RO filters, how don’t I spend too much?

DoINeedAName?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank, 55 gallon saltwater tank, is holding border safe nitrates. Kinda high but not killing anything yet. We have done water changes and added more rock, but still high nitrates. We finally tested plain tap water and out tap water is about at 15 nitrates. We have started looking at RO/DI systems and they’re way too expensive for what we need. I was wondering if anyone knew if there were cheaper ones or how to not spend $200+ on one.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in england and got a vyair model so probably not so good for you but mine cost £ 183 and got spare membrane,filters,di resin and dual inline tds meter £183= roughly $ 200 i think
But i often see people on r2r recommending rodi units for less than $ 200 so sure someone chime in soon

And typically people change rodi membranes every 2- 5 years i have noticed.
Sediment and carbon block every 3- 6 months and di resin 6- 12 months but lots factors like how kuch water you producing and what your tds is at incoming tap water etc
But membrane for me costs £ 24.99
Sediment and carbon block couple £'s
Di resin im not sure off hand but not expensive and they say eventually it will pay for itself ( again many factors)

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using tap water is usually a bad idea. RODI systems are not cheap (and the RO systems that are cheap are usually junk). You might look around for a used RODI. I see them on Craig's List frequently for $50 although you probably would need to replace the filter media.

Last edited:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Threads like this are a fountain off kbowledge like when to change sediment filters ( pressure drops) when to change di resin ( when tds starts to go to 1) plus lots other useful info

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe as brs just aquired marine depot then they still maybe having a sale at marine depot?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank, 55 gallon saltwater tank, is holding border safe nitrates. Kinda high but not killing anything yet. We have done water changes and added more rock, but still high nitrates. We finally tested plain tap water and out tap water is about at 15 nitrates. We have started looking at RO/DI systems and they’re way too expensive for what we need. I was wondering if anyone knew if there were cheaper ones or how to not spend $200+ on one.
Check out the RO buddy on amazon, $60 for a 4 stage unit

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a cheap unit for less than 100 on Amazon, but it is worth paying more since over time those cheap units end up costing more to operate.

If you have a LFS they should be able to hook you up with RO/DI for a small fee, this way at least until you figure out your end plan you can start using water without nitrates for your water changes.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a cheap unit for less than 100 on Amazon, but it is worth paying more since over time those cheap units end up costing more to operate.

If you have a LFS they should be able to hook you up with RO/DI for a small fee, this way at least until you figure out your end plan you can start using water without nitrates for your water changes.
The cost also depends on how much RO you're using. A cheap unit is perfect for people with smaller tanks since you won't be using a ton of RO for each water change

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back