OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a HUGE fan of LRS Reef Frenzy! It's all I use in my tank.

Where do you order Aquacraft salt? Also, how does the price compare to RC? I'm an RC user currently, but if the prices aren't too far apart, I might give Aquacraft a shot.

Straight from Aquacraft. I think it was $69 shipped for a 150 gal. box.

Love that toadstool man looks awesome

Thanks! Toadstool is back out again. I moved it to the frag tank. I don't know why it but it closed up again and won't open.

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in your experience using AquaCraft salt, keep us posted. I like how it mixed clear so fast for you. How long is it recommended to mix before it's ready for a water change? Those parameters are what I keep my reef at also and I've heard good things about that brand, and seen some amazing reef tanks using AquaCraft.
I've always used RC before and am familiar with Randy Holmes-Farleys great work/contributions. Can you elaborate on his findings regarding RC salt, or post a link? Thanks man

Tank2379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight from Aquacraft. I think it was $69 shipped for a 150 gal. box.

Thanks! Toadstool is back out again. I moved it to the frag tank. I don't know why it but it closed up again and won't open.

Mine closed for a month when I transferred it , when it decided to open up it was like a beautiful butterfly [emoji13]

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in your experience using AquaCraft salt, keep us posted. I like how it mixed clear so fast for you. How long is it recommended to mix before it's ready for a water change? Those parameters are what I keep my reef at also and I've heard good things about that brand, and seen some amazing reef tanks using AquaCraft.
I've always used RC before and am familiar with Randy Holmes-Farleys great work/contributions. Can you elaborate on his findings regarding RC salt, or post a link? Thanks man

I'm not sure on the mixing times. It never mattered much to me since as soon as I use the salt mix I mix another batch. I always have 25-30 gallons of salt mix ready to use.

I'm not real sure about the metal chelators other than Randy's comments and I've never seen and in depth discussion on it.

It is not a "chelated" salt in the sense of the calcium or other primary ingredients, but it does contain a metal chelator (last time they told me, anyway, in 2010) that is intended to "detoxify" the water from heavy metals.

I'm big on n0t adding anything I don't need though. I think RC assumes people will use tap water so the metal detoxifiers are added. Since I use nothing but RO/DI with 0 TDS it's something I really don't need.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine closed for a month when I transferred it , when it decided to open up it was like a beautiful butterfly [emoji13]

Mine has been closed since February 2014! Lol! I moved it out to a friend's tank and after a couple months it opened up for him. It was open for a while when I got it back but closed up again. If I can get it open again I'm going to frag it.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growth shot! Myagi tort. January 2015 to today. It's growing the wrong way for me to get a good pic but you can see it has taken off.

image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I found out why all my corals in the frag tank have been looking bad.

Vertex line mag rusted and was dropping the rust in my tank.
image.jpg
image.jpg

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow .... Incredible , you should bring that to vertex attention !

Hope you found the problem and your pieces start to thrive again

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow .... Incredible , you should bring that to vertex attention !

Hope you found the problem and your pieces start to thrive again

Thanks. I messaged them a link to a thread I made about it here.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no!! At least, the mystery has been solved.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats terrible about the rust. Bposted in your other thread about it. I went thru the same thing very recently. Very sorry that it happened to you too.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montiporas seem to be the main one affected. Some of my Acros had burned tips that look like alk burn but my alk has been solid at 8 for months. We'll see if the corals bounce back now.

I've never been able to keep montis in my display either so I got to wondering and smashed open my old mag float (that hasn't floated in years)......
image.jpg
image.jpg

Not only rusted but one end of the magnet is corroded and partially gone. This thing has been in saltwater nonstop probably 6-7 years.

Maybe after all these years I've figured out why I can't keep montis alive.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh wow man that's just nasty! You think this could be one of the reasons?

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow man that's just nasty! You think this could be one of the reasons?

Very possible. I know a lot of people where having tank issue because of the veggie mags rusting.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen caps come back from the dead but not digis. I think these are toast. I'm holding out hope for a polyp or 2 to show.
image.jpg

bfam4t6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montiporas seem to be the main one affected. Some of my Acros had burned tips that look like alk burn but my alk has been solid at 8 for months. We'll see if the corals bounce back now.

I've never been able to keep montis in my display either so I got to wondering and smashed open my old mag float (that hasn't floated in years)......
image.jpg
image.jpg

Not only rusted but one end of the magnet is corroded and partially gone. This thing has been in saltwater nonstop probably 6-7 years.

Maybe after all these years I've figured out why I can't keep montis alive.

Dang, that looks pretty nasty! I will be closely watching for rust now. I've noticed just a little bit near the base of the shaft on the wetside of my Vortech, but I haven't had any trouble keeping anything in that tank. Now you have me thinking I should just be proactive and replace it.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a few days since I've done much different. I didn't do anything different except take out the old mag floats and the rusted mag line. I did water changes in both tanks today and by tonight I could see polyps on the montis.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I have a huge cyphastrea rock that looked dead a long time ago that is showing color today too.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back