Status
Not open for further replies.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To be honest, I almost did it last night...
Used a :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: emoji to be sarcastic.
Someone posted something that was so left field, and it was wrong on so many accounts.
But I knew, in their heart they believed in their answer.
The :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: would have been the only way this person might have taken stock of what they said was wrong.
Kinda like when one tells you they were abducted by aliens...
The only thing you can do is laugh in their face.
The :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: emoji is a way to tell one they are so wrong without having to go into obvious details.
But I held back...
And now this reefer will be the pied piper of misinformation to other reefers. I might of been able to stop it in it's tracks with a little :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I really wish instead of using :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: in the likes we could use :thinking-face:...
Yes... let us put a pin in that and think about that answer for a while...
We need a cow chewing on cud emoji...
That, there would be a fine solution to all our problems...

Or…..you could respond to them with a post that respectfully tells them they are wrong and if they don’t accept it, move on.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The thing is this.

If you’re not trolling someone then you’ll be ok. This isn’t for you. This is for those that have been abusing the emojis and using them as a tool to bully others. Plain and simple.

Thank you,

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel so bad for all of you moderators. The fact that you have to deal with adults acting like kids is bizarre. You shouldn't have to deal with it anymore. I truly appreciate all the work you put in to keep this a friendly place.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel so bad for all of you moderators. The fact that you have to deal with adults acting like kids is bizarre. You shouldn't have to deal with it anymore. I truly appreciate all the work you put in to keep this a friendly place.
Thank you! There are soooooo many amazing members here like yourself. This is definitely not the normal with most of our community. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m getting old but being easily offended can and is used as a “control mechanism” (not always but sometimes)

Anyway, the emojis are limited and god help us if we have access to a “thumbs down” emoji (or has its time come)?

I can assure you this is not the case. This is certain people who have abused for years now and we’re done with it. No victims, no soft people, no easily offended, just people sick of being trolled and us staff sick of watching it happen. Sad we have to put a rule in place for literally everything. Sigh…

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, just wow, I just can’t believe that some people are so soft that they would reach out to a mod and report somebody for using a laughing emoji
yeah I was also thinking along those lines, see prev comment
So we don't have a way to "block" a member. You can "ignore" members so you don't see their comments, but that doesn't help if someone is trolling with emoji reactions.

The plan would definitely be to warn someone before action is taken (we try to do that with most rules). We're definitely not trying to stop anyone from having fun, and hopefully this isn't something that is an issue that continues to be a problem. Hopefully, this thread is enough notice for most of this issue to resolve itself.

Related: the “ignor” function is kinda “generational” us old folks have super powers to ignor dummies w/o a “button” …sometimes toggle switches work better than touch screens
Did not know that. I thought if you ignored “blocked” they couldn’t see you or your posts….weird!
@Troylee man that explains why I blocked you years ago and you keep coming back :D :zany-face: :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: ( TBH I probably should follow you) :star-struck:
Nope. And people you've "ignored" can still follow you so they see all your posts. That's really annoying!
I dunno, personally I’ve NEVER used the “ignor” function, idiots are way more amusing than you think
(heck can even 1/2 of you folks even see this?) lol

Reefer Matt

YouTube Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(This is not meant as a critique, just offering my opinion).

The staff are too kind sometimes. I know it’s hard to be everywhere at once. I have done my share of being an admin elsewhere, and know that having a supporting community is vital to its success. However, there comes a time when those that violate the community rules, and make things miserable for others, should be removed from the community and not welcome back. Sometimes that is the only message they understand.

When fun things are taken away from the whole community in order to protect it, it punishes the whole group, rather than the offenders. (Not that it has happened in this case). I believe in this community, and know that it will continue to thrive regardless. But it’s up to all of us to do our part to ensure that happens. Thank you to the staff for all you do for this community!

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t think we should assume every user here actually IS an adult. I’ve seen posts from teenagers here getting started in the hobby (and plenty of college level). Carryover behaviors from less friendly social media sites is bound to happen. I like the reminder and the mods extra stick to use to curb unproductive discussion.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheech Marin Responsibility GIF

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think we should assume every user here actually IS an adult. I’ve seen posts from teenagers here getting started in the hobby (and plenty of college level). Carryover behaviors from less friendly social media sites is bound to happen. I like the reminder and the mods extra stick to use to curb unproductive discussion.
that is a spot on point! you can’t always assume a adult on the other end of a post …
and I can’t tell you how funny I’ve felt after posting a “adult” reply to a minor ….
this should be a point of emphasis

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can assure you this is not the case. This is certain people who have abused for years now and we’re done with it. No victims, no soft people, no easily offended, just people sick of being trolled and us staff sick of watching it happen. Sad we have to put a rule in place for literally everything. Sigh…
I sorry you and the staff have to deal with these types of concerns but it does not go unappreciated.
I think the entire world could use refresher course on The Golden Rule.

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be a "troll" button. And if so many people click it, that person gets blocked from thread
Nice idea, but that would get abused as well. Mine was an obvious troll, misplaced with intention. But what if someone decides to challenge a thread with a new idea or an idea not really agreed upon...are people going to label that a troll?

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is a goofy rule to even have, but I get it. However, if you have control of emoji use/access and there are only a small group of people abusing it, why not just remove it for the limited group of people and be done with it?

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just delete it and replace with five new neutral emojis. This wasn’t worth the drama this thread generated. No offense, but it’s a bad look.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did not know that. I thought if you ignored “blocked” they couldn’t see you or your posts….weird!

As a connoisseur of the Ignore button myself, they can still see your posts and even react to them but you can’t see theirs without clicking an extra button.

It is quite fantastic actually. Ignoring the riff raff

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a connoisseur of the Ignore button myself, they can still see your posts and even react to them but you can’t see theirs without clicking an extra button.

It is quite fantastic actually. Ignoring the riff raff
Let’s be honest we still click “show ignored content” to see what everyone is arguing about!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back