RKE - System Labs Issue

primo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both SL1 and SL2v2 and the issue is with both I think. First the SL2, I calibrated the temp probe to be 78, verified with independent thermometer. Stayed there overnight and now shows 49.5, still 78 on the thermometer. Tried factory reset and set defaults in diagnostics and recalibrate, no luck still says 49. Ok so I move the probe to the SL1 and calibrate to 78, staying there but the SL1 status light is blinking so I assume no good. Back to SL2, with no probe connected still shows 49 as a temp, I would expect ERROR since no probe connected. Also, i believe it is affecting my conductivity since it temp corrects. I calibrated with 53 solution, now with temp showing 49 cond is showing -36.

A lot going on here but if anyone can help with any parts I appreciate it.

system connected as follows:
RKE > PC4 > PC4, NET > PC4 > SL2v2 > SL1 > ALC

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are accessing the SL1 the light will blink. I am not sure what the isse with the SL2v2 is. Is the latest firmware installed on the module. If you update firmware make sure that it is the only module connected to the SID. Also you might want to try unplugging the module from the system and plug it back in to reset the module. Also the SL2v2 is a power hog. can you place a PC4 after it in the buss? Try and spread the PC4's out in the buss.

OP
OP
P

primo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks on the blinking light it has now stopped. Still stumped on why the sl2 is showing a temp with no probe connected

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I tried disconnecting the temp probe from my SL2v2. I was getting 78.10 which was the reading before it was disconnected and occasionally a Error on the screen. This is hooked to an Archon which is different than a RKE. Have you tried any of the other suggestions?

OP
OP
P

primo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done everything but put a pc4 after it. Will require crawling behind the stand. Do you think that will make a big difference

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is the case it might help. if you could do a RKE >PC4>NET>PC4>SL2v2>PC4>SL1>ALC it would be best. The RKE head unit, NET module and SL2v2 are the modules that use the most power. The NET module I think uses the most of the three. Have you got a probe hooked to it while you are checking it?

OP
OP
P

primo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooked to the sl2? Just ph and conductivity. Temp is on the sl2 since it works there and controls heaters. Ph seems close but conductivity is way off I assume due to help issue

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a temp probe on the SL2 you will have to rename the salinity port to something with a lower case letter as the first character in the name (ppt instead of PPT) to turn off temp compensation. Otherwise you salinity reading will be way off. You will probably have to recalibrate after you change it.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you have a SL1&2 on your system?
The system came with the SL1. It does temp,pH,ORP and 2 switch inputs. If you want salinity then you will need to purchase the SL2v2 for that. It has temp, pH, salinity and 2 switch inputs. The temp input on the SL2 is also used for temp compensation for the salinity reading. Most people will get the SL2 if they need another pH or more switch inputs along with the possibility of adding the salinity probe. The system is now shipped with the SLX module instead of the SL1. it has 2 ports for pH with one being able to be switched to ORP if you want. It also has the temp input along with the 2 switch inputs. The SL1 is no longer being produced.

OP
OP
P

primo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I now have the system ordered RKE >PC4>NET>PC4>SL2v2>PC4>SL1>ALC. This caused the temp probe in the SL1 to bounce around like crazy, I had to calibrate a few times and I think it now has settled down. So now what? The temp on the SL2 still reads 49 with no probe in it, it has the latest firmware. Is there a way to completely wipe it clean back to factory and reload the latest firmware.

I sent the same message to the DA support email and their response was to send it in to repair/replace or load the latest firmware. The unit is far from being covered by warranty, plus I purchased it used so don't have the receipt anyway. Any other ideas?

OP
OP
P

primo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
n2585722...you mentioned an interrupted update and then a full update on another post I had regarding the impending upgrade (which is turning out to be less than I hoped for). can you elaborate and provide instructions? I am at the point where I am fully ready to wipe the whole system and start from scratch.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you just having a temp issue with the SL2v2 module? Why would you want to mess with the other modules if this is the case? It is either a problem with the SL2v2, temp probe if the module is getting the correct power to it. If the temp probe works correctly on the SL1 module it eliminates the probe. You can try a interupted update on the SL2v2 if you wish but it sounds like an issue with that module. Have you tried putting the probe back on the SL2 module? Have you tired resetting the temp port back to factory defaults with myReef?

elmexotics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
n2585722...you mentioned an interrupted update and then a full update on another post I had regarding the impending upgrade (which is turning out to be less than I hoped for). can you elaborate and provide instructions? I am at the point where I am fully ready to wipe the whole system and start from scratch.
I believe we are currently working with you through our support also.

OP
OP
P

primo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you just having a temp issue with the SL2v2 module? Why would you want to mess with the other modules if this is the case? It is either a problem with the SL2v2, temp probe if the module is getting the correct power to it. If the temp probe works correctly on the SL1 module it eliminates the probe. You can try a interupted update on the SL2v2 if you wish but it sounds like an issue with that module. Have you tried putting the probe back on the SL2 module? Have you tired resetting the temp port back to factory defaults with myReef?

I have reset the SL2 temp port back to factory which did not work. I have not yet put the probe back in the SL2 since it was still showing a temp I figured something was still going on as I expected an ERROR reading with nothing connected to it. I will put it back on tonight when I get home from work. If there is an issue with the module, and agree it sounds like there is, would the interrupted update potentially resolve it?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back