OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that you are correct that at full siphon the 1.25" drain can supply at least 1100 gph, then you definitely need a new return pump. I think you have more head loss than you realize. Try the head loss calc at (Head Loss).

I tried it with the following which I gathered from your post (I may be off)
Vertical: 4
Horizontal : 1
Pipe diameter: 0.75
# of 90 degree: 1 (your T)
# of pipe exits: 2
# of pipe entrances: 1

With the MAG18 it calculated a head loss of 9.5' with a flow of 874 gph
With the MAG24 it calculated a head loss of 11.58' with a flow of 1030 gph

While I do not claim to know the accuracy of this calculator it does suggest you probably have a lot more head loss than you expect. You really need to get the return flow up to 1100 if you want to run your skimmer the way you have it setup in your sump.
Ok I played with that calculator a little. What if I replace the tube from the pump to the bulkhead with 1" pipe and took out the tee and add a y pipe for return? Think it might change it up a little?

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the somewhat harsh response above but I have heard this unfounded argument of matching the flow rate to the Skimmer for to many years and the science does not back it. I do have and recommend having Skimmer intake and output with the same/first sump chamber to maintain consistent water level and for my setup have Skimmer pump situated almost directly below overflow dump (back) and outlet on opposite side (front) directing towards baffle to next chamber/Fuge. With a high flow there is very little recirculation. Skimmers all work off of 'Dwell Time' and Recirc Skimmers take advantage by recirculating instead of added height to reactor chamber. There are indeed many ways to run a Sump and mechanical equipment within to keeping a successful Reeftank but certain procedures/setups will always out perform others based purely on science/mechanics. With Skimmer tech you will always get better foam production with the dirtiest or most protein laden water this is the science based facts not my opinions, so have just followed good data/info.

Cheers, Todd

Cheers, your right dwell time is what's important but if the flow is just above that of the skimmer, which is what he would have to have in his current setup to keep water from draining then how is that any different then what you are doing with high flow sump. In other words if the flow thru sump is higher than skimmer then the skimmer would be getting fresh dirty water regardless if the flow was 50gph or 500 gph over that of skimmer. In his example if the skimmer flows 1100gph then any flow above that would go thru sump unfiltered. I slightly disagree with the science part as science doesn't always get it right, for example a bee is not suppose to fly but it does. As the saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat we just have to find what works best for the setup we have. Feel free to link any scientific articles related to flow thru sump and protein skimmer efficiency.
Have a great weekend, Jason

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did a little flow test but I think I did it wrong or I didn't get it at its peek. It took about 10 seconds to fill a gallon. So that would make it flow at 360 gph. Like I said I don't think I did it right. I can tell you though it is slower the heck I did water change last night and the siphon drain I use flowed way faster then the new water coming up from the sump.

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have just 1 drain right? That seems low. At 15' head loss you would still have 575gph. What size outlet is on the pump and what size was the return line again?

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The outlet on pump is 3/4" if i am reading this right that you stepped down to 1/2". You should have gone to 1" or at the very least stayed at 3/4". Smaller = higher press less flow. Larger = less press more flow

datoneazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard some one says something like this the other day 10x the water volume is how u should get your return to be honest I have a 50g tank with a sicce 5.0 and 2 850gpg korollia in there

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard some one says something like this the other day 10x the water volume is how u should get your return to be honest I have a 50g tank with a sicce 5.0 and 2 850gpg korollia in there

If I'm understanding you right the 10x times you are referring to is turnover rate going thru sump whereas you are referring to flow rate within the tank, which is different.

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of restricting the return can u at the very least increase to 3/4.
Yes I can. But it'll still have to go to a half inch. That's the size of my return bulkhead. I measured the hole before I set up to see if I could put a 3/4 but the hole in the glass is to small.

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The outlet on pump is 3/4" if i am reading this right that you stepped down to 1/2". You should have gone to 1" or at the very least stayed at 3/4". Smaller = higher press less flow. Larger = less press more flow
Ya Unfortunately the tank was predrilled and a 1/2 bulkhead is the only thing I can fit. I could just up grade all the return pipes to larger but I'll still have the restriction of the 1/2 in bulkhead. But would that still create more flow trying that?

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be ok just going through the bulkhead if you do 3/4 before and after bulkhead. Is bulkhead in back of tank or in the bottom

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How ever much the bulkhead will flow is all you will get. Any way to go over the top with return.
That's Exactly what I was thinking I might do. Just go over the top. I'll just have to drill the canopy a bit. But should I use the existing return loc lines? They are 1/2 in. Was thinkin maybe 3/4 to an inch from pump up to a y the to the lock line. Or should I just get the little hang on ones?

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the 1/2in then I would run two return lines. Otherwise you run into the same problem as the bulkhead. If u do that then I would run 1inch to the y then step down from there.

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the 1/2in then I would run two return lines. Otherwise you run into the same problem as the bulkhead. If u do that then I would run 1inch to the y then step down from there.
Ya that's what I think ill do. But not hard plum it to reduce the need for elbows and 45s. Just use flex tube/vinyl tube.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back