Calling all tank raised Regal Angels owners.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am contemplating order tank raised Regal angels and does not want to burn nearly $1000.00 (I wanted two) and come up empty.

For those who got Tank raise Regal angels, please help me by answer the question:
What was the size of your Regal? How easy was it to raise them at that size? Where did your get your Regal? Would you also order food that they are known to eat from the breeder?

Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a pair. It seem several people I know got them and not able to keep them alive in grown out tank. These are good seasoned reefers, not beginner and not just have them dump into DT.

dowdalld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one, couldn't believe how small it was. I got it through 4 weeks of prophylactic quarantine but was never sure what it was eating other than possibly crushed flake. I guess it must have been eating something. Anyway then I made a mistake. I moved it into my DT where it died within a week. I should have put it in my sump and tried to grow it out there but I was too keen to get it I to the DT. It would have needed months to reach a decent size. I wouldn't get one again.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one, couldn't believe how small it was. I got it through 4 weeks of prophylactic quarantine but was never sure what it was eating other than possibly crushed flake. I guess it must have been eating something. Anyway then I made a mistake. I moved it into my DT where it died within a week. I should have put it in my sump and tried to grow it out there but I was too keen to get it I to the DT. It would have needed months to reach a decent size. I wouldn't get one again.
Thanks. Can you answered all the questions.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one at about 2” second hand from biota. Put it in my big fish tank. Did really well till I had a velvet outbreak a year later.

Everything I’ve gotten from biota has done really well.
IMG_3171.jpeg
IMG_3624.jpeg

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following. I really want a regal to be my centerpiece fish. My tank is currently fishless, all corals and inverts. I have plenty of QT tank space available. Don't want to watch a fish die though!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a pair. It seem several people I know got them and not able to keep them alive in grown out tank. These are good seasoned reefers, not beginner and not just have them dump into DT.
I read this as well, I was looking at Biota. I didnt want it to die because it does seem like a lot of people cant grow captive bread regals out. But saw a lot of these stories from others when researching, so I went with a red sea regal from WWC and she was eating after day two.

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am contemplating order tank raised Regal angels and does not want to burn nearly $1000.00 (I wanted two) and come up empty.

For those who got Tank raise Regal angels, please help me by answer the question:
What was the size of your Regal? How easy was it to raise them at that size? Where did your get your Regal? Would you also order food that they are known to eat from the breeder?

I got my captive bred from reef beauties. It was maybe an inch. I started it in a 20g quarantine tank for a little over 2 months, and got it eating many types of foods. I did not run copper, and kept the water quality in excellent condition, and ran prazi near the end to deworm. Mine really liked Freeze-Dried Cyclops from San Francisco Bay Brand. I had a ~3 inch T piece of PVC and would release the food inside the PVC, which would then float up and remain under the top part of the PVC. The Regal loved eating this way. I didn’t intend it, but thinking now, it mimics the physical act of eating sponge from the underside of a rock. Masstick also worked pretty well smeared against the glass. Tiny pellets and frozen were also introduced in this QT. I don’t know what the breeder fed.
1709938211296.jpeg

1709938189444.jpeg

1709937987254.jpeg

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my captive bred from reef beauties. It was maybe an inch. I started it in a 20g quarantine tank for a little over 2 months, and got it eating many types of foods. I did not run copper, and kept the water quality in excellent condition, and ran prazi near the end to deworm. Mine really liked Freeze-Dried Cyclops from San Francisco Bay Brand. I had a ~3 inch T piece of PVC and would release the food inside the PVC, which would then float up and remain under the top part of the PVC. The Regal loved eating this way. I didn’t intend it, but thinking now, it mimics the physical act of eating sponge from the underside of a rock. Masstick also worked pretty well smeared against the glass. Tiny pellets and frozen were also introduced in this QT. I don’t know what the breeder fed.
1709938211296.jpeg

1709938189444.jpeg

1709937987254.jpeg
What a beauty!!!!

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more experiences??? With the popularity of this fish, it does not seem like there are a great number of success. It is really too bad.
I wonder why the breeder won’t hold it for a few more months before selling.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I haven't personally owned a tank raised one, I did see one from biota at an lfs I frequent and at least from their experience, the fish simply never took to feeding off anything besides a small amount of flake food periodically.
Can't say that's a bad thing (considering wild larger ones commonly may take to nothing at all in captivity) but I wouldn't want one unless I had a dedicated grow out tank for it considering how slow they grow compared to a lot of other fish (particularly other angels for that matter if that were in consideration)

Attachments

• 20221107_082657(1).jpg
    20221107_082657(1).jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 20

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that I got from dr reefs. It was about 3-4” when I got him about a year ago. I put him in with some considerably larger fish. While it is not a pair and he did start off a decent size, I have had a great experience thus far. He seems to eat anything from pellets to a variety of frozen foods etc

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Captive bred, raised, will carry a premium as you are aware. I personally don't mind paying it as there is a lot that goes on behind that we don't see. The Cuban Basslet for example which I believe I read took upwards of 5 years to bring to market. Everything from permits to food to reliable shipping. Crazy.

