Rock directly on glass: pressure points?

cowfootball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my rock structure on some cardboard and when I transferred it to the tank I noticed that it does not sit nearly as flat as it looked on the cardboard. The entire >60 pound structure is resting on what looks to be 10 or 11 points in the rock.

In my many hours of videos on the topic I didn't actually see this come up. I know some people use perfected base rock but I didn't buy any and was impatient... so here we are. Is this as big of a deal as I think it is? How do I go about fixing this?

I was thinking of just yoloing it and when I place the sand around it using a popsicle stick to push sand under to give it some more even support.

IMG_4253.jpg IMG_4254.jpg IMG_4255.jpg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll be fine. I've been piling hundreds of pounds of rock on bare bottom for years in multiple tanks with no issues

EDIT: IMO eggcrate on the bottom is a detritus trap with no way to keep it clean. I like to keep a powerhead down low so it blows under the rocks. If your using sand it would be fine but not needed, dump it in and start filling .

OP
OP
cowfootball

cowfootball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some use egg crate to put beneath rocks to help even out the "pressure points" - for me, i just left on the glass and moved the sand around those points.

That's kind of the direction I was leaning, maybe just using a popsicle stick to push the sand under to give it a more even base when I'm laying the substrate.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not nearly as worried about my 200lbs of rock as I am my 1300lbs of water on the glass :grimacing-face:

OP
OP
cowfootball

cowfootball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonus pictures of the first part of the scape. Lifting that in was not fun.

Attachments

• IMG_4257.jpeg
    IMG_4257.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4256.jpeg
    IMG_4256.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 8

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 83 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back