Return-s for a 75 gallon tank

Filler13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but I just wanted to make sure before plumbing install. I am in the process of building a 75 gallon setup. I am using a eshopps 1000 otb overflow which is rated for a larger tank but I plan on using one of the two outlets as an emergency drain. Using a refugium sump, skimmer, etc. With a return dc pump of 1050 gph and 5 foot head. I am only using 22.5, 45 elbows and wyes on a 3/4" return line. Planning to split the return to two 3/4" loc line outlets. People keep telling me that my return pump isn't strong enough, but I don't want rapids going through the refugium. Is 1050 gph enough and if it is, would I need to increase the gph if I were to split off a manifold for reactor + use ?

OP
OP
Filler13

Filler13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always better to go with a bigger pump and throttle it back if it’s dc or use a valve to create head pressure on a ac pump.
Thanks Troylee, I was thinking the same thing.... just wanted a second opinion from a more experienced reefer. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back