Rethinking my stock list

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 gallon aio mixed reef.
I was going to stock: royal gramma, Yasha goby/pistol shrimp, yellow clown goby and maybe something else for the column. Now I’m thinking what if I ever want sps in the tank. The yellow clown goby eliminates that option. But, I do want to enjoy some visible fish. Y’all either talk me into the yellow clown or provide me with good options that will be cute and have personality please! No clown fish.

jdubDaReefGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me introduce Charlie! A Pygmy red rooster wasp fish. Honestly one of my favorite additions to my nano

Attachments

• IMG_2281.jpeg
    IMG_2281.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2111.mov
    46.8 MB

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 25 gal lagoon I currently have a purple firefish, yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp, a carpenters wrasse and a neon blue goby plus inverts. They all get along great because they occupy different areas of the tank and rock .
IMG_6527.jpg

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, FWIW, my original stocking list is so far removed from the current reality of my tank, that I question what I was ever thinking. Let your tank evolve and pick the right fish to fill the niches. Don't focus on a "list".

OP
OP
NanoNana

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 25 gal lagoon I currently have a purple firefish, yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp, a carpenters wrasse and a neon blue goby plus inverts. They all get along great because they occupy different areas of the tank and rock .
IMG_6527.jpg
I think my tank is too small for a carpenters. It’s a cube and I worry about that with wrasses.

jdubDaReefGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O. M. G. He’s awesome! Tell me about him. How large is your tank? Don’t they eat other fish?
I have a 20gal AIO. They have smaller mouths so most fish will be too big for them to eat. I feed mine frozen mysis aswell as a few ghost shrimp a week. Doesn’t bother any corals but you wouldn’t be able to have any type of shrimp. Even if the shrimp is larger. They will tear them apart. Besides that, he just hops around my tank watching me and seeing what the other fish are doing. Here’s a video of him eating.

OP
OP
NanoNana

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20gal AIO. They have smaller mouths so most fish will be too big for them to eat. I feed mine frozen mysis aswell as a few ghost shrimp a week. Doesn’t bother any corals but you wouldn’t be able to have any type of shrimp. Even if the shrimp is larger. They will tear them apart. Besides that, he just hops around my tank watching me and seeing what the other fish are doing. Here’s a video of him eating.

Oh that IS cool! I’ll have to think about the no shrimp thing. And the risk of being envenomed by my fish. Lol! He’s an amazing little guy.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 gallon aio mixed reef.
I was going to stock: royal gramma, Yasha goby/pistol shrimp, yellow clown goby and maybe something else for the column. Now I’m thinking what if I ever want sps in the tank. The yellow clown goby eliminates that option. But, I do want to enjoy some visible fish. Y’all either talk me into the yellow clown or provide me with good options that will be cute and have personality please! No clown fish.
Cardinal fish! Great fish, float in the water column and reef safe! Also a blenny! If you get a barnacle cluster skeleton and put that in the tank they will call that home and not perch on your SPS!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my tank is too small for a carpenters. It’s a cube and I worry about that with wrasses.
I agree, the lagoon has a bigger footprint, less depth. The cube would likely be cramped for a wrasse, but maybe a "fairy" wrasse? They stay small.

Or, a possum wrasse, or a pink streaked wrasse.

OP
OP
NanoNana

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the lagoon has a bigger footprint, less depth. The cube would likely be cramped for a wrasse, but maybe a "fairy" wrasse? They stay small.

Or, a possum wrasse, or a pink streaked wrasse.
I’ve thought about a pink streak tbh. Dotty backs stay small but can be so aggressive. I’ll likely end up with a firefish or a pink streak. I want fish to be noticeable and options are fairly limited. I’m not a fan of cardinals. They don’t show up well and my mother would struggle to see them. Maybe a springeri or starcks damsel. It’s kind of a roll of the dice with those but if I can find a tiny one and put it in last it may be okay.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.2%
Back