Removing rock and saving critters

mje113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, yet another relatively new Eco 13.5 owner here. The tank has been running for over a month with 15lb of KP Aquatics "wet rock". I probably should have chosen their 10lb option as I wanted a relatively open aqua scape, but decided to use it all since I didn't want to waste what I'd paid for.

But now objectively I hate the aqua scape. It's really tight in there and I haven't even added corals. There's one big sucker that will be really easy to remove without disturbing the rest and I'm planning on plucking it out this weekend. Two major questions I have:

1. Should I be concerned about any ammonia / trate swings? I have more bio material I could add to the fuge to counteract if that's a real concern.
2. I'm fine with losing most of the hitchhiker's (I have so many brittle stars), but there's a good chance that one or more of my emerald crabs might be in it. I was considering possibly doing a dip to try to dislodge what I can to keep what I want. But I've seen high salinity and low salinity and I don't know which would be more appropriate if I want to keep the critters. Any advice here?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, yet another relatively new Eco 13.5 owner here. The tank has been running for over a month with 15lb of KP Aquatics "wet rock". I probably should have chosen their 10lb option as I wanted a relatively open aqua scape, but decided to use it all since I didn't want to waste what I'd paid for.

But now objectively I hate the aqua scape. It's really tight in there and I haven't even added corals. There's one big sucker that will be really easy to remove without disturbing the rest and I'm planning on plucking it out this weekend. Two major questions I have:

1. Should I be concerned about any ammonia / trate swings? I have more bio material I could add to the fuge to counteract if that's a real concern.
2. I'm fine with losing most of the hitchhiker's (I have so many brittle stars), but there's a good chance that one or more of my emerald crabs might be in it. I was considering possibly doing a dip to try to dislodge what I can to keep what I want. But I've seen high salinity and low salinity and I don't know which would be more appropriate if I want to keep the critters. Any advice here?
It should not cause an ammonia problem - do you have fish?
Second - you can always try putting the rock in a bucket and see if anything crawls out. I would not necessarily do a hypo or hyper salinity dip. Hope this helps

OP
OP
mje113

mje113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 2 clowns. I can be prepped and ready for a water change if needed.

you just mean a dry bucket?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, 2 clowns. I can be prepped and ready for a water change if needed.

you just mean a dry bucket?
I meant a bucket with saltwater - you can just put some food in the bucket - and the 'inverts' should come out to get it.

OP
OP
mje113

mje113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so rock is in the salt water bucket, with a pump and a heater. Sure enough my emerald crab is on it munching away. Anytime I go anywhere near it it's gone in a flash.
Any ideas on how to get it out?

OP
OP
mje113

mje113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, after a couple days with nothing coming off the rock, I pulled the rock and tried to pry the emerald crab off the rock physically, to no avail. Dang that guy had a tight grip. In a last-ditch effort I increased the salinity to 1.035 and put the rock back in for a few minutes. Pulled the rock again and just really went to town on dislodging the crab and I finally got him! I also had a really small pistol shrimp abandon ship as well!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back