Ressurecting the refugium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all of the crazy new trends, hot gear, and even hubris, surrounding some of the new "methodologies" swirling around the hobby lately, it seems as though some of the things that were super influential and darned near state of the art are sort of dated and...well, charming. Just fallen by the wayside on the quest for the "next big thing"...Or so it seems...

Case in point, the application of a refugium in your system.

refugium1.jpg

"Old school", or state of the art..and does it matter? It just works.

It seemed like there was a time not all that long ago, when the idea of a ‘fuge was bleeding-edge hot; you were totally in the cool kids camp if you had one on your reef system. Well, that was in 2002. Then, interestingly, there seems to have been a bit of a gradual cooling in the refugium love affair during the last decade. Suddenly, you hear very little about them, as the benefits seem to have been lost in the quest for something sexier, cooler, and more aggressive…stuff like “Ultra Low Nutrient” systems (yeah, you're hearing me vomit when I hear that term), “Reduced Ecology Reefing”, etc. seemed to have made the idea of a refugium an outmoded one.

In today's tech-driven, twitter-fed, forum-fueled, trend-enabled hobby environment, is there still merit to ideas that, although seemingly "outmoded", never really were bad in the first place?

Of course, and the refugium is just one of those things...

Granted, the benefits of a refugium are things like extra nutrient export, bodiversity, additional water volume, and, to a lesser extent, the supplemental production of food for your reef system, all of which can be conducted with lots of gadgets and sexier, more expensive equipment. However, it seems kind of, well- arrogant on the part of **** sapiens that we can "out hustle" nature, and do a better job than she can in this area by using gadgets and stuff. The fact is, you're far better off, in most circumstances, letting nature do what she's done well for millions of years, and "take" the benefits being offered. Regardless, it seems that the perceived benefits are of lesser interest to many reefers than the far more sexy and aggressive philosophies/techniques above.

dsc_0032.jpg

The coral diversity in here benefits directly from the biodiversity and nutrient processing "in there..."

"Ohmigod, Fellman is going into one of those rants, yearning for a gentler, kinder hobby again..." No, not really..I'm just trying to point out that the concept of a refugium is not only still valid, but every bit as useful and cutting edge cool as it was when the concept first blossomed in the hobby years ago!

Is the refugium an archaic concept, destined to fall by the wayside as did the plenum?

Nah, I think not. The refugium seems to have more relevance than ever.

A refugium gives today’s “minimalist” reefer who likes limited biodiversity in his display aquarium the ability to have a tremendous, if not unseen- “supporting cast” of macro and micro life forms, including plants/macroalgae, crustaceans, worms, etc., all of which literally enrich the closed aquarium system with numerous benefits. Sure, detractors might make the suggestion that the extra biodiversity is really "bioload", or detracts from the prime focus of a reef aquarium for many people, that being to grow coral. I beg to differ, because production of natural food sources, nutrient processing, and biodiversity create a more "natural" system, less susceptible to the potential failings of near sterile, technology-driven systems with little "backup", and, in my opinion, reduce reliance on technological "props" and potential failure points.

images.jpeg

How can you argue with the benefits of steady production of supplemental natural foods?

plumb_it.jpg

Ask my man, Melev to design a "fugue into your next sump.

I remember the most common benefit being attributed to the refugium a few years back was the ability to apply wickedly obscene water movement in the display aquarium, which ran bare bottom, without sand flying all over, while being able to take advantage of the benefits of a sandbed in the system. I think that this and many other benefits are still there, and quite applicable. In fact, the refugium is more relevant than ever as we approach the dawn of another revolutionary approach to reef keeping, the “Triton Method”, which, as we will hear much more about in coming months, espouses detailed understanding of the chemical composition of your water, and supplementing trace elements as your systems' needs dictate, to avoid adding vague amounts of random additives without cause. The method tends to favor more minimal water changes, in favor of very effective nutrient export and tightly targeted trace element replenishment. The "test, then tweak" approach on a whole different level. Much more to it than that, but very, very cutting edge, yet undeniably simple. And the underlying simple benefits of a refugium will become more apparent than ever. I think we’ll see the interest in the refugium surge to the forefront yet again.

Screen-Shot-2013-01-29-at-8.36.02-AM1-620x311.jpg

You'll be seeing a lot more of this in the coming months, believe me. Fabulous reefs, utilizing some new approaches, supported by productive refugia.

The real beauty of the refugium, in my opinion, besides the obvious benefits, like supplemental food production- is that it simply embraces natural processes, and reduces reliance on potentially failure-prone technology and minimizes the shortfalls of some of the more aggressive approaches to aquarium husbandry. Of course, being virtually a separate aquarium in and of itself, the refugium offers yet another advantage to an aquarium it supports- additional water volume for the system . And, as we know, greater water volume translates into greater overall stability in a well-managed system.