I know you are specifically asking about Regal's but I will share my Biota fish history if you don't mind. Please note that I only buy direct from them. I will not purchase through unknown middle retailer for safety reasons.

What was the size of your Regal?

All of the captive bred fish I've purchased though Biota have arrived small. Anywhere from the size of a US $0.05 nickel to maybe a $0.50 fifty cent piece.

How easy was it to raise them at that size?

A lot will depend on your process and their final destination. Display maturity and fish they will coexist with makes the world of difference. We have to remember that these fish are small, young, less than a year old I'd wager. I don't know their exact age but due to the size I can't imagine much more.

How easy - easy. The captive bred/raised fish are already eating prepared foods. Biota lists what they are feeding on their portal. When in doubt send them an email and they reply within a day. I keep that food on hand since they are used to it. I also use my own. TDO x-small, small, and medium. Hakari marine a, s, and for frozen LRS reef, fish, nano, baby brine, mysis, and prime reef.

Now the fun part.

I feed small portions hourly. Mixed blend of the dry pellet I noted above. When I introduce new fish I pay attention to what they are eating. If I add multiples then I watch who is not getting as much or is further away from the rest. I then manually feed the area that they are hanging out. I've had to do this with a couple fish I've purchased when I buy in groups. Anthias and damsels. Two things happen. They eat until they grow up a bit then blend back in and they get smart to pick off the food from the surface. Once I see either of these I slow down on the manual spot feeding. Works every time.

Similar to above with frozen I feed twice. Mix a little of each up and let the flow carry it. Faster, larger fish, go after the big stuff and the LRS foods get picked up by the youth. The long and short of it here is that they are growing, competing with larger fish, so I feed small portions and observe.

Some fish - matted filefish, radial filefish, may not be able to handle the display flow so isolation, refugium works best. Similar process above but I manually feed throughout the day as I don't have an auto feeder on my refugium. Any fish that needs to grow out due to other fish in the display refugiums work great.

Note: I DO NOT USE HARSH CHEMICALS nor do I QT. I buy direct, isolation/observe, acclimation box, release. And I use my refugium. Few fish went right into the display due to my thoughts on their eating habbits.

Where did your get your Regal?

I only buy direct and that would also be my recommendation. They do their best for bio security and it doesn't touch any middle system(s). This, to me, is the safest option and all that I have done. I purchased one captive bred fish via a retailer, ORA yellow assessor, but that is it.

Would you also order food that they are known to eat from the breeder?

As I noted above I check what they list as eating and keep it on hand. I also keep TDO and quality frozen like LRS Reef, Fish, and Nano (nano is important).

I'm not sure I helped you but I have had great success with captive bred fish. Half the battle is knowing they are young, small, and need some attention. Observation isolation is ideal. I do not like harsh chemicals or QT protocols for captive bred, raised fish when buying direct. The key to success is providing quality food, refuge, and a mature display. They will forage all day long and if that isn't there may decline. Regals, Multibars, forage. Provide that without hostility you will be fine. Hostile fish, risky.

My Biota fish list:
Gold Lined Rabbitfish
4 x Pink Square Anthias
Matted Filefish
Radial Filefish
Links Goby
Upside Down Goby
Milletseed Butterflyfish
11 x Lyretail Damsels

My ORA fish list:
Yellow Assessor

These are all alive today and doing great. No DOA's. The only captive bred fish I had trouble with was Fork Tail Blenny. Tried three. Placed them in the refugium like I normally do. One went through the overflow into the sump then into the display. Alive when I saw it the next day but was bullied a bit and starved. Or so I think. The other two never made it and I'm not sure why. More than likely something I did or missed. Everything else though is great.

Note 1: why did I post when you specifically asked for Regals. Well I have purchased a few fish directly from Biota and felt it might help. Especially around feeding and suggesting not using strong QT protocols. They all arrive small so maybe that will be of help to you.

Note 2: while not a regal the Milletseed Butterfly information may be of help. It was maybe the size of a 50 cent piece and forages all day. I used an acclimation box for it and my Pink Square Anthias seemed ok with it. After I released it, well, the transitioning Pink Square went after it. It was relentless. Not nipping fins mind you but anytime it saw it, it would be a torpedo after it until it found a small place to hide out. Thus my comment above about display and existing fish. Chasing adds stress when they don't know the lay of the land. In my case I had to find the place it used the most and directly drop food there. It worked. Also it paired up and followed my Copperband Butterfly of all things. So it needed a couple days to sort out the display and it worked out.

I hope this makes sense. Planning and preparation is everything in my opinion. Obviously I'm somewhat biased but also not going to lie. I really support what small businesses like ORA and Biota do and I've personally had good luck.

Not the best video but you can see most of the fish I noted above here. You won't see the yellow assessor as it chills under a ledge near the hammer, frogspawn. Similar with the upside down goby - not going to see it - when you do though it is priceless.

Milletseed after a few days in my display - maybe for size reference?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back