Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ED5445EE-8469-4D2C-B5DC-08AFB19260A9.jpeg
D1FFB051-374E-4CB4-81CC-BD9C88FCFE3C.jpeg
A573D472-8DF9-42C8-B9C8-FF52CF6DFFF6.jpeg
4616F891-89B3-4E72-A87F-C0AFD76C599A.jpeg
E4C8CD73-CA09-452C-A739-CC2AF1BF686A.jpeg
I finally got the nerve to remove it. I had a 10 gallon diy sump and it just wasn’t cutting it for my 65 gallon. But that stupid center brace was in the way. (I know I should’ve could’ve done it before adding water), but there I was. After looking in the forum I saw a few members with the same issue so I went for it. First off, as usual I made it worse than it was in my mind. It’s easy. It’s not weight bearing and it’s attached with staples. Just gently pry the bottom first and then gently twist the top one. Resist the urge to use a hammer. Just take your time. I put the brace back on because it does serve the function of keeping the doors in place. So there you go, if you were impatient and used what you had to make a sump, you can correct your mistake. Hope this helps someone else. Again, this was an Aqueon stand, solid wood, standard from the store.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I could be that brave to do that. Thank you for sharing your experience.

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would've done something to stiffen up the front rail. Those factory stands are so underbuilt I wouldn't trust it.

OP
OP
uhgster1

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you didn't reinforce the stand at all before removing it?
Not at all. There wasn’t a hint of bowing creaking nothing. The center brace is purely there to keep the doors in place. It was held with staples. Not even a hint of glue. I believe the weight of the tank is supported entirely by the corners and side boards. There is an internal brace inside the stand that looks like the center support for the stand. It sits about three inches below the tank itself so it also does not bear any weight.

Budget reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on doing the same thing this week I have a 40 gallon breeder on a aqueon pine stand. Going to remove the center peice. How did you re attach the center peice after you were done? I want to be able to remove it easily again if I need to so any work on the sump in the future.

OP
OP
uhgster1

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on doing the same thing this week I have a 40 gallon breeder on a aqueon pine stand. Going to remove the center peice. How did you re attach the center peice after you were done? I want to be able to remove it easily again if I need to so any work on the sump in the future.
I just tapped it back in place. I didn’t remove the staples when I took it out so I just put it back in the original holes. You have the exact same stand I do. The 65 and 40 gallons have the same footprint and use the same stand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back