Ressurecting the refugium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another GREAT article topic Scott. I am a huge proponent of Refugiums in our Reeftanks and IMO has a been a major contributing factor to my success for past 20 years or more. I readily preach the benefits of large (as feasible) high-flow Sump/Refugiums. As you mentioned above so much more natural and stable than any of the tech gadgets we incorporate into our systems. Nutrient export, natural food production, Nursery, added bio-diversity and low tech.... what's not to like.
My 'Fuge' design for the 125g is a 36x18x10 section or 3/4 of a 75g with deep sand bed and a few pieces of LR then packed with a variety of Macro Algae lit 24/7. Bio-diversity is HUGE and have continued to add many species to it over past 20 years. My return section is a smaller screened off/blacked out area that is a 'Cryptic Zone' for Sponges and Tunicates that help polish the water before re-entering the DT.

Cheers, Todd

mfief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of choosing my macros for my 20 gallon display fuge. I love the thought of growing some of my own food for my reef. I am sure that I will always have some other filtration methods but I would prefer to lean more on the natural methods

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
embracing a sort of 1990's hyper-perverted "Berlin School" mentality, where anything other than coral is considered a detriment.
-Scott

That just about sums it up. Come to think of it, I had a rather sterile system back in the 70's with bleached coral skeletons, a Sea Apple, a Starfish and a fish or two. That's one way to keep diversity low ;)

I'm not one to go out of my way to have tens of dozens of different species of critters in a tank, but I'm certainly happy to provide a home to the beneficial hitchhikers that have survived and prospered in my tank over the years. IMO, they've earned their place and provided some interest, too.

I'm familiar with the Triton method and I can see it having it's place, especially for those with large systems (the savings on water changes alone can be substantial). On a similar note, the DSR (Dutch Synthetic Reefing) system is finding some success in Europe, too.

Ralph.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just the automatic filter that says any word or phrase, anything with those four letters in a row, doesn't matter, they are edited. Same with gl*******s overflow kits.

Well, luck thing my name is not "Scot" or I'd be - - - - out of luck, right?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another GREAT article topic Scott. I am a huge proponent of Refugiums in our Reeftanks and IMO has a been a major contributing factor to my success for past 20 years or more. I readily preach the benefits of large (as feasible) high-flow Sump/Refugiums. As you mentioned above so much more natural and stable than any of the tech gadgets we incorporate into our systems. Nutrient export, natural food production, Nursery, added bio-diversity and low tech.... what's not to like.
My 'Fuge' design for the 125g is a 36x18x10 section or 3/4 of a 75g with deep sand bed and a few pieces of LR then packed with a variety of Macro Algae lit 24/7. Bio-diversity is HUGE and have continued to add many species to it over past 20 years. My return section is a smaller screened off/blacked out area that is a 'Cryptic Zone' for Sponges and Tunicates that help polish the water before re-entering the DT.

Cheers, Todd

It's hard to top a well-managed natural approach for real stability, IMHO. I remember you and I having a discussion about the "cryptic zone" thing touted by Tyree back in the day...Still a neat idea.. I like the way your "fugue sounds!

-Scott

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dutch and triton methods appear to be about the same just matter of who is doing the testing and mixing seems to be the difference IMO.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of choosing my macros for my 20 gallon display fuge. I love the thought of growing some of my own food for my reef. I am sure that I will always have some other filtration methods but I would prefer to lean more on the natural methods

Yeah, you really can't overlook the supplemental food production...such a good reason alone for refugium inclusion!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dutch and triton methods appear to be about the same just matter of who is doing the testing and mixing seems to be the difference IMO.

Well, it's important to know WHAT and in the correct measures...and that's what makes the Triton method very intriguing...the ultimate "test and tweak" method, as I asserted previously. That being said, the Dutch reefs have always been exceptional, IMHO...The hobbyists over there really embrace "holistic" reef keeping and management.

