RIP and Who Done It?

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a sad day:cry:. I awoke this morning to find this in my tank.
3300036391_e61f2e4a08.jpg

Last night, it looked like this, although it's been on that empty half shell, pictured above, for attachment for several weeks.
3202239069_05eeac5177.jpg

The only recent addition to the tank has been a Yellow Tang, that came from a tank with a T. crocea. The 2 large T. croceas are, well, happy as clams. The now dead T. maxima was alive and well last night; reactive to shadows, opening and closing just fine. I just don't understand. The only concern I've ever had with this clam is that, in the 6 weeks we've had it, it never attached. I wasn't too concerned about this though, as it's always appeared healthy.

I've never seen anything in the tank showing the slightest interest in this lil' guy. The rest of our fish have been in the tank with this clam and the 2 T. croceas for a long time.

A few weeks ago, early in the morning, Angie did see a large (approx. 1 1/2" diameter) clear(ish) flat worm. We PMd Leslie about this and she tentatively IDd it as possible snail eating flatworms that have been reported to go after clams. Yet, we have no idea how long this flat worm has been in our system, how it got there, or how to trap it. We haven't seen it since. Here's a link with a pic that Angie found while trying to ID it. It looks just like this guy, she says.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/WormPIX/FlatwormPIX/what is this flatworm.jpg

So far, we hadn't noticed a severe decline in our snail population and, up until now, have had no problems with our clams!!

Sure am glad our newest clam went into a different tank!!!

Any ideas????

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, from the before picture, you clam doesn't look well there.It appears to have pinched mantle...the mantle of a healthy clam will extend well beyond the shell and the siphon tube will be clearly visible. Also, for what it's worth, a lot of clams don't like have GFO...grandular ferrious oxide in the water...think a phosphate reactor with Phosban, or Phosphate sponge in it. I use a phosban reactor with Fauna Marin phosphate remover, but that is in line with a second reactor filled with Reef carbon that is changed monthly.

Here is what a healthy clam looks like...notice how far the mantle extends and the siphon clearly visable...

IMG_0360.jpg

What kind of lighting was the clam under? Water parmeters? IMO from the photo above, you did not have a healthy clam to begin with and once they get to the point of having a retracted mantle well, it's hard, if not downright impossible to bring them back. I know people who have used fresh water dips for clams, but even then, the cure may kill an already weaken clam.

Last edited:
OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "before" pic I posted was after it'd been scared by my hand shadow. Here's some more pics to show it's health.
3182413545_e3d02e53d2.jpg

The clam was very healthy. I don't use GFO and it was under a 6 bulb, Sunlight Supply Tek5 fixture. It was receiving plenty of light.

Water Parameters are just great and all other clams are healthy. I've kept clams in this tank for 3 years now and the only other loss I had was a T. squamosa with a torn byssal thread.

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few pics of my others.
3275427361_365dd1b2d8.jpg

3058655777_e9ef7327a8.jpg

3059490770_7c53993f6d.jpg

2934190007_24583e5f89.jpg

2410767117_cd0a5d0371.jpg

No longer have the T. derasa, as it outgrew my tank. It's now happy in a 2500 gallon that it'll never outgrow!!
2089879504_23cc917a83.jpg

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another, though the white balance was a lil off.
3182413545_e3d02e53d2.jpg

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it might be my imagination, but all your other clams look fabulous, very full and extended and that one just doesn't seem to be spot on. It's mantle just doesn't seem as full as the others. Very nice sweet clams by the way. Maybe it was the worm...sometime we drive our self crazy trying to find a cause when in the real world, sometimes things just die. Sorry for your loss..that was a kickin clam with those blue stripes like that. Did you check for any predator snails, especially at night after lights out or was it just the worm. Thanks for the other clam pics...I enjoyed them.

In the first pick it looks real good, but that last picture of it just doesn't seem right and even when a clam retracts there was a lot of space at the top where the mantle attached. Usually it's closer to the rim if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have checked everything very closely for piramallid snails. Don't see anything. I'll be watching my other clams very closely!! Have even checked them a couple times tonight already, after lights out...lol. Just bums me out. This was such a beautiful lil' guy!!

Dooly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this may be a bit late, but did you ever figure out what it was?

I have 2 established clams in my tank for 1 year + doing great.. and lost 3 new clams within a month.. the only difference was the placement.. the established clams were on top of slabs of rock where snails could not reach..

on my 3rd dead clam I found 2 nassarius snails inside the snail.. seems that if I put a clam on the sand/within reach of the snails.. they will devour it from the foot, upwards.. they have since been banishe to the sump

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was >3" it could have died for any reason. I just lost one too. The others are fine. Up to 3" it is hard to tell what they die from in my experience. Sometimes they just go south overnight.

Fatheree's book on clams is the best and describes this as well in better detail...

bheld1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm...I have a maxima thats just about 3"...I'll have to watch him closely now! This thread makes me worry haha

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.8%
Back