Reinforcing Aqua Japan 180 stand

|FATHOM|

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I have a Aqua Japan 180. I have not set it up yet. It is currently sitting empty.

The thing that is in the back of my mind is the stand. I know people use the stand as is but for some reason, I feel uneasy about it being able to support the weight of the tank. It is made of MDF and has no center brace in the front. I do like the look of it and would hate for it to go to waste if I can reinforce it. Maybe I am overthinking it.

My two options are either to build a stand @RocketEngineer style using 2x6's and 2x4's or reinforce the stand it came with.

In your opinion what would be the best route?

If this was your tank and you recommend reinforcing, how would you reinforce it?

I appreciate the insight and advice.

I borrowed these pictures from the forum. Same stand.

8C11C40C-91AB-414B-82F1-FD4B66560EF5.jpeg.jpg Screenshot_20231008_120435_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20231008_120528_Samsung Internet.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as I have a Red Sea 750XXL and stand fatigue with the marine plywood (not MDF) construction led to several tank failures before they started reinforcing it, yeah - I'd look at reinforcing it in the center.

OP
OP
|FATHOM|

|FATHOM|

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Blaxsun. In your opinion would a 2x4 right in the front and center suffice?

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend using a 2x6 in each corner and in the middle for support at least since their 180g is euro braced (heavier than a regular 180)

If there's room then I would do a few cross braces (if the stand is mdf and not ply) along with an interior top perimeter brace to handle any potential sag over time due to humidity as well.

OP
OP
|FATHOM|

|FATHOM|

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend using a 2x6 in each corner and in the middle for support at least since their 180g is euro braced (heavier than a regular 180)

If there's room then I would do a few cross braces (if the stand is mdf and not ply) along with an interior top perimeter brace to handle any potential sag over time due to humidity as well.
Thank you

If I am understanding this correctly it would be the notes on the picture below. Is thatbwhat you ment?

If I did that I believe I would do a perimeter brace on the bottom even if it's just 2x4 to distribute the weight of the 2x6 supports. What do you think?

Attachments

• 8C11C40C-91AB-414B-82F1-FD4B66560EF5.jpeg.jpg
    8C11C40C-91AB-414B-82F1-FD4B66560EF5.jpeg.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 57

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottommost blue+red+yellow aren't needed depending on how everything in the stand is fastened together originally but it certainly wouldn't hurt (if you water proof it then it can double as flood prevention). 2x6 would not be necessary for that since the main sag prevention location would be where the stand meets the tank.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to add support, I'd use extruded aluminum from 80/20 or another vendor. You may just need one in the center. Much thinner profiles and would look nicer than 2x material.

OP
OP
|FATHOM|

|FATHOM|

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
The bottommost blue+red+yellow aren't needed depending on how everything in the stand is fastened together originally but it certainly wouldn't hurt (if you water proof it then it can double as flood prevention). 2x6 would not be necessary for that since the main sag prevention location would be where the stand meets the tank.
That makes sense thank you. I'm thinking if I go this route I would definitely do the bottom 2x4. The bottom plank of mdf has little feet underneath it. One in each corner and two in the middle on opposite ends front and back. I think the bottom perimeter would better distribute the weight just in case the supports don't line up with the feet

OP
OP
|FATHOM|

|FATHOM|

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank
If you're going to add support, I'd use extruded aluminum from 80/20 or another vendor. You may just need one in the center. Much thinner profiles and would look nicer than 2x material.
Thank You I will check 80/20 out. They do custom work? I had not thought about metal.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be a center brace included. It's what the inside doors attach to. It wouldn't hurt to brace the 4 corners and another underneath the top too.

OP
OP
|FATHOM|

|FATHOM|

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be a center brace included. It's what the inside doors attach to. It wouldn't hurt to brace the 4 corners and another underneath the top too.
You're absolutely correct! I had it all wrapped up and was only going off of the pictures online. I just went opened it up and there is in fact a center brace there.

I think I will definitely still brace the corners and top.

Thank you Aquavaj. Do you have the same stand?

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank

Thank You I will check 80/20 out. They do custom work? I had not thought about metal.
You have to design what you want and they will cut the profiles and provide connectors for mounting. As an example, this is what I installed on my stand made of 3/4 marine grade mahogany ply for my 80 gallon display. Its 2 pieces and removable in case I need to break down the tank and remove the sump.

1696859585190.png

OP
OP
|FATHOM|

|FATHOM|

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to design what you want and they will cut the profiles and provide connectors for mounting. As an example, this is what I installed on my stand made of 3/4 marine grade mahogany ply for my 80 gallon display. Its 2 pieces and removable in case I need to break down the tank and remove the sump.

1696859585190.png
That looks really clean thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back