Rockflower Anemone help - Shrinking?

mhaley98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
I got this beautiful rock flower anemone on January 12th of this year. It has grown more vibrant the longer I have had it, and has seemed to be doing great up until maybe a week ago.
Recently I have noticed that it appears that it is almost shrinking? (which I know can be a sign that it isn't doing well.) I target feed it mysis or brine shrimp once a week.
I have also noticed that it has a brown stringy layer around the base of the foot where it is dug into the sand (can't find anything about this online)
I am just wondering if it is anything I should be worried about, I know it is hard to tell from the photos, but it is definitely smaller than it usually is. I do have two other rock flower nems on the other side of my tank that appear to be doing well, although they are in a more so shaded area of my tank.
Possible causes?:
- Could it be possible that it is getting too much light? (light intensity of my tank has not changed since I got it).
- Could it be possible that it is getting too much flow? (flow intensity also has not changed)
- Could it be coral warfare from softies, or other rock flower nems? (GSP, Zoas, mushrooms, ricordea)
- I slowly switched my salts about a month ago from red sea coral pro to the blue bucket red sea salt. (I switched because I was having issues maintaining my alk. No issues with fluctuating alk anymore since the switch, nem was fine when alk was fluctuating)
- I have been doing water changes once a week for the past month to maintain my parameters better (I know water changes can make them angry)
- I added a protein skimmer last week, but I only run it for maybe 2 hours every day.
Thanks for your input!
(full tank photo is from a couple of months ago, likely in Feb, close up is from today)
Most recent parameters:
Temp: 77 (fluctuates a bit but goes no lower than 76.0)
Salinity: 1.025
Calcium: 400ppm
KH: 9
pH: 8.2
Phosphate: 0-0.25 (API test, massive range, going to get a more sensitive kit for more precise reading)
Potassium: 380ppm
Mag: 1260
My Tank:
15 gallon cube
Kessil 350 (only turned up maybe 30% on blues, less than 10% on whites)
HOB filter with carbon, filter floss, ceramic rubble stuff in pouch
In tank skimmer (bubble magnus)
ATO
Inhabitants:
- 2 clowns
- Halloween Hermit crab
- 1 red hermit and one blue and red hermit
- 1 golden coral banded shrimp (the small kind that won't grow as big)
- 7 different kinds of snails

438065156_1079651019782534_8790273111729943765_n.jpg 438083713_984073089811093_794081375713429156_n.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about the light or flow, they will move if they want.

It looks good in the pic above, and I don't see anything alarming in your post.....

If anything at all I would say keep an eye on the coral banded shrimp. I don't know if it would munch on an rfa, but I did used to have one that ate my sun coral.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back