removing mushroom corals

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is overly successful in growing mushroom corals and some are now overgrowing and smothering my zoas and
other corals and even a feather duster. How can I "encourage" them to move or relocate to another area.
(The feather duster had moved halfway across the tank and "jammed" itself between 2 rocks.) The mushrooms have even moved over my GSP's!

Thanks, Mike

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey !
You could use a scalpel to cut off the coral at the foot (as mentioned above) and then place it in an acclimation box w/ low flow+coarse aragonite/rock/sand for a few weeks until they grow a new foot. The foot left behind should be scraped off or they'll grow back. Then you could sell the coral, find a new place in you'r tank or ask you'r LFS about bringing the coral in for store credits, possibly swapping for a new kind of coral.
That would be the best, besides there isn't anything else, except changing the flow which would be messy and may not work at all.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do oyu have pics or names? EDIT sorry I see oyu are asking how to move them. Someone said torch. I have the same problem with some carzy fast growing green palys and mohicans, yellow palys with blue lashes . Will torch smother them out or how do I get rid of them? I tried peeling off rock but they release gooey stuff so don t know if thats a dangerous toxin!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back