In my opinion, this is not just resurrecting an old friend- it's utilizing correct and useful technique to achieve what we all want- a healthy, thriving reef system.

All of this, of course, begs the question...Who is using a refugium, what type of animals does it contain, and do you perceive significant benefits to your reef in its current application?

Food for thought on a Monday.

Stay engaged, stay on top of things..and Stay wet.

Regards,

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

dsc_0032.jpg

refugium1.jpg

plumb_it.jpg

Screen-Shot-2013-01-29-at-8.36.02-AM1-620x311.jpg

images.jpeg

Last edited:

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of the refugium. My current system is a 60 gal display, a 90 gallon 'fuge with three types of macro, tons of rubble and sand and a 75 gallon sump. Pretty much the inverted form of a traditional setup. Tank is still young, but I am feeding my trio of red saddled anthias reef frenzy 3-6 times a day and the system is holding up well (I also employ a huge skimmer).

Igarc009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article, I attribute most of my success to my refugium. I run macro algea and a flood light 24hrs, it's crazy how much algea I grow in two weeks. I find myself throwing away so much algea. Which is crazy because if you look at the display you wouldn't think I could grow any algea. I clean the glass on my display every 5 days and even then there is not much algea to clean.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything the refugium is wonderful source of food for your tank and a sacred place for food to repopulate. I have a lot of nano aquariums in my collection of tanks and the ones that I run fish less and with multiple macros the pod population is insane, and the corals seem to enjoy these large amounts of pods also. I will spy on the tanks at night and almost everynight I see my sun corals, or trumpets with a stray pod about to be devoured. I love the refugium idea and think its very beneficial.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of the refugium. My current system is a 60 gal display, a 90 gallon 'fuge with three types of macro, tons of rubble and sand and a 75 gallon sump. Pretty much the inverted form of a traditional setup. Tank is still young, but I am feeding my trio of red saddled anthias reef frenzy 3-6 times a day and the system is holding up well (I also employ a huge skimmer).

Technology/methodology that truly works. Period.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article, I attribute most of my success to my refugium. I run macro algea and a flood light 24hrs, it's crazy how much algea I grow in two weeks. I find myself throwing away so much algea. Which is crazy because if you look at the display you wouldn't think I could grow any algea. I clean the glass on my display every 5 days and even then there is not much algea to clean.

Excellent point; the algae thing. I've seen that so many times in reef systems, it's amazing.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything the refugium is wonderful source of food for your tank and a sacred place for food to repopulate. I have a lot of nano aquariums in my collection of tanks and the ones that I run fish less and with multiple macros the pod population is insane, and the corals seem to enjoy these large amounts of pods also. I will spy on the tanks at night and almost everynight I see my sun corals, or trumpets with a stray pod about to be devoured. I love the refugium idea and think its very beneficial.

Yeah, I think ti will always have some merit, for sure.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I think it's absolutely PATHETIC that the genus name for our species (i.e.; humans) has become a vulgar term that needs to be deleted.. Riduculous...I hear the call of other websites....

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began in this hobby with expectations of implementing a refugium into my system. Coming from planted tanks and loving the idea that in a planted tank system the plants allow often a very low maintenance system. I love the fact that my planted system in my bedroom rarely gets water changes being heavily planted and having clear water.

But, after reading a very long and informational thread on another forum for reef keeping I was deterred. The concept of refugiums don't exactly add up to me according to information I have read. Often I feel they are more work than people see them as being and often overlook it. I don't doubt they could be of use if implemented properly, just feel that most think they are easier than they are and see them as more of a set up and forget.

I adopted a very simple sump of just skimmer and heaters. The turnover through the sump is equal to that of my Skimmers pump. With a high turnover in my display and low flow through my sump it allows my sump to function as a settling tank. Once every 3-4 days I simply siphon out detritus that settles on the BB sump.

I have been having success with that for a while now. However, the beautiful thing about this hobby is there are many ways to keep a successful tank. Its also not to say I will never end up setting of a refugium, just at this point in time I don't see them fitting my style of keeping a reef.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I get as much enjoyment from my refugium as I do my display tank.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought I'd see the day when a refugium was considered 'outdated'...

I've seen the tech bandwagon before and then the trend back to a more biological solution again and again. I think this will be a continuing cycle as long as people keep reef tanks.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began in this hobby with expectations of implementing a refugium into my system. Coming from planted tanks and loving the idea that in a planted tank system the plants allow often a very low maintenance system. I love the fact that my planted system in my bedroom rarely gets water changes being heavily planted and having clear water.

But, after reading a very long and informational thread on another forum for reef keeping I was deterred. The concept of refugiums don't exactly add up to me according to information I have read. Often I feel they are more work than people see them as being and often overlook it. I don't doubt they could be of use if implemented properly, just feel that most think they are easier than they are and see them as more of a set up and forget.

