OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I left the clams until they were eaten with no issues. Now they are gone in the first 30 seconds of being in the tank. Regal loves them!
I might toss another one in there then. I was just thinking to ask how long you left them in, if you defrosted or added garlic?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I might toss another one in there then. I was just thinking to ask how long you left them in, if you defrosted or added garlic?
Clam, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp are enticers bu8t do not leave food in the tank longer that 36-48 hours as increase in nitrate and ammonia will start to develop

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clam, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp are enticers bu8t do not leave food in the tank longer that 36-48 hours as increase in nitrate and ammonia will start to develop
Thanks! I'll probably do another 25% water change tomorrow to get any leftover pellets etc. up.

Any thoughts on the video I posted a little while ago in this thread regarding the bulging eye on the regal?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks! I'll probably do another 25% water change tomorrow to get any leftover pellets etc. up.

Any thoughts on the video I posted a little while ago in this thread regarding the bulging eye on the regal?
I glad you mentioned video as I never saw it earlier
Its concerning as the angel is breathing heavy and this and eye can stem from flukes, water quality issue, eye injury or gases or microbubbles. I would take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings and assure your results are within safe range.
I would also consider a treatment tank with fresh mixed water and added aeration and if bulge doesnt subside in next 24 hrs, treat with Maracyn (not maracyn oxy) for at least 5 days.
Symptoms of flukes will be red or swollen gills, fish appearing to yawn, itching/ scratching on objects, hiding, rapid breathing and loss of appetite.

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glad you mentioned video as I never saw it earlier
Its concerning as the angel is breathing heavy and this and eye can stem from flukes, water quality issue, eye injury or gases or microbubbles. I would take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings and assure your results are within safe range.
I would also consider a treatment tank with fresh mixed water and added aeration and if bulge doesnt subside in next 24 hrs, treat with Maracyn (not maracyn oxy) for at least 5 days.
Symptoms of flukes will be red or swollen gills, fish appearing to yawn, itching/ scratching on objects, hiding, rapid breathing and loss of appetite.
Thanks. That's about the breathing rate I've observed since he went into QT. The eye bulge had to have appeared between yesterday afternoon and today.

It'll be hard pressed to get a sample to a LFS (most are ~1hr away) after work but I'll see if I can figure something out. Amazon is end of week for any non API kits and maricyn.

I have an empty 29 I can try and get up if you think that's the best course of action. Have about 15g of Salt on hand. 10g from the store I bought him from Friday and a 5g batch mixing now.

I know the API nitrate test was running ~40ppm before a 25% water change yesterday. Again, if I can get to a LFS I'll see if I can get more mixed salt, maricyn and an alterative test kit.

I have not observed any scratching, itching, hasn't eaten so can't say on loss of appetite and that's par for the course with some of these regals. Haven't noticed the yawn but did see a peculiar cough like stutter motion with the mouth.

For reference - he's the only fish that's ever been in this 40b until a blue throat trigger joined him Saturday. It was originally set up from scratch as a coral/invert quarantine and the rock/sand removed Thursday.

*Edit* for ammonia I also have a badge in there so it's redundant in that though I'm not sure how stalwart that is between API and the ammonia badge. I removed all cannister filter pads save the inert ones and added a nitrate reducing pad from the sump of the 120DT in both a cannister filter and a hang on the back and added some fritz turbo start last week.

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081

for reference - this is what he does. he stays in the front right bottom. if you get too close for his liking he moves to the back below the heater bar. at lights out he moves from there into the 3" pvc elbow. he doesn't venture far from either of those three locations. he doesn't specifically hide unless you get right up next to him and even then it's just under the heater bar on the side.

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is the night time spot ( in the large pvc elbow). This was taken like 5 minutes after the previous video. Not sure if any of this is helpful regarding the hiding part of the eye bulge / fluke possibility.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081

for reference - this is what he does. he stays in the front right bottom. if you get too close for his liking he moves to the back below the heater bar. at lights out he moves from there into the 3" pvc elbow. he doesn't venture far from either of those three locations. he doesn't specifically hide unless you get right up next to him and even then it's just under the heater bar on the side.

I believe i see a gyre pump in the tank which may be offering excess current. Fish doesnt seem to show symptom of flukes

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe i see a gyre pump in the tank which may be offering excess current. Fish doesnt seem to show symptom of flukes
That is a gyre. It's a jebao model currently on 3 of 8 with regards to flow. I can turn it off if we think that's causing an issue.

If we're thinking it's not flukes, should I still look to set up a 20/29 (think I have both)?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That is a gyre. It's a jebao model currently on 3 of 8 with regards to flow. I can turn it off if we think that's causing an issue.

If we're thinking it's not flukes, should I still look to set up a 20/29 (think I have both)?
Base a quarantine tank if eye does not improve. Even lower the gyre to 2 to see if fishs' behavior improves.

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Base a quarantine tank if eye does not improve. Even lower the gyre to 2 to see if fishs' behavior improves.
Much appreciated!

I turned the gyre off for now. I have the return flow from the cannister that pushes across the tank, plus an air pump going. We'll see if that helps the situation. If I don't see an improvement in the eye tomorrow I'll plan to make a trip to a LFS Wednesday after work for better test kits, maricyn and, set up a 20L and move him over for treatment.

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His swim behavior has changed today. I’m at work but checking in. Seems to keep repeating a float to the top, swim back down rather than staying in one of his two spots. I can’t say I see his pectoral fins moving but vid quality is what it is.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back