Renee's Nano Pred Tankmates

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you haven't added them yet and will probably be doing a write up, but where do the Radiata Lionfish, Sphex Lionfish, and Fu Manchu Lionfish fall on the spectrum of easy to difficult? Are those all considered nano sized as well?

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fu would be perfect in a nano. The Sphex and Radiata are not. The only issue with a Fu, is they can be difficult to convert.

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, last questions about the cube that we are all going to pretend I am not getting.

If I was to add a lionfish, a waspfish, and a leaf fish, does it matter what order they are added in? In other words, is one of these more territorial?

Also would two lionfish work (fuzzy and fu manchu) with a leaf fish or cockatoo, or is it better to stick with two bottom dwellers and one lion?

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, last questions about the cube that we are all going to pretend I am not getting.

LOL!

All the lions and scorps typically get along. You'll have zero issues with a Fu and a Fuzzy. They are honestly the sweetest fish to each other. The only time there are issues, is when there are two males of the same species or 2 males of a similar looking species. I had a Green hawaiian that was constantly "at" the Mombasae. They are identical in shape, with the barberi being a little smaller, at that point. I'm not sure what happened, but one day it just stopped. I'm thinking there must have been a bit of a tussle or the Mombasae finally tuned around and said "ENOUGH!". Whatever it was, the barberi stopped the harassment. Problem is, I don't know if they were males, so I could have totally come to the wrong hypothesis. I'm drawing in conclusions from other scenarios, where the critters were sexable. That's all we can do, really.

You may read that fuzzies are sexable. Don't believe it, if your are looking for accuracy. I found the original study that information is based on and I'm very disappointed. I went looking for the 411, when I found the information floating around was inaccurate in enough circumstances to become suspicious.

I had a male Red fin waspfish that was a bit of a butt to his much smaller chick. I had a leaf fish that put his mouth on the face of a fuzzy. He wasn't trying to eat him, but was ticked off at him. When my male and female Fuzzy started breeding, they were very territorial. I wouldn't put a pair together in a community tank again, as their breeding upset the whole dynamics of the tank. I think that was the first step in that tank's demise.

Those are the only 4 times I had any issue with any of these fish. I never worry about temperament as they are all peaceful. If you can't sex "whatever", it's best to only get one of that species.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a 29g Coralife Biocube and 12g Nano Cube Next Generation LED (which is being set up tonight for my new babies ... ugh:rolleyes:)

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One fish you'll see on Diver's Den a lot, are Coral Croachers. These are crazy hiders and are small. I really wouldn't recommend them. You can tell when DD gets SPS in.... that's where the Coral Croachers hide. I'm sure they find them after they've removed the colony, as they can really wedge themselves up in there.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convert them to saltwater mollies :)
They are already saltwater Mollies. The mommy is a beautiful white Molly in my tank now!
I am going to leave the babies as saltwater until they are bigger and then re-acclimate back to fresh water, then that 14g will be my QT.
I would use the 29g for the pred tank.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pteroidicthys amboinensis
(Ambon Scorpionfish, Ambon Lionfish)
amboinensisquickstats.jpg

Maximum Size: 4 - 4.5" TL
Habitat: Demersal.
Diet:Very difficult to convert to frozen.
Degree of Difficulty: Moderate due to diet requirements
Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons for one or two specimens. 20 gallons for a trio.
Special Considerations: Venomous.
A rare gem, indeed, but fabulous little fish. Their appearance can be variable, depending on their habitat. Some appear “shaggy”, with almost hairlike dermal appendages covering their bodies, while others are almost smooth. Some have antler-like supraorbital appendages that remind you of reindeer, while others do not. This fish is actually very similar in shape to fish from genus Rhinopias, but in a smaller package. They are mild-mannered and entertaining fish that will soon know who the “food god” is and will come crutching over on their lacy pectorals, ready for a meal. On the subject of food, these fish do not wean easily to frozen, and may need to be offered live ghost shrimp and guppies for life. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, these fish typically don’t survive long in captivity, and a specimen that seems to be thriving and is eating well will often simply be found dead after a few months. Hopefully, someday, whatever is “missing” in their care will be understood, and they will become easier to keep. I believe it to be related to diet, for when you convert them they tend to live much longer.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Scorpaeniformes
Family: Scorpaenidae
Subfamily: Scorpaeninae
Genus Pteroidichthys
Species: amboinensis

galleryamboinensis2.jpg

They're both trying to get my attention.
galleryamboinensis5.jpg

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! I too am going to have to unsubscribe too!!!!:confused:

This picture just made me go 'awwwwwwwwwww' ... look at that face and expression! He is sooooo darn cute!!!:)

Capture.JPG

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had any will power I would not have 5 tanks currently set up(plus 3 dragons, a snake, dog and KID) and now with raising my baby mollies I will be setting up a 6th because I will have to keep a couple!
The hubby was like NO NO NO! I told him ... I be (you know) if I raise these babies and just give them away, I have been getting up every 2 hours checking them for almost 3 days now!
Last night night I went to the 'Fish BF' house to pick up water and some biospsheres to get a temp tank setup for the babies because the 1g they are in isn't going to hold them much longer.

Well I was gone longer than I expected, this is what he txt me ....

IMG_3096.PNG

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%

Back