would you add a emp. angel is this tank?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been dragging my feet on this build. but I need to get serious about it now. tied of having an empty tank in the house for months now...haha

tank is a 200 gallon peninsula 70x30x22 with a 75 gallon sump. i'll run UV, Ozone, skimmer and ATS for filtration.

my original plan was/is angels and butterflies...yes it will be a FOWLR so no worries there.
not sure If I am going to buy QTed fish or try qting myself or just do management. ( i do have copper and a hanna tester worst case.)

2nd guessing myself on the butterflies even the "easy ones"

so once again I am back to one of my favorite fish. the emperor angel. this tank is right on the line for me size wise.
but a classic 220 is only higher while my is wider witch I think is more usable space anyway...

I hope to have 5 dwarf angels
flame
CB
lemon peel
red strip
bicolor
all introduced at the same time.

in a perfect world the regal angel is on the list too. so I am just getting to greedy with angels here. lol

I am still in the idea stage of stocking list.
so would the dwarfs and larger angels get on?
what about the regal and emp.?

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
been dragging my feet on this build. but I need to get serious about it now. tied of having an empty tank in the house for months now...haha

tank is a 200 gallon peninsula 70x30x22 with a 75 gallon sump. i'll run UV, Ozone, skimmer and ATS for filtration.

my original plan was/is angels and butterflies...yes it will be a FOWLR so no worries there.
not sure If I am going to buy QTed fish or try qting myself or just do management. ( i do have copper and a hanna tester worst case.)

2nd guessing myself on the butterflies even the "easy ones"

so one again I am back to one of my favorite fish. the emperor angel. this tank is right on the line for me size wise.
but a classic 220 is only higher while my is wider witch I think is more usable space anyway...

I hope to have 5 dwarf angels
flame
CB
lemon peel
red strip
bicolor
all introduced at the same time.

in a perfect world the regal angel is on the list too. so I am just getting to greedy with angels here. lol

I am still in the idea stage of stocking list.
so would the dwarfs and larger angels get on?
what about the regal and emp.?
Yes

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do both for sure my emp in my standard dimension 210 is perfectly happy. Although I only have one dwarf angel with him, but a couple other tangs and big fish with it.

oh this is exciting! i would like to get a juvi. and watch it change into adult.
my thought on the 5 dwarf angels is to spread out aggression.

would the regal need to go in 1st?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
oh this is exciting! i would like to get a juvi. and watch it change into adult.
my thought on the 5 dwarf angels is to spread out aggression.

would the regal need to go in 1st?
regal angels are extremely (or can be) difficult - My opinion on multiple angels is it could eventually be a recipe for problems

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so you would skip the regal and go for the dwarfs and the emp. then?
You have a large tank - there is no opinion here thats going to be 'right' - given the fact that individual fish can behave differently. I was answering that you can add an Emperator angel to your tank. As to whether other angels will 'get along' - no clue. The Emperor angel as I'm sure you're aware - is not a dwarf angel. I have had a flame angel and a navarchus angel in the same tank with no issues. I had a lemon peel angel that ate every coral and attacked every other fish. I know this seems wishy-washy - but its my answer:)

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a large tank - there is no opinion here thats going to be 'right' - given the fact that individual fish can behave differently. I was answering that you can add an Emperator angel to your tank. As to whether other angels will 'get along' - no clue. The Emperor angel as I'm sure you're aware - is not a dwarf angel. I have had a flame angel and a navarchus angel in the same tank with no issues. I had a lemon peel angel that ate every coral and attacked every other fish. I know this seems wishy-washy - but its my answer:)

yup just trying to get an general idea. I have read a few threads about mixing angels. you are right one never knows..

the trick I *think* from reading others success with dwarfs is introducing at same time and the more you have seems to equal success.

now with the larger angels not sure if I want to risk it with adding both or not.
just from the fish looks its such a hard choose bit I am leaning towards the emp. just out of hardyness.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that was my concern too. I think i could easily get may years but once over 12" i'll have to rehome or upgrade the tank.

anyone else feel the same?
I would be very surprised if it got to over 12". That would be about 80% of max reported length for the species.

I think an emperor will be fine long term in a 70x30" tank. I would have it as the only large angel.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you would skip the regal and go for the dwarfs and the emp. then?
Honestly I love my regal! Im with you emp angels are the reason I wanted a saltwater tank! But my regal angel boy she is just stunning. The center of attention in my tank, everyone who sees it is always drawn to her. I added her first then a month ago a juvenile french angel. I say if you do a regal get one first and let it become established first then add your dwarfs and the emp. I got my regal from WWC and she came fat and healthy. Took her 3 days in QT to eat frozen food. Then when she was eating it like crazy I moved her to the display. They are so worth the effort. This is her this morning. Stunning fish!!

Attachments

• IMG_3471.jpeg
    IMG_3471.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ nice fish guys!!
Man I love both fish so much. 200 was the largest I could go for a col reasons one being it’s above a basement.
The floor is reinforced. But theorize for the complete 200 was so hard to beat about 60% less than a 300.

All that said I do wish I went with a 96”x 36x24 or better yet 96x48x24!
That would have been a very hard sale tho. So I’ll be grateful to have a 200/275 :)

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0998.jpeg
I’ve had mine 5 years now got as a juvenile maybe 3” he’s probably a little over 6” now so you have time
How long did it take for yours to start turning adult colors? We have had ours for 1.5 years, it's a good 5+ inches and still juvenile colors. The top rear of it's dorsal fin is starting to fade out however, so hope is that it won't be long till we see the change.

Except for two diamond gobies in a QT tank that will go to the DT next month, we are all angels. Imperator, xanthurus, cb, eibli, half black(these two are paired) no issues as long as everyone is fed. The imperator gets grumpy if the nori sheets don't show up on time.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow only 3" in 5 years? that's good to know!
seems like others have grown faster?
I personally believe most people overestimate the size of their fish. Put an index card on your tank and take a picture when they cross and you get a pretty accurate sizing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back