Renee's Nano Pred Tankmates

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently stocking my 210g and am looking for a lot of fish that resided in my old 100g and a few other scattered tanks. These are all "Nano Preds" that can live in smaller tanks. I thought I would introduce some of them.

This guy was one of my favorites

Choridactylus multibarbus
(Bearded Ghoul, Orange-banded Stingfish)
multibarbusquickstats.jpg

Maximum Size: 5"SL
Habitat: Demersal. Soft substrate around reefs.
Diet: Moderately difficult to convert to frozen. Very slow to eat at times.
Degree of Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Minimum Tank Size: 25 gallons.
Special Considerations: Highly Venomous. Shares traits with the Stonefish.​

L
ike other stingfish, the ghoul has developed specialized, separated anterior pectoral rays that are independent of the rest of the pectorals (this fish has 3 on each side). They do not swim well, but can if needed. They raise up and move along with their dactyls (fingers) combing through the substrate for worms, shrimp etc. (see video below for a visual of this odd movement). Another feature, are they have beautiful flash colors on the back of their pectorals. They have been coined the Bearded Ghoul, due to the ever present chin "hairs" which are called dermal tassels.

These fish are very mellow and easily spooked. Although they would make a great tankmate in terms of their own disposition, they often can be harassed by other fish as well as outcompeted for food. We recommend a species only tank, as this fish is much coveted in the hobby. If you find one, give it the best chance at survival. If you are willing to risk it with other fish, choose mild mannered, non-grazing tankmates. Their mouth is surprisingly big, so tankmates should be larger than the diameter of his head.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Scorpaeniformes
Family: Synanceiinae
Genus Choridactylus
Species: multibarbus

Sorry, I can't figure out how to remove the music from the video.

gallerymultibarbus1.jpg

gallerymultibarbus2.jpg

gallerymultibarbus3.jpg

gallerymultibarbus4.jpg

gallerymultibarbus13.jpg

gallerymultibarbus14.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be looking for another one of these....

Sebastapistes cyanostigma
(Yellow-Spotted Scorpionfish)
cyanostigmaquickstats.jpg

Maximum Size: 3" TL
Habitat: Occurs on reefs with rich SPS growth, as this species typically inhabits the branches of Pocillopora, Millepora, and Styllophora coral heads.
Diet: Medium difficulty level to convert to frozen
Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons.
Special Considerations: Venomous.
These are certainly one of the “gems” in terms of appearance, sporting a red to deep pink body and bright yellow spots. Unfortunately, it can also be a bit on the reclusive side, often preferring to take up residence in live SPS colonies or SPS skeletons, although they may also feel comfortable with a rubble-strewn substrate. Our specimen is not overly shy, and took readily to stick feeding. These diminutive scorps are best started on live ghost shrimp to get them to feed initially (it would not take guppies unless they swam down in front of it). Not super common, but well worth keeping if you can find one.

Family: Scorpaenidae
Subfamily: Scorpaeninae
Genus Sebastapistes
Species: cyanostigma

Doug (rayn) just bought one of these beauties. Yellow spot scorpionfish

gallerycyanostigma1.jpg

gallerycyanostigma3.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful fish!

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's too bad that one was so grumpy. He matched the coralline so well. It was this fish and the first Rhinopias frondosa that really took my breath away.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scorpaenodes littoralis
(Barchin Scorpionfish)
littoralisquickstats.jpg

Maximum Size: 4.5” TL
Habitat: Loves overhangs and caves. Will often swim upside down under/in them.
Diet: Readily takes to frozen.
Degree of Difficulty: Low maintenance.
Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons.
Special Considerations: Venomous.
A very pretty fish, they are typically mottled shades of red, with a dark “cheek spot” at the lower edge of the operculum, as well as light bars on its lips and chin. Our specimen had shades of red with pink markings. This fish is fond of caves and overhangs, and you will often find it upside down on the ceilings of these areas as well as upside down in lush growths of macroalgae. They are bold, yet can be a bit cryptic until they get adjusted. This was one of the quickest scorps we've kept, and our specimen zipped out and struck its food almost before you realized it was coming.

Family: Scorpaenidae
Subfamily: Scorpaeninae
Genus: Scorpaenodes
Species: littoralis

gallerylittoralis5.jpg

gallerylittoralis1.jpg

gallerylittoralis2.jpg

Last edited:

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's too bad that one was so grumpy. He matched the coralline so well. It was this fish and the first Rhinopias frondosa that really took my breath away.

I shared his picture and the video from your site the first time I saw him. I was totally fascinated, and I am pretty sure that my friend who wanted to do her first saltwater set up is now going to do a predator tank as a direct result of this guy and the waspfish. :D

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shared his picture and the video from your site the first time I saw him. I was totally fascinated, and I am pretty sure that my friend who wanted to do her first saltwater set up is now going to do a predator tank as a direct result of this guy and the waspfish. :D

Start searching now! I've been looking for a ghoul for almost two years now. Been on DD email alerts for longer.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember back when I first started reefs, before I truly got into predators. I got the occasional lion. At the time I didn't know better, but my lfs has a ghoul in and I thought it just looked cool. Bought it. Took it home. Watched it waste away cause it never swam and ate. :(. Sad, cause even then I thought they were cool. Never got a ID and it wasn't till later I realized what I had.

Now that I have met like minded pred folks, I've learned a lot and know what I can and should do to help them thrive. It's cool to see others come on board and learn and go down this route. It isn't for everyone that is for sure, but if you give it a chance you have a tank like no other.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hunt for "that" special specimen is also half of it. A clown fish looks like a clown fish looks like a clown fish. These fish can look so different from one another. There was a big different between the Ghoul above and the second or third one I bought. The rest, albeit very cool, where not THAT specimen. This thing glowed. Laymen would always stop at this tank and the volitans.

Having been out of the collection phase for a bit, it feels good to be back at it. I now have everything set up for unplanned purchases and sick fish once again. This last month was physically hard and if I'm going to stay in the game, I have to find easy fixes for the road blocks.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now is our time, Doug.... now is our time.

I'm not going to have tons of tanks filled with all sorts of cool things like before.... I just need a rocking 210g mini pred coral tank.... and a stone fish.... and for the frondosa to keep on living happily in the current 28g. That's it.

And an Orange Spotted Filefish/mandy tank in my office..... but that's it, that's all I need.

I sound like Steve Martin.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One starts two starts three... Before you know it back to 13!

You still have a frondy?! Pics please! DD has one, but the price.

I'm good with my two main tanks. It's all the other QT tanks that pop up to be ready for the sxorps that come along.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the same guy I've had for almost 2 years now.

He came flying out of the tank a couple of months back and landed on my houseguests back! I ran up stairs and he was just kind of looking up at me like 'Wha?".

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back