-Scott

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still fairly new to the hobby and maybe because of that hadn't heard much about 'fugues but once I did I wanted one - mainly for the supplemental food. But one problem I've run into is that I have an AIO tank. I've thought about using a hang on the back/side 'fugue and may eventually go that route but it would require alterations to the way my AIO works and would take away from the look of the DT so for now I'm forgoing that option.

However, I am going to be creating a 'fugue using an Aqua Gadget by Innovative Marine and their Fuge Light as well. I hope to have it set up with some rubble, micro algae and maybe a few critters within the next few weeks and will see how it goes. The only problem I see with this approach is the size of the "fuge" as it will be ~1.13 gallons for my 60 gallon tank. But I suppose that beats not having anything at all.

If anyone else has done this I'd sure like to hear about but don't want to hijack this thread.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. I have never been a preacher of fuges. Never had one. I've done the pellets. ATS systems and had moderate success. In my newest challenge my sump came with a fuge area. It gets full flow from my sump but it's know about 400 gph for my 66 gallon tank. I have a 3700k led 13 watt house lamp over it. I'm getting some intensely dark green chaeto growth and also other algae on the glass. Unfortunately also getting coraline in my skimmer.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still fairly new to the hobby and maybe because of that hadn't heard much about 'fugues but once I did I wanted one - mainly for the supplemental food. But one problem I've run into is that I have an AIO tank. I've thought about using a hang on the back/side 'fugue and may eventually go that route but it would require alterations to the way my AIO works and would take away from the look of the DT so for now I'm forgoing that option.

However, I am going to be creating a 'fugue using an Aqua Gadget by Innovative Marine and their Fuge Light as well. I hope to have it set up with some rubble, micro algae and maybe a few critters within the next few weeks and will see how it goes. The only problem I see with this approach is the size of the "fuge" as it will be ~1.13 gallons for my 60 gallon tank. But I suppose that beats not having anything at all.

If anyone else has done this I'd sure like to hear about but don't want to hijack this thread.

Hey, the "nano fugue" is intriguing! And getting feedback won't hijack this thread, no prob...It's all about idea exchange, so feel free..

Thanks!

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. I have never been a preacher of fuges. Never had one. I've done the pellets. ATS systems and had moderate success. In my newest challenge my sump came with a fuge area. It gets full flow from my sump but it's know about 400 gph for my 66 gallon tank. I have a 3700k led 13 watt house lamp over it. I'm getting some intensely dark green chaeto growth and also other algae on the glass. Unfortunately also getting coraline in my skimmer.

Yeah, the coralline kinda goes with the territory...I think the best refugia benefit from slower water movement into and out of them to allow greater "processing time" for the animals inside to do their magic...

-Scott

blufin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Fuge

I have been into reefing for about 20 years. I've gone through several types of sumps like bio balls, the bio rocker, empty sump and fuge. After taking about a year off, I got back into reefing and setup my system again. A friend of mine knew I was a die hard stick head and told me some of the best acro tanks he's seen were running the plenum system. I didn't know much about them, but if the acroholics were using it, that's all I had to know. So I set up a plenum system using my 29g sump. Very easy and cheap to do. There's only 2 macro algaes in there right now: cheato and red dragon's breath. Both are healthy and growing rapidly. The 'fuge and dt are full of pods. My No3 and Po4 are constantly 0. I know that's not ideal for an acro tank, but I'm feeding the fish heavily and supplementing with liquid sps food. So far the acros are doing well. We'll see how it goes in the long run. If I decide to scrap it, it's as easy as cleaning out the 'fuge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 270
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 275

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's important to know WHAT and in the correct measures...and that's what makes the Triton method very intriguing...the ultimate "test and tweak" method, as I asserted previously. That being said, the Dutch reefs have always been exceptional, IMHO...The hobbyists over there really embrace "holistic" reef keeping and management.

-Scott

Very true. I'm sure Triton is using equipment much more accurate than the hobby kits we use. With the Dutch method it's the same approach, but using hobby kits to test and mixing up their own batches of elements. There is a lot of good info on the Dutch method out there too. I'm not big on using ozone though, so I do see water changes when needed.

