% output?

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, sweet setup! My stand is virtually identical to yours. I basically copied D2mini's old tank stand and I think it looks great! I also run a 400 watt Radium on my 36x30x16 tank with a pair of 24" t5's. I'm also thinking about adding a RB xho to the mix. Do you feel that your RB is helping out a lot with the colors of your acros? Are you running them both at 100% output?

That's to funny Sang, you actually played a part in me choosing this size tank. I think I probed you with a few ?'s on lighting a couple years ago in preparation for this build. It was either on here or RC.
I too used d2mini's stand as a reference and added my own touches to the finish:)
The xho's were originally bought for dusk/dawn. I do run them at 100% but only for a few hrs a day. I should probably swap my lighting time schedule for the VHO's and xho's as the reefbrites are a lot brighter and look better running with the Radiums.
Here is 1 pic of the blueprint of the stand...
image.jpg

OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That first pic above is of the 2x4 stand frame... Here is a blue print top view/cross sectional view of the corners of the stand...
image.jpg

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Reeftank and some mad DIY skills brother.

Cheers, Todd

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha I totally forgot! It was probably on RC.:) When I was reading your thread today (first time I've seen it on here) I was thinking this guy has similar dimensions, uses similar components and has the same stand! What were the odds? You have great taste, btw.:) I am probably going to swap out my t5's with the RB's. If I can fit the RB's in my hood with the t5's, that would be awesome but I don't think I have enough room in my floating canopy. If you could only choose one, would you keep your VHO's or the RB's?

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful Reeftank and some mad DIY skills brother.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks Todd, having the use of my Dad's radial arm saw that he's had for the last 40 years was very helpful. Accurate mitre cuts, cross cuts, ripping and shaving. A tool with a lot of utility when it comes to woodworking. This was the second stand my dad and I built together. The first one for my 75g was a Birdseye maple mission style peninsula build that turned out quite nice also. Someone else now enjoys that one.

OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha I totally forgot! It was probably on RC.:) When I was reading your thread today (first time I've seen it on here) I was thinking this guy has similar dimensions, uses similar components and has the same stand! What were the odds? You have great taste, btw.:) I am probably going to swap out my t5's with the RB's. If I can fit the RB's in my hood with the t5's, that would be awesome but I don't think I have enough room in my floating canopy. If you could only choose one, would you keep your VHO's or the RB's?

That's a tough one. I love them both. The super actinic VHO's really bring out greens in things. Example would be my 20k lokani. With reefbrites it makes the lokani look all blue. With the VHO's it makes the lokani look like the reeffarmers pic when Eric first brought it in, with real tealish green and purple. The VHO really brings out that green sheen that some acros possess. My pichoni has that green sheen and polyps that is really nice under the VHO's.
The reefbrites compliment the Radiums better I believe. If you can somehow fit both:) I have mine staggered like stadium seating to make that possible.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds good. Both of us even have the same types of corals in our system, minus the Bounce shroom:). Love your tank!

OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks man! You have a build thread? I'm sure yours is pretty sweet.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually I don't. I have an old build thread at RC but I haven't posted in months. I might start one here someday.

OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do it man:) I felt kind of guilty being a sleeper on here and never posting. I also really wanted to have something to show for all the time, effort and $ put into this crazy hobby that I enjoy. It's a nice way to document that I think. Plus, who doesn't like looking at pics on here? Felt it was time to contribute:)

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All good points. I just might be motivated during summer vacation when I'm off work. Until then, I'm in collection mode and will keep filling her up!:)

OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
d_adler -
I most recently quit dosing prodibio after about 3 months. I was having a cyano issue, not saying there is any relation, I just wanted to temporarily eliminate one of the possibilities. Sorry for the short reply earlier, was busy and offered a quick smart phone response:)

Last edited:

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My UC Mille hasn't colored back up for the past 8 months, but has grown. It was just like your picture but now it is pink/yellow. How far is it from the MH? What is your lighting schedule for the MH and supplements currently? TIA

OP
OP
reefsponge

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My UC Mille hasn't colored back up for the past 8 months, but has grown. It was just like your picture but now it is pink/yellow. How far is it from the MH? What is your lighting schedule for the MH and supplements currently? TIA

My MH is on for 8 hrs a day and my piece is slightly off centered 20" below the bulb.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back