Refugiums?

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not new to saltwater, but I've been going about it cheaply and have paid the cost. I have a 110G with a fluval 407 that came with it used. I have Fish, inverts, and just polyp and mushroom corals. I'm ready to spend some money on a new 75G and want to go with a refugium and better lighting. The canister is a pain to keep cleaning. I know very little about refugiums and hookups. Is there a site or some books that may help me? I was looking at a Fiji-20 sump, and I understand I would have to have my tank drilled out for an overflow. Where can I have that done other than buying the whole system? Or am I still trying to get away to cheap?? Help!!! Thanks guys

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for a used complete system. I think by the time you piece it all together you'll come out ahead just buying a decent used setup. Seems like I'm seeing good deals everywhere lately.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah absolutely, as @flashsmith says the far easiest way for you is to find a good used deal. There will be plenty out there from popular brands like Red Sea and Waterbox and many, many more.

Unsure where you would look for this in your area, eBay might be an option- and the market function here on R2R. Maybe your local shop has a good deal or someone on your local reef club.

Off topic- have you watched the 52 weeks of reefing playlist? it's fairly old by now but it was my first exposure to the world of saltwater/reef tank keeping.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a used tank or a new one that is drilled already if you want a sump. You could always use a HOB overflow kit if you want to be a real cheap skate lol.

That a nice sump though. I want one too.

Drilling a tank is risky, good chance of cracking it if not done 100% perfectly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back