Funny you wrote this article today. I've been planning this new tank with a few old ideas. For one I'm planning a fuge and going with live rock. I want a more natural approach to nutrient export and a place for pods to harbor. I also miss the diversity you get with live rock. All those things have their roles and using live rock adds to the diversity making it closer to a complete ecosystem. You do risk the potential of pests, but a little time and patience can get rid of those. The same holds true when you add a frag to your tank. Dipping can help rid the frags from hitchhikers, but you're also getting rid of the good ones with any potential bad ones. Also depending on the vendor the bad hitchhikers should normally be far less than the beneficial life you get with a good quality live rock.

Matter of fact I ran across this thread looking for info on iron dosing with macro algae in mind. Very good article by the way.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been into reefing for about 20 years. I've gone through several types of sumps like bio balls, the bio rocker, empty sump and fuge. After taking about a year off, I got back into reefing and setup my system again. A friend of mine knew I was a die hard stick head and told me some of the best acro tanks he's seen were running the plenum system. I didn't know much about them, but if the acroholics were using it, that's all I had to know. So I set up a plenum system using my 29g sump. Very easy and cheap to do. There's only 2 macro algaes in there right now: cheato and red dragon's breath. Both are healthy and growing rapidly. The 'fuge and dt are full of pods. My No3 and Po4 are constantly 0. I know that's not ideal for an acro tank, but I'm feeding the fish heavily and supplementing with liquid sps food. So far the acros are doing well. We'll see how it goes in the long run. If I decide to scrap it, it's as easy as cleaning out the 'fuge.

Excellent point, nice pic, and I have a feeling that the benefits will outweigh any possible detriments!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. I'm sure Triton is using equipment much more accurate than the hobby kits we use. With the Dutch method it's the same approach, but using hobby kits to test and mixing up their own batches of elements. There is a lot of good info on the Dutch method out there too. I'm not big on using ozone though, so I do see water changes when needed.

Funny you wrote this article today. I've been planning this new tank with a few old ideas. For one I'm planning a fuge and going with live rock. I want a more natural approach to nutrient export and a place for pods to harbor. I also miss the diversity you get with live rock. All those things have their roles and using live rock adds to the diversity making it closer to a complete ecosystem. You do risk the potential of pests, but a little time and patience can get rid of those. The same holds true when you add a frag to your tank. Dipping can help rid the frags from hitchhikers, but you're also getting rid of the good ones with any potential bad ones. Also depending on the vendor the bad hitchhikers should normally be far less than the beneficial life you get with a good quality live rock.

Matter of fact I ran across this thread looking for info on iron dosing with macro algae in mind. Very good article by the way.

I think there are a lot of pros and cons about biodiversity proffered by advocates on both sides of the fence...It's really all about what you're trying to accomplish, and how much you are willing to accept both the pros and the cons. I think stability is a real key factor in reef keeping, and I like the fact that a refugium can assist...Also, I am interested in seeing the marriage of new thought and seasoned concepts coming together!

-Scott

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are a lot of pros and cons about biodiversity proffered by advocates on both sides of the fence...It's really all about what you're trying to accomplish, and how much you are willing to accept both the pros and the cons. I think stability is a real key factor in reef keeping, and I like the fact that a refugium can assist...Also, I am interested in seeing the marriage of new thought and seasoned concepts coming together!

-Scott

There are pros and cons to most things in this hobby and you're right stability is a key factor. Refugia can definitely assist in more ways that I personally mentioned, but those were my two main reasons for choosing to incorporate one into the new build. I'm with you, I do like using old and new concepts. The hobby would haven't gotten this far without experimentation.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm intending, when I get my next tank, to make sure it has a refugium. Really wanna keep those tiny food critters. I might keep macros in the display, but that's probably going to be impossible with the Powder Blue Tang my hubby wants...

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I get as much enjoyment from my refugium as I do my display tank.
Actually, I'm feeling pretty disconnected right now, as I didn't know refugiums were dead, or even dying.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back