Return pump.

Benedetto84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a new return pump for my biocube 29. This morning my pump started acting funny. When I turned it off for feed when I tried to turn it back on it wouldn't come on. After unplugging and plugging back in several times it started working . So as stated I am looking for a new return pump. Any suggestions would be great thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a new return pump for my biocube 29. This morning my pump started acting funny. When I turned it off for feed when I tried to turn it back on it wouldn't come on. After unplugging and plugging back in several times it started working . So as stated I am looking for a new return pump. Any suggestions would be great thanks
When is the last time you cleaned it? It sounds like you may have a problem with the mechanical stop that prevents it from spinning backwards. I'm thinking running it in vinegar for a awhile might be all you need to get it working fine again.

OP
OP
Benedetto84

Benedetto84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't cleaned it since I got it, but that was in July. But I'll pull it out and run it through vinegar to try and get it cleaned out. If that doesn't work do you have any suggestion? Also thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't cleaned it since I got it, but that was in July. But I'll pull it out and run it through vinegar to try and get it cleaned out. If that doesn't work do you have any suggestion? Also thanks
Sorry, I really don't have any suggestions for a replacement.

Just so you understand why cleaning should help (I'm a geek and love info like this)... Small single phase AC motors can run in either direction. It's really a combination of where the impeller stops in relation to the motor windings. Most manufacturers put an anti-reverse rotation device (many different styles) so if it starts the wrong way, it immediately bounces off this device and starts spinning in the correct direction. Depending on the design, this may not work if the pump isn't fairly clean. It sounds like your pump may be hitting this stop and sticking.

Hoping someone with more experience can recommend a better return pump if you still decide to replace it.

OP
OP
Benedetto84

Benedetto84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I really don't have any suggestions for a replacement.

Just so you understand why cleaning should help (I'm a geek and love info like this)... Small single phase AC motors can run in either direction. It's really a combination of where the impeller stops in relation to the motor windings. Most manufacturers put an anti-reverse rotation device (many different styles) so if it starts the wrong way, it immediately bounces off this device and starts spinning in the correct direction. Depending on the design, this may not work if the pump isn't fairly clean. It sounds like your pump may be hitting this stop and sticking.

Hoping someone with more experience can recommend a better return pump if you still decide to replace it.

Thanks for the info:) honestly had no clue that's how it worked!!

But unfortunately it won't even try to start. It's making no noise at all when I plug it in. So hopefully it starts again. If not I think this means I will have to make a trek out to the lfs that's so far away lol.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But unfortunately it won't even try to start. It's making no noise at all when I plug it in. So hopefully it starts again. If not I think this means I will have to make a trek out to the lfs that's so far away lol.
Do you know how to take the front of the pump off so you can inspect the impeller?

RobBaglieri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My pump did the same thing. I socked it in vinegar for four days and it started working again.

OP
OP
Benedetto84

Benedetto84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normally fairly easy. What brand and model is it?

The impeller wasn't dirty it was all behind it. And it's a coralife. When I first got this one I did a vinegar bath because I bought it used but I never took it apart. So it had some stuff in it. I cleaned it out with a little brush I had

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The impeller wasn't dirty it was all behind it. And it's a coralife. When I first got this one I did a vinegar bath because I bought it used but I never took it apart. So it had some stuff in it. I cleaned it out with a little brush I had
Sorry, if it is clean on the inside and still not working I am out of ideas. Wish I could have been more help! :(

OP
OP
Benedetto84

Benedetto84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, if it is clean on the inside and still not working I am out of ideas. Wish I could have been more help! :(

Thanks for all the help though, Really appreciate it. It's not even trying to come on. So I think in order for me to get some thing in the tank Ima have to make a drive.

OP
OP
Benedetto84

Benedetto84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just used my small pump I have for mixing saltwater. It's a little less than what I would like. Does any one know of a good return pump with a controller that will fit in the biocube ?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cobalt aquatics mj1200 is a perfect swap, a good pump and is rated about the same gph as the original. I would prefer to use the controller on my powerheads in the display,

OP
OP
Benedetto84

Benedetto84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cobalt aquatics mj1200 is a perfect swap, a good pump and is rated about the same gph as the original. I would prefer to use the controller on my powerheads in the display,

Thank you. I was looking at that one and it looks like it will get the job done. I agree about controllable powerheads. I have a jabao wp10 in the dt right now which I like a lot

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%

Back