I adopted a very simple sump of just skimmer and heaters. The turnover through the sump is equal to that of my Skimmers pump. With a high turnover in my display and low flow through my sump it allows my sump to function as a settling tank. Once every 3-4 days I simply siphon out detritus that settles on the BB sump.

I have been having success with that for a while now. However, the beautiful thing about this hobby is there are many ways to keep a successful tank. Its also not to say I will never end up setting of a refugium, just at this point in time I don't see them fitting my style of keeping a reef.

Good points...I think that they CAN be a sort of low attention feature, but "set and forget" options in reef keeping are few and far in between. Whenever you're dealing with things like sand beds, macro algae, and the like, some attention just goes with the territory. In essence, your "settling area" has become a sort of refugium, when you think about it. Micro and microorganisms are probably involved in that matrix of material that accumulates, creating and further enabling food webs, etc. that can benefit your reef display. I do agree that an improperly maintained and set up refugium can be as much of a detriment to the reef as it can be a benefit. The idea is to encourage beneficial processes, not to accumulate waste and other problematic issues that can adversely affect the reef tank. I think many reefers tended to overthink this stuff, and ascribed many problems to refugia, just as problems were erroneously (or unfairly) ascribed to deep sand beds...

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought I'd see the day when a refugium was considered 'outdated'...

I've seen the tech bandwagon before and then the trend back to a more biological solution again and again. I think this will be a continuing cycle as long as people keep reef tanks.

I agree...It's sad that this is the prevailing attitude among many reefers...You hear a lot of talk about this being antiquated thinking; that the new trend is towards scrupulously clean reefs, and that refugia are just a tax on the system, blah, blah, blah. I don't buy that. The "ULNS" theories are, in my humble opinion, over-extending and over generalized, embracing a sort of 1990's hyper-perverted "Berlin School" mentality, where anything other than coral is considered a detriment. No, don't get me wrong, I think that minimum diversity reefing has its merits, and I've experimented successfully with this, but I think the whole frenzy behind the latest "nutrient poor" movement overlooks some other factors that can have positive impacts on closed reef systems. The Triton husbandry methodology is, in my opinion, the most logical and rational of the newer approaches, because it's based on water testing and supplementation only of what your reef requires based on its specific usage. Ironically, accurate dosing is seemingly revolutionary in today's reefing world! Refugia, of course, will always have a key supporting role in a variety of reef systems. IMHO.

-Scott

Last edited:

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the greatest photo, but here is my 10 gallon "upstream display refugium" that is currently plumbed to my sumpless 55g... it has at least 7 different macro algae, 5 different species of snail, and loaded with amphipods, copepods, baby peppermint shrimp, and mini serpent stars! I also have plans to start culturing my own phytoplankton so that I can raise batches of various pods to keep replenishing into the 'fuge, which will in turn help supply an additional source of live food to the display.

Attachments

• IMG_6547.jpg
    IMG_6547.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 926

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree...It's sad that this is the prevailing attitude among many reefers...You hear a lot of talk about this being antiquated thinking; that the new trend is towards scrupulously clean reefs, and that refugia are just a tax on the system, blah, blah, blah. I don't buy that. The "ULNS" theories are, in my humble opinion, over-extending and over generalized, embracing a sort of 1990's hyper-perverted "Berlin School" mentality, where anything other than coral is considered a detriment. No, don't get me wrong, I think that minimum diversity reefing has its merits, and I've experimented successfully with this, but I think the whole frenzy behind the latex "nutrient poor" movement overlooks some other factors that can have positive impacts on closed reef systems. The Triton husbandry methodology is, in my opinion, the most logical and rational of the newer approaches, because it's based on water testing and supplementation only of what your reef requires based on its specific usage. Ironically, accurate dosing is seemingly revolutionary in today's reefing world! Refugia, of course, will always have a key supporting role in a variety of reef systems. IMHO.

-Scott

I've noticed this too. I think refugia have a lot to offer.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the greatest photo, but here is my 10 gallon "upstream display refugium" that is currently plumbed to my sumpless 55g... it has at least 7 different macro algae, 5 different species of snail, and loaded with amphipods, copepods, baby peppermint shrimp, and mini serpent stars! I also have plans to start culturing my own phytoplankton so that I can raise batches of various pods to keep replenishing into the 'fuge, which will in turn help supply an additional source of live food to the display.
That's a great example of a refugium that is as engaging as many reef tank displays!
Nice!

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I think it's absolutely PATHETIC that the genus name for our species (i.e.; humans) has become a vulgar term that needs to be deleted.. Riduculous...I hear the call of other websites....

It's just the automatic filter that says any word or phrase, anything with those four letters in a row, doesn't matter, they are edited. Same with gl*******s overflow kits.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.4